Thread poster: Clarisa Olives

Clarisa Olives
Argentina
Local time: 03:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 10, 2008

Hi experts,

I have been asked to do a translation test for an agency. The thing is I cannot start it since I don´t understand how to apply an .ini file they ask me to apply in the TM. I have received a folder with a .doc, but they want and .htm file. Maybe this has to do with the .ini? Any idea? They want me to do the following:

1. Create a new TM and apply the .ini file provided in the TM folder.

2. Translate the .htm file in TagEditor.

Thank you all,

Clarisa

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Well, in fact you have all you need there Dec 10, 2008

Just follow the steps given.
First, create a new Translation Memory. I hope this does not need any further comments.
Then, with the translation memory open, go to Options, Translation Memory Options and chose "Tools". Press the "Tag Settings" button there.
You'll see the Tag Settings screen.
In this screen press "Open" on the right side and navigate to the folder where you stored the necessary *.ini file. Select it and click "Open".
Now press OK to close this window and once again OK to close the Translation Memory Options.
Now start Tageditor. In Tageditor go to Tools, chose Tagsettings. Repeat same steps as above, if you fail to see your *.ini you just loaded.
Now open the html file for translation.
Most probably Tageditor will tell you, that it has found more than one corresponding settings file - chose exactly that one you just loaded and you're done.

Ius Translation
United States
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
.ini & .xml Dec 11, 2008

Dear Jerzy,

Thank you so much for the info on .ini! I've just came across it and it's a valuable input for newbies like myself!

If I may, I'd like to ask you another question: I have 4 .xml to be translated in TagEditor and a .ini. Can all 4 of them be opened simultaneously? (after opening the .ini)? Or do I have to go 1 by 1?

Thanks in advance!

Romina

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can open them all at once Dec 11, 2008

you could even try to "glue" them - there is a special tool for gluing and ungluing files in the Trados program group. However, sometimes it refuses to unglue files, so you might end up translating them again from your TM.

Ius Translation
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
.xml's Dec 11, 2008

Thank you for the prompt response Jerzy!

Since it is my first time doing this, I'd probably stick to the 1 by 1.

Regarding the 1st message on .ini: you always have to do the ".ini setting" 1st in TWB and then in TagEditor before actually translating? May I ask why we cannot directly do the setting in TagEditor?

Thank you for the patience, I really appreciate it.

Romina.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
xml and other files requiring an ini file will "introduce" themselves to Tageditor Dec 11, 2008

what means, that if you once have opened (and thus set up) the necessary ini file, when you next time open a file of the same type Tageditor will recognise the necessary ini and load it automaticaly without asking. Only if two or more matching ini files will be found, you will be asked to chose one.
The setting in the TWB is only for analysing and processing files in the Translators Workbench and thus even not always necessary.
You can just open the corresponding ini in Tageditor, open the file, save it as ttx and process this ttx in the TWB. Then it will not ask for the ini anymore.

Ius Translation
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you again Dec 11, 2008

It's been a pleasure!

Ius Translation
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
cleaning the .ttx file Dec 15, 2008

Dear Jerzy,

I really don't know if this question can be posted here, but I'd like to ask you another question regarding the .ini and .xml file that I've translated from English into Spanish:

1-What I do not really understand, and I cannot find a thorough explanation in the manuals is what do I need to do to fix the problems that the verification brings up. I've enabled the SDL TRADOS Generic Tag Verifier and the XML Validator, I go to the location by right clicking on the comment and that's how far I get. I don't understand how to fix them...

2-the original .xml and the cleaned .ttx have like a broken code at the beginning (it says "%entitydeclarations; ]") and I'd like to take that out, but I really don't know if that's possible and accurate to do. [Another thing that I see is that along with the .xml to translate I have an .ent file which name is "entitydeclarations". I haven't touch this file since I don't know what's for but the name of it is identical with the portion of the "broken code" at the beginning of my translation...]

The original file looks like this:

Legal Noticeupdated 06-10-06
Copyright © 2006 Empresax Corporation.
All rights reserved.

And in the preview looks like this:

%entitydeclarations; ]>Copyright © 2006 Empresax Corporation.

The cleaned looks like this in the Preview:

%entitydeclarations; ]>Copyright © 2006 Sociedad EmpresaX.

Thank you in advance,
Romina.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Answer to question 1 Dec 17, 2008

You said you can get where the error is reported.
That's fine.
Now, you simply need to open the segment as would you like to translate it again and correct what the error message says.

I'm sorry, but I do not have an answer to your second question.
This is something what seems not to be 100% xml-conform.
Maybe you could ask your customer.

Ius Translation
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
You are right Dec 18, 2008

Thank you again. Since it's my 1st time working with .xml's & .htm's it gets confusing...I've been told that sometimes the title although it's been translated, it cannot be seen on the Preview pane. That these files are not as "polished" as a .doc one on a preview...

So I've got a few more questions:

1- Should I open a new post to discuss this subject?

2- Is there a trick to "see" what I cannot really see in the Preview pane of TagEditor? I'm sorry, but it's NOT a tricky question! (!!) Since, I'd like to "see" the context some of the translated TU's are in...

3- I'm now translating an .htm that is filled with tags...and the TagEditor opens the segments to translate, so I do translate them but they look like "code". When I open the Preview pane I cannot see any of what I've translated. Should I translate those TU's? Can they be skipped in any way and not harm the translation? or is that anything that the TagEditor "opens" in Edit mode is to be translated/opened although it cannot be seen in the preview pane?

Thank you again for your patience and helpfulness !

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What you are asking for here is training Dec 18, 2008

Ius Translation wrote:

Thank you again. Since it's my 1st time working with .xml's & .htm's it gets confusing...I've been told that sometimes the title although it's been translated, it cannot be seen on the Preview pane. That these files are not as "polished" as a .doc one on a preview...

So I've got a few more questions:

1- Should I open a new post to discuss this subject?

I'm afraid even if a different topic it won't be easy to handle your questions.

2- Is there a trick to "see" what I cannot really see in the Preview pane of TagEditor? I'm sorry, but it's NOT a tricky question! (!!) Since, I'd like to "see" the context some of the translated TU's are in...

I do not really know what you want to see.
Preview for html is showing the html as it will be displayed later in the browser.
So you should see everything translatable there. With one slight exception - sometimes tags do contain translatable text and in order to translate this you would need to modify ini settings. But without exactly knowing what is in your file I can't tell you how to do that.

8quote]3- I'm now translating an .htm that is filled with tags...and the TagEditor opens the segments to translate, so I do translate them but they look like "code". When I open the Preview pane I cannot see any of what I've translated. Should I translate those TU's? Can they be skipped in any way and not harm the translation? or is that anything that the TagEditor "opens" in Edit mode is to be translated/opened although it cannot be seen in the preview pane?[/quote]
Same as above - without having the file you are translating I even do not know what do you mean with "they look like code".
Tageditor is offering only what should be translated (well, mostly and usually).

I'm afraid you will need to attend an online or onsite course for Trados - maybe ProZ is offering something in your neighbourhood.
If not now, then quite certainly next year.

BR
Jerzy

Ius Translation
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm doing that Dec 18, 2008

Thanks again, and yes, I'm on an online workshop...I'll better ask the trainer:grin:.

Just wanted to see if it was a simple matter to deal with.

BR,

Romina

Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Purpose of the ini file? Oct 16, 2009

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what is the purpose of an ini file? What does it do? What is it good for?

If you get an ini file from your customer, do you have to deliver something else than just the TagEditor (.ttx) file back to them later?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
INI File Oct 16, 2009

Hi Annika,
INI files are used to open XML files in TagEditor. In short, the information stored in the INI file will tell TagEditor which content is translatable and which isn't and how to treat the individual tags (external X internal ones). It also stores information about converting special characters into entities, keeping line breaks etc.

You only need to deliver the TTX file back.

I hope this helps a little.

Annika Hedqvist  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Thank you! Oct 18, 2009

Thank you, Stanislav. It does make some degree of sense to me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.ini file

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search