How to reverse languages in a translation memory?
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 20:40
English to Greek
+ ...
Dec 16, 2008

Hello,

I usually translate from English into Greek, and I have a considerable TM in that language combination. Now, I have a project Greek-English, with remarkable similarities to the English-Greek projects which I generally do, and I would like to make use of my TM. Is there a way to reverse languages in the TM?

Many thanks,
Eleni

Direct link Reply with quote

Veroniki Velli  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Export, Create new memory, Import Dec 16, 2008

Hello Eleni,

You should export your memory to a txt file. Then create a new memory Greek-English and import the txt file to this new memory.

Regards,
Veroniki

Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That simple? Dec 16, 2008

I hadn't imagined that it would be as simple as that. I will try your suggestion.

Σε ευχαριστώ!

Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
French to English
Olifant Dec 16, 2008

Hi Eleni,

An alternative method is to use a free program called Olifant (which is also quite handy for overcoming TM format problems between Wordfast and Trados).

Anyway, make a copy of your translation memory and save it under a different name (to prevent the original TM from being overwritten). Then open it in Olifant and click on "Utilities" > "Swap Source and Target". That's it!

Good luck

Simon

Veroniki Velli  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
It is that simple! Dec 17, 2008

Yes, it is that (unbelievably) simple.

Καλή σου μέρα
Βερονίκη

Simon Mountifield  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
French to English
Wordfast itself Dec 17, 2008

Actually, I was doing something in Wordfast yesterday and I came across yet another solution (in the TM editor).

Open Wordfast's TM editor (the icon above the "f icon), click on "Tools" and in the "Special filters" list box, select "Reverse source and target". I haven't tried it personally, but I'm sure it works.

Simon

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to reverse languages in a translation memory?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search