Thread poster: Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2008

Apologies for the stupid question, but a job has just been posted in my language pair that requires Trados and Tag Editor. I've just purchased Trados, but I've not yet used it. Does "Tag Editor" come with the Trados package or is this a separate program? If separate, does it cost money, and if it costs money where does one purchase it?

Okay, a number of pretty rudimentary questions here....

Happy holidays to all!

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:35
French to English
Thanks for asking Dec 23, 2008

Odd you asked this question Robert as I was wondering about Tag Editor this afternoon. I have been a translator for 2O years without using Tag Editor and am suddenly curious about it. What does it do better than others?

Buck
Buck
Netherlands
Local time: 07:35
Dutch to English
What is Tag Editor? Dec 23, 2008

A pain in the a*se, if you ask me. We have recently started using it in the office for PowerPoint files, for example. You have to make sure you don't accidentally delete a tag or forget to copy one and you can't make any changes to a string that isn't open. I much prefer TW. Just my opinion.

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:35
English to Indonesian
+ ...
access to tageditor Dec 23, 2008

Robert Forstag wrote:

Apologies for the stupid question, but a job has just been posted in my language pair that requires Trados and Tag Editor. I've just purchased Trados, but I've not yet used it. Does "Tag Editor" come with the Trados package or is this a separate program? If separate, does it cost money, and if it costs money where does one purchase it?

Okay, a number of pretty rudimentary questions here....

Happy holidays to all!

it does come with the trados package. assuming you have the latest freelance version, you can access it from start - all programs - sdl international - sdl trados - sdl trados 2007 freelance - tageditor.

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
what i like... Dec 23, 2008

NR_Stedman wrote:

Odd you asked this question Robert as I was wondering about Tag Editor this afternoon. I have been a translator for 2O years without using Tag Editor and am suddenly curious about it. What does it do better than others?

i dunno whether it's better (than other cat tools), but i like it because it preserve tags and formatting better than using translator's workbench + microsoft word. it also provides one interface/tool to deal with, i.e., translate, various file formats instead of swaping between tools.

Mulyadi Subali
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
tips... Dec 23, 2008

Buck wrote:

A pain in the a*se, if you ask me. We have recently started using it in the office for PowerPoint files, for example. You have to make sure you don't accidentally delete a tag or forget to copy one and you can't make any changes to a string that isn't open. I much prefer TW. Just my opinion.

to prevent tag deletion, you can turn on the tag protection. to make sure you don't forget inserting the tag, you can set tageditor, or is it tw?, to copy the source on empty translation unit. btw, usually there's pop up window reminding us when a tag is missing or different.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:35
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Its not an editor for tags at least Dec 23, 2008

Tageditor is part of the SDL Trados package since version 6.5 at least. With TE you can translate also files that come from various publishing applications like Framemaker, Indesign and the like. Ideally you translate just the content and all formatting is preserved, so the customer can open the translation in their own application without any post-translation efforts. So TE enlarges the spectrum of environments far beyond normal word processing environments like Word.
The drawback of TE i
... See more
Tageditor is part of the SDL Trados package since version 6.5 at least. With TE you can translate also files that come from various publishing applications like Framemaker, Indesign and the like. Ideally you translate just the content and all formatting is preserved, so the customer can open the translation in their own application without any post-translation efforts. So TE enlarges the spectrum of environments far beyond normal word processing environments like Word.
The drawback of TE is the missing on-line spelling checker.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:35
Japanese to English
You can set a spell checker for TE Dec 24, 2008

You can use a spell checker when closing segments, but you have to set it up first.

Use:

Tools > Plug-ins to choose a spell checker

then

Tools > Options > Spelling to set the options

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:35
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
And of course you can spell check Dec 24, 2008

... At any time. For example, when you are finished with your translation, click F7.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Tag Editor?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »