Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:29
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Dec 22, 2008

I am attempting to use SDL Trados version 8.3.0.863 (Build 863) with MS Office 2003 PowerPoint (.ppt) files.

Since I installed the most recent Trados update (Build 863), TadEditor systematically crashes immediately. It was working OK before I installed the update/patch.

I have tried registering Trados as well as performing a repair installation, but this has had no effect on the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Version number? Dec 22, 2008

Are you sure you got the version number right? I thought my 8.2.0.835 (Build 836) of TagEditor was the most current version...?

You may want to try uninstalling, rebooting and then re-installing Trados 2007 SP2 to resolve the immediate issue and also check http://talisma.sdl.com for possible solutions.

HTH,

Benjamin

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm certain about the build number 8.3.0.863 (Build 863) Dec 22, 2008

I've checked the version number again and I'm quite sure it is 8.3.0.863 (Build 863).

I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.

Thanks,
Paul

Marketing-Lang.
Marketing-Lang.  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Hi all, any news on this issue? Jan 9, 2009

Any news on this issue? I have exactly the same symptoms.
-Mike-

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Issue still not resolved Jan 9, 2009

Hi Mike,

No news at all yet.

I've found a workaround by converting the .ppt files into OpenOffice files, which then open in TagEditor for translation.

I will need to get in touch with SDL Trados Support to help me sort this out, but I haven't done so yet.

I'll make a posting here when I finally manage to resolve this.

All the best,
Paul

Roland Glasser
Roland Glasser  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:29
French to English
Save Powerpoint 2003 as 2007 workaround Mar 10, 2009

I just spoke to SDL and they advised me that one workaround (if the original ppt. files are the 2003 version) is to save the Powerpoint 2003 file as a Powerpoint 2007 file: File > Save As and then select Powerpoint 2007. There are several options here (Macro-enabled presentation, template, macro-enabled template...), but I just selected Powerpoint 2007 Presentation and now it works! Apparently you need to make sure you have the Powerpoint compatability patch if you're running a pre-2007 Powerpoi... See more
I just spoke to SDL and they advised me that one workaround (if the original ppt. files are the 2003 version) is to save the Powerpoint 2003 file as a Powerpoint 2007 file: File > Save As and then select Powerpoint 2007. There are several options here (Macro-enabled presentation, template, macro-enabled template...), but I just selected Powerpoint 2007 Presentation and now it works! Apparently you need to make sure you have the Powerpoint compatability patch if you're running a pre-2007 Powerpoint version (if you've been diligently updating Windows and Office then you should have this patch already).

Once you've done this you then need to save the Powerpoint file as a Powerpoint 2003 file again before working on it in Tageditor, or else you won't be open it in Powerpoint afterwards.

So, to be clear, you take your Powerpoint 2003 file, save it as a Powerpoint 2007 file the save it back to Powerpoint 2003, then open it in Tageditor.

Cumbersome and a little strange I know, but it seems to work!

Oh, one last thing, there seems to be a particular issue with text boxes inside text boxes (according to my SDL source). I have certainly noticed that most Powerpoint files open without any problem, but it does seem to be the fiddly, and often full of business-jargon-garbage-crap with weird formatting slides that crash Tageditor...

[Edited at 2009-03-10 23:33 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Support Team… Mar 11, 2009

Hi Roland,

I'm glad we could help. We have recently released several hotfixes for SDL Trados 2007 Suite and one of them fixes an issue with TagEditor handling some custom textboxes in PowerPoint 2003 files.

I recommend you install the hotfixes to see if it resolves your issue and to stay up to date with the latest filters.

You can find the hotfixes from the following article in our knowledge base:

... See more
Hi Roland,

I'm glad we could help. We have recently released several hotfixes for SDL Trados 2007 Suite and one of them fixes an issue with TagEditor handling some custom textboxes in PowerPoint 2003 files.

I recommend you install the hotfixes to see if it resolves your issue and to stay up to date with the latest filters.

You can find the hotfixes from the following article in our knowledge base:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2360&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 11, 2009

Hi Roland,

Thank you for the information.

I tried it and I also found that I could open the files successfully.

Thanks also to Gareth for the information.

Best wishes,
Paul

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quick update - issue resolved Mar 11, 2009

Just a quick additional note to say that I downloaded and installed the hotfixes and this has solved the problem.

Thanks again to all.

Best regards,
Paul

Luciana Sosa
Luciana Sosa  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:29
English to Spanish
Issue resolved too! Feb 8, 2012

Thanks for posting this issue, you guys just saved me a lot of time.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor crashes when opening a .ppt file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »