https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/122683-impossible_to_read_target_ppt_files_after_cleanup_with_trados.html

Impossible to read target .ppt files after CleanUp with Trados
Thread poster: Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 19:31
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 9, 2008

The problem I've encountered is as follows: the target MS PowerPoint files cannot be read after a cleanup operation with Trados because the font. or rather the coding looks something like this:
ђќњЄџќљґњіЏ@xќћџќ њЋђ
ЉёЛЮj@ЪЮєjЮы@Пё@ЭНjјЯюпКj@єЪЫЬЪЭыK

I received the source English PowerPoint files from Japan, then I opened the first one of them in TagEditor, translated it into Russian and cleaned it up. After that, I open the t
... See more
The problem I've encountered is as follows: the target MS PowerPoint files cannot be read after a cleanup operation with Trados because the font. or rather the coding looks something like this:
ђќњЄџќљґњіЏ@xќћџќ њЋђ
ЉёЛЮj@ЪЮєjЮы@Пё@ЭНjјЯюпКj@єЪЫЬЪЭыK

I received the source English PowerPoint files from Japan, then I opened the first one of them in TagEditor, translated it into Russian and cleaned it up. After that, I open the target translated .ppt file and see this mishmash of strange characters. However, if I copy the Russian words and paste them in the Notepad, they appear quite fine.
Another strange thing that happened is when I first tried to open the target English Powerpoint files sent to me from Japan, the MS Office 2003 Installer started and installed automatically some components. Now I see that some new tabs appeared in the Word Options window with some Asian options.

The question is how can I produce translated ppt. files with a normal coding?

I use Trados 7.1 Freelance, MS Office 2003 Pro, Windows XP Pro SP2

Any help is highly appreciated.
Collapse

sivtufte
sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:31
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Asian settings... Dec 9, 2008

I have no experience whatsoever in your language combinations, but somehow I remember these vague things about Japanese settings... I tried to search backwards in the forums, still not quite remembering what the Q I look for is...

There MIGHT besome useful info on settings that garble
... See more
I have no experience whatsoever in your language combinations, but somehow I remember these vague things about Japanese settings... I tried to search backwards in the forums, still not quite remembering what the Q I look for is...

There MIGHT besome useful info on settings that garble up your work, in this one:

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/113377-shruti_and_mangal_fonts_office_2003_do_not_work.html

(- Note: even if the languagepairs are no match, asian settings may be used even with the english source text. ) Be open minded, and search forums for technical issues - there's a lot of really useful info out there.

Best wishes, I hope you manage to work it out.
Siv
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to read target .ppt files after CleanUp with Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »