TE/TW: refuses to add first quotation mark in segment
Thread poster: pernillal
pernillal
pernillal
Local time: 00:52
English to Swedish
Dec 27, 2008

I have a problem in translating an .inx-file in Tageditor. (Trados 2007)
When clicking Open/get the program skips the first quotation mark, and only opens the word and the last quotation mark.

"[tag]Netotsi"
opens as: Netotsi"
and the program skips the first part: "[tag]

How do I get workbench/tageditor to open the first part?
Since the first quotation mark is different in Enlish and Swedish, I really need to find out how to change the first
... See more
I have a problem in translating an .inx-file in Tageditor. (Trados 2007)
When clicking Open/get the program skips the first quotation mark, and only opens the word and the last quotation mark.

"[tag]Netotsi"
opens as: Netotsi"
and the program skips the first part: "[tag]

How do I get workbench/tageditor to open the first part?
Since the first quotation mark is different in Enlish and Swedish, I really need to find out how to change the first one.
Why doesn't the program recognize the first quotation mark and tag as a part of the segment?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Our little trick Dec 28, 2008

It might not be very scientific, but over the years we have been using the little trick of adding a letter before the tag, as follows:
"a[tag]Netotsi

Give it a try! There must be some way of doing this with Trados settings, but we haven't been able to find it and preferred not to fiddle around with the segmentation too much to avoid wordcount differences with the customers.

pernillal
pernillal
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
How do I add the letter? Dec 28, 2008

Thank you for your reply.

How do I go about adding that extra letter? TE won't let me edit anything in the text unless it's in an open segment. I have tried turning tag protection off, but that doesn't seem to help.

Marcelo Silveyra
Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 15:52
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
To add the letter... Dec 28, 2008

Tools > Options > Protection tab - uncheck "Protect document" under "Document protection" (in English) - that should do the trick!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TE/TW: refuses to add first quotation mark in segment

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »