Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:03
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 27, 2008

I had to load a itd-file from SDLX into Trados TE, because SDLX would crash. But now I have all segments pretranslated (source segment = target segment). I would like to remove the rest of the pretranslated segments so I could get the fuzzy matches from the TM. But how?

I cannot start from a fresh file as Trados was not able to use the original file. Only SDLX could, but then it started to crash after the first 200 segments. However TE seems to work with the itd-file, and I can save the translation into Word.
Bit complicated, I know.

I use built 835 under Vista Business.

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 01:03
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
My way Dec 27, 2008

In the old days I wanted to do the same and I created a "Windows macro" (I use EZ Macros, but there are some more options out there, some of them free) which repeats 100 times (or whatever number I preset) the requested sequence of keyboard shortcuts. Namely, Alt+Home, Alt+Del.

There may be some more sophisticated ways, but I am not aware of them.

HTH

Antonin

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alt + del does not work here Dec 27, 2008

Because the segment is bilingual, alt+del does not work, nor is the respective icon active (restore source). But I can fetch the translation (if there is one) from WB using alt+shift+ins.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 01:03
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Curiouser and curiouser Dec 27, 2008

I had tried it before posting it, so I know Alt+Del does work here (but I ran it on a ttx file created from Word, since I don't have an .itd.ttx file easily available - I wouldn't think it can make any difference, but I am not sure, of course).

I cannot imagine how "restore source" could work on a segment that is not bilingual, so I am a bit confused by your:

Because the segment is bilingual, alt+del does not work

(on the other hand, "restore source" is only available when a segment is open, actually - may this be the problem?)

Anyway, it may be even more efficient, I mean to run automaticaly a different sequence of shortcuts you really need.

Antonin

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:03
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Redo translation? Dec 28, 2008

If I understand your situation well, I suggest redo the translation with a blank TM in SDLX. You will get all source texts in target segments.
Next, you use your previous session TM to do fuzzy translation either in *.itd or *.ttx [which does not crash with your file.]
I understand you know how to convert between *.itd and *.ttx files, and TM for Trados and SDLX. These are explained in SDLX Documentation folder.

Soonthon L.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well it is really no option Dec 28, 2008

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I cannot imagine how "restore source" could work on a segment that is not bilingual, so I am a bit confused by your:

Because the segment is bilingual, alt+del does not work

(on the other hand, "restore source" is only available when a segment is open, actually - may this be the problem?)

Antonin

I don't know why, but when I open a segment I cannot restore segment. That's the problem here.
Thanks for your help, Antonin and Soonthon.
I should have converted the file from itd to ttx, but when TE was able to open itd and translate, I just went on. Now I cannot even save bilingual to anything else than itd.

But I can manage with this situation, because I can insert translations from WB without typing them again. This seems to be a rather unique case because of a strange Word-file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I remove translations from TE-file?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search