Multiterm - How to transfer old TD content into new structure?
Thread poster: xxxMH2008
xxxMH2008
English to Japanese
Dec 23, 2008

I am using Multiterm 7.5.0.444. I have an old Termbase that contains over 11000 entries in multiple languages. It has been decided that the structure of the TD needs to change, so I will need to transfer all the legacy content into a new Termbase that follows the new structure. The field names do not match between the old and new TDs. What is the best way to do this conversion? I initially thought I could export the legacy TD into an Excel format, change the order and the title of the columns to be compatible with the new TD structure, use Multiterm convert to create an XML and then import that XML into the new TD, but the first step, exporting into an Excel format does not seem to work, since not all entries have the exact same fields populated the data gets misalligned. I would appreciate advice regarding how to work around this. Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:19
French to Polish
+ ...
Across... MT5... XML edition... Dec 27, 2008

MH2008 wrote:

I am using Multiterm 7.5.0.444. I have an old Termbase that contains over 11000 entries in multiple languages. It has been decided that the structure of the TD needs to change, so I will need to transfer all the legacy content into a new Termbase that follows the new structure. The field names do not match between the old and new TDs. What is the best way to do this conversion? I initially thought I could export the legacy TD into an Excel format, change the order and the title of the columns to be compatible with the new TD structure, use Multiterm convert to create an XML and then import that XML into the new TD, but the first step, exporting into an Excel format does not seem to work, since not all entries have the exact same fields populated the data gets misalligned.

The MT programmers are idiots and are unable to produce correct CSV (Excel) files.
In fact, none of MT export filters work as expected.

I would appreciate advice regarding how to work around this. Thank you!

IMHO the best approach for dummies is to import the XML file in Across, then export as CSV.
Across is free of charge for freelance translators although the registration page is not easy to find
Attention, the download is huge (it contains the MS SQL Server Express, it makes approx. 0.5 GB).

Your termbase structure is very complex?
If yes, you may need to modify the Across termbase structure (i.e. add the missing fields).

If you don't want to install Across, another possibility is to create your own export filter for MT5 (not intuitive at all but you have no other way, the default MT5 export is a crap i.e. it doesn't work for multiple languages), modify the field names in the MT5 text file, create a MT5 termbase with the same field structure, then import the MT5 binary termbase to MT7.
Frankly, I think it's more annoying than the Acress process

In fact, every complex export from MT7 is a pain in the arse.

PS.
If you change only the field names, it may be sufficient to open your XML file in a good text editor as Notepad++ and make the changes directly in the XML file (global search and replace operations).

BTW.
A skilled XML programmer should write a transformation in a breeze.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-27 11:56 GMT]

xxxMH2008
English to Japanese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 2, 2009

Thank you very much for your input and advice Grzegorz, I appreciate it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm - How to transfer old TD content into new structure?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search