Trados 2006: Changing floating licenses to nodelocked licenses
Thread poster: Antti Salminen
Antti Salminen
Local time: 08:21
English to Finnish
Dec 13, 2008

We have a little LAN consisting of two computers and hence two floating Trados 2006 licenses sitting on one of the computers. Now one of us is changing location permanently, so the floating license in a LAN will not work anymore. Is it possible to swap a floating license (containing actually two licenses) to two separate nodelocked (or floating) licenses? If yes, how should I go about it?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-13 23:22 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Just borrow the licence... Dec 13, 2008

Antti Salminen wrote:

We have a little LAN consisting of two computers and hence two floating Trados 2006 licenses sitting on one of the computers. Now one of us is changing location permanently, so the floating license in a LAN will not work anymore. Is it possible to swap a floating license (containing actually two licenses) to two separate nodelocked (or floating) licenses? If yes, how should I go about it?

I think, you shold contact the SDL staffif you really want it.

The best way is tp borrow the licences.
By default, it's 28 days, it's not very annoying.

In most cases, the node lockad licence may be a pain in the ass in case pf problems, the licence borrowing is more flexible.

Of course, you can use VPN in order to contact your licence server.
But you should habe your nternet connetion enabled all the time.
It may be extremely annoying.

Cheers
GG

Antti Salminen
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think borrowing would work Dec 14, 2008

since we will be working in different places. Would it not be possible to return the merged floating license (consisting of two licenses) and re-download them separately to our two computers?

I must say that it seems to be very difficult to get in touch with Trados staff without an expensive Support Contract...

French to Polish
+ ...
Return and regenerate... Dec 14, 2008

Antti Salminen wrote:

since we will be working in different places. Would it not be possible to return the merged floating license (consisting of two licenses) and re-download them separately to our two computers?.

Yes, if you return both licenses, you'll be able to enter the number of licenses you want to (re)generate for every license server.

I must say that it seems to be very difficult to get in touch with Trados staff without an expensive Support Contract...

Befere I bought the PSMA, I never managed to get any help in any serious time frame although all my problems were related to the installation i.e." covered free of charge by SDL".

BTW, the floating version is always more flexible, i.e. you can install and use the software on several machines, so the switch to the node locked licensing is almost always a penalty.
In fact, SDL promotes the node locked licences sales, a new NL licence is cheaper than a Floating licence but when you realize you need to work with the software on multiple machines, the only one solution may be to buy a new licence...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-14 15:06 GMT]

Antti Salminen
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help! Dec 14, 2008

Well, if I can re-generate the licenses I think that solves the problem - at least theoretically. Practically it can be tough, as I realized last summer after a strike of lightning on our house that forced me re-install the whole LAN, Trados included.

Anyway, thank you for your time, much appreciated.

French to Polish
+ ...
MAC number.. Dec 14, 2008

Antti Salminen wrote:

Well, if I can re-generate the licenses I think that solves the problem - at least theoretically. Practically it can be tough, as I realized last summer after a strike of lightning on our house that forced me re-install the whole LAN, Trados included.

Select the licence file based on the network card number (MAC).
The disk number is more annoying when you're forced to reinstall and reformat your disk (of course, if your network card is damaged, you'll have a problem but it's less frequent than HDD issues).

Anyway, thank you for your time, much appreciated.

Thanks

Cheers
GG

Antti Salminen
English to Finnish
TOPIC STARTER
Taking back my criticism... Dec 16, 2008

Well, Trados actually got back to me very swiftly - with no cost - and sorted out the problem - kudos for that! Still, it is not very straightforward to get in touch with them through their website.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2006: Changing floating licenses to nodelocked licenses

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search