Carmen Lyman
Carmen Lyman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 17, 2008

I need to buy a new laptop that is compatible with the 32-bit version requirement of Trados as well as all their other specifications. Could you recommend any? I called them to ask them point blank, but they couldn't recommend anything. Apparently it's getting hard to find 32-bit version laptops that are also decent computers.
Thanks.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:09
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Win Xp and Vista are 32-bit... Dec 17, 2008

Please, start worrying only when they start demanding 64-bit laptops... (Let the power of RTFM be with you.)

[Редактировалось 2008-12-17 23:21 GMT]

George Fabian
George Fabian
Local time: 06:09
Polish to English
Don't worry Dec 17, 2008

All 64-bit processors will run 32-bit programs. Won't work the other way around though. If you wanted to FIND 64-bit applications, that could be more of a problem (at least for the time being). Just look at what M$ had with XP 64-bit. No drivers, i.e. no sales. In any case, I've got a 64-bit dual core AMD processor running under XP Professional SP2 and no problems whatsoever (incl. SDL Trados).

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
HP business laptops Dec 18, 2008

I have a HP laptop with 17 inch screen as a business version (no mirror effect when working). Vista and Trados work excellently together, no need to downgrade to XP.
(A friend noticed I'm the only person he knows that does not complain about Vista, but I really have no reason to complain, even if I have been opposed to MS for decades).

My screen has 1440 x 900 pixels max, but I had to reduce the resolution to 1280x768, because the scripts were far too small for my eyes. So I
... See more
I have a HP laptop with 17 inch screen as a business version (no mirror effect when working). Vista and Trados work excellently together, no need to downgrade to XP.
(A friend noticed I'm the only person he knows that does not complain about Vista, but I really have no reason to complain, even if I have been opposed to MS for decades).

My screen has 1440 x 900 pixels max, but I had to reduce the resolution to 1280x768, because the scripts were far too small for my eyes. So I don't see any reason why I would buy a more expensive screen with 17 inches diameter.

Cheers
Heinrich
Collapse

Carmen Lyman
Carmen Lyman  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:09
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for replies Dec 19, 2008

Trados tech office actually told me 64-bits aren't compatible with most/many Trados applications when I called to complain that I couldn't install Trados to my new laptop because of the 64-bits.
I bought my computer at Costco and interestingly there was only one 32-bit version.

Thanks for all the replies!!

[Edited at 2008-12-19 06:10 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

32-bit version laptop - problem with Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »