SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance on two computers
Thread poster: Johannes Pohl

Johannes Pohl
Local time: 01:11
English to German
+ ...
Dec 20, 2008

Hi everyone,

after purchasing the SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance license, is it possible to install and run the software on two computers that do NOT share the same network at the same time? If so, does that work by downloading a second license provided in "My Licenses" in your account?

I know that similar questions have been posted regarding previous TRADOS versions, but I haven't found a topic covering the newest version.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2008-12-21 02:13 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomas Forro  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
It is possible Dec 20, 2008

Dear Johannes,
As long as I know, it works without problems. The only thing is that you cannot use Trados on two different computers at the same time. It is quite handy, if you have a desktop PC and at the same time you are using for example laptop whenever you are travelling.

You simply insert the same license you use on the first PC to the second installation and Trados will register second computer's network card's MAC address via internet.
I didn't have a problem with this

Johannes Pohl
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't I even use TRADOS simultaneously on two computers even if they're not on the same network? Dec 21, 2008

Hi Tomas,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just to be sure ... you're saying that I can use Trados on two different computers, but not at the same time? Does this also apply if the two computers are not part of the same network? If so, is that due to the internet validation of the MAC address?

And once I've installed the software on the laptop and registered the license, can I switch between the two computers without any further adjusting of the license as long as I don't use Trados on both computers simultaneously?

Thanks in advance for further information

Kind regards,
Johannes

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:11
English to Indonesian
+ ...
indeed Dec 21, 2008

cmiiw, trados does provide license for two computers.

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
not legally Dec 21, 2008

Dear Johannes,

Johannes Pohl wrote:
Just to be sure ... you're saying that I can use Trados on two different computers, but not at the same time? Does this also apply if the two computers are not part of the same network? If so, is that due to the internet validation of the MAC address?

No way, you can't run one Trados licence on two machines at the same time. I mean, you can, but either you need to disable internet connection on one of them with firewall (alternative is to disable just one particular process that is responsible for connecting Trados to its server - you can do this by creating such a rule in your firewall settings), or do some little dirty work with MAC address of your PC.

In fact, it is quite reasonable - it works the same way with most of software, one PC = one licence. If you need to use it at the same time on two pcs, it already means there are two people using it and it's time to buy two licences.

What really sucks is the fact that even if you have two freelance licences, you can't run them on one internet connection at the same time - that is a shamefully dirty policy of SDL.

And once I've installed the software on the laptop and registered the license, can I switch between the two computers without any further adjusting of the license as long as I don't use Trados on both computers simultaneously?

Exactly, Trados registers your both MAC addresses on its server and your licence is already assigned to both of them. You should have no problem at this point.
If you'll need to change the computer for example, then you'll have to contact Trados and ask them to remove the licence from one of the PCs.
But that's from what I know. I'm not really any expert on Trados.

Johannes Pohl
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being a decent citizen I'd like to stay within the realms of legality Dec 21, 2008

Hi Tomas,

thanks for elaborating on this.

What really sucks is the fact that even if you have two freelance licences, you can't run them on one internet connection at the same time - that is a shamefully dirty policy of SDL.

Or a clever way to sell more Professional Suite licenses.

Well, be that as it may, looks like I'm gonna have to go pro

Have a merry Christmas!
Johannes

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
You can... Dec 22, 2008

Hello Johannes,

I'd like to clarify that you can install SDL Trados 2007 Suite on two computers using the same activation code. The only restriction is not to run them concurrently or on the same network, which would require the professional version.

We offer this flexibility because we understand that most freelance translators run SDL Trados on a PC and a laptop.

Simply install the software on the second computer and then use your activation code to activate it. Please note that there is a restriction on your activation code for two activations only.

I hope this helps.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
That's it Dec 22, 2008

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Johannes,

I'd like to clarify that you can install SDL Trados 2007 Suite on two computers using the same activation code. The only restriction is not to run them concurrently or on the same network, which would require the professional version.

We offer this flexibility because we understand that most freelance translators run SDL Trados on a PC and a laptop.

Simply install the software on the second computer and then use your activation code to activate it. Please note that there is a restriction on your activation code for two activations only.

I hope this helps.

Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Exactly; I've been using Trados on my desktop and on my laptop simultaneously since I bought it. It IS fully legitimate and legal.

Yibo Wen Zhu
United States
Local time: 19:11
Spanish to Chinese
+ ...
SDL Trados Freelance 2007 and Mac OS X Dec 31, 2008

I am SDL Trados Freelance Suite User. I have just bought a new laptop computer, I would like to know if my Trados Freelance 2007 works with Mac operating system?

Thank you very much!

Johannes Pohl
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately no Dec 31, 2008

Hi Yibo,

according to the system requirements on this page, it doesn't I'm afraid:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/landing/sdl-trados-2007-suite-faq.asp#tag_7

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance runs on Windows Vista, Windows XP and Windows 2000. Windows Vista 32-bit or Windows XP is recommended for optimum performance. PC with Pentium IV or compatible processor 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended).

To run SDL Trados 2007 on a 64-bit operating system, you will need to upgrade your current version of the software to SDL Trados 2007 Suite (Build 863).

Kind regards,
Johannes

[Edited at 2008-12-31 09:50 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Trados on Mac... Dec 31, 2008

yibo wen wrote:

I am SDL Trados Freelance Suite User. I have just bought a new laptop computer, I would like to know if my Trados Freelance 2007 works with Mac operating system?

No.
Trados doesn't work directly on Mac.
You need to buy and install Windows using software like Parallels Desktops or VMWare Fusion.
Or Virtual Box (available for free as open source).

BTW.
I still have Trados installed in a virtual Windows machine (Virtual PC for Mac, discontinued from 4 years now) on an old PowerBook G4.
It's damn slow but it works.
The modern solutions mentioned above are more performant

PS.
If you want use a CAT directly on Mac, take a look on Swordfish, Wordfast 6 or OmegaT (list not exhaustive).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-31 11:23 GMT]

Heras  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Third activation of SDL Trados 2007 Jan 5, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

"Simply install the software on the second computer and then use your activation code to activate it. Please note that there is a restriction on your activation code for two activations only."

I had to format twice my HD a few weeks ago and I lost my SDL Trados 2007 Suite. Now, when I try to activate it, I get this error message: "Could not contact activation server (Error code 50041)".

Can you tell me what to do? It's necessary to buy another license?

Thanks

Florentino Heras

Kristina Orsic Manojlovic
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
two activations, but one computer needs cleaning May 12, 2009

I am also worried about this issue.

I use SDL Trados on my desktop and will now also install it on my laptop. And that I understand is ok and can be done.

However, I will be using my laptop when travelling and in all other times I will use my desktop. Now my desktop is having issues and I want to clean it completely. Is it possible to do a complete clean up and re-install the software on my desktop (without losing it)?

Kristina

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Yes May 12, 2009

Hi Kristina,
first of all and before formatting your desktop's HDD you will need to return your activated license.
Launch the License Manger and press "View Activated Licenses...". A list of active licenses will open. Click the license you want to return and press "Return License".

You can then format your desktop's HDD. After you have cleaned your machine, you can download and install Trados again and use the activation code from your profile on translationzone.com.

Poland
Member (2008)
English to Slovak
+ ...
No need to return licence May 12, 2009

first of all and before formatting your desktop's HDD you will need to return your activated license.
Launch the License Manger and press "View Activated Licenses...". A list of active licenses will open. Click the license you want to return and press "Return License".

Hi
I don't think this is necessary. As long as you just format your HDD, it should be no problem installing the Trados again. I did this a couple of times and there is no need to bother with returning the licence!
Your licence is registered on your MAC address (the address of your network card, LAN or WLAN) and it has nothing to do with the hard disk. It remains the same even if you change the HDD completely.

You return your licence only in case you were using Trados on 2 computers previously and now you want to add another (third) computer, while discarding the licence in one of those two.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance on two computers

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search