Got a Trados project - where do I start?!!!
Thread poster: JLLTranslation

JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:27
French to English
+ ...
Jan 2, 2009

Hi,

I'm really hoping somebody will give me a bit of guidance on how to get started on a Trados project I've received from a paying client. I've used Trados before a few times and I've attended training but I use the tool so infrequently (I usually work in SDLX) that I find myself stumped each time I receive a new project. Would you be kind enough to help? Here's my project brief:

Source files:
* 736 html and htm files for conversion from EN-US to EN-UK. Please keep the structure of the folder and sub-folders. (Q: is there any way to process these files in bulk instead of opening each file separately?)

TM (.tmx) & Glossary (.mdb)
* Please make sure you use the terminology in Trados MultiTerm during translation
* Please provide updated TMs in your delivery

Notes
* Ensure HTML is with Windows code pages

Delivery format:
* Cleaned html & dirty ttx

So I've got Translator's workbench open and Trados Synergy. Where do I start? I recalled something about importing a tmx to make a tmw so I created a new tmw, imported the tmx into it and now have a tmw open on Translator's workbench. Correct? So how do I open the source files in Trados? How do I use the glossary / Multiterm? What does the note about Windows code pages mean? How do I end up with cleaned html and dirty ttx files? I think the tmw will be updated as I go along - do I have to export back to a tmx to deliver?

I'm sorry, this is probably all really basic stuff but I'm stumped. Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks, Jo

Direct link Reply with quote

Sherefedin MUSTAFA
Netherlands
Local time: 10:27
English to Macedonian
+ ...
TagEditor Jan 2, 2009

Hi Jo,

1. Start Workbench,
2. Create a new Translation Memory or import an existing one;
2. Start TagEditor and open the source file to be translated, click on "Open/Get";
insert the necessary translation; click on: Set/Close nex Open/Get and just go
ahead.

Regards,
Sh

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Trados Glue.... switching to SDLX... Jan 2, 2009

JLLTranslation wrote:

I'm really hoping somebody will give me a bit of guidance on how to get started on a Trados project I've received from a paying client. I've used Trados before a few times and I've attended training but I use the tool so infrequently (I usually work in SDLX)

You can use SDLX to work on TTX files (see SDL Exchange in the switchboard).

that I find myself stumped each time I receive a new project. Would you be kind enough to help? Here's my project brief:

Source files:
* 736 html and htm files for conversion from EN-US to EN-UK. Please keep the structure of the folder and sub-folders. (Q: is there any way to process these files in bulk instead of opening each file separately?)

Trados Glue.
Installed by default in the Trados > Tools group and displayed in Synergy.

BTW.
In DVX, you can switch to the project view and the contents of all the files is displayed in one window with no additional operations.
Another reason to leave SDL software and work as a human

TM (.tmx) & Glossary (.mdb)
* Please make sure you use the terminology in Trados MultiTerm during translation
* Please provide updated TMs in your delivery

Generally, no problem.
And you can use the termbase in SDLX.

Notes
* Ensure HTML is with Windows code pages

Normally Trados uses the Windows code page.
It will work fine, I think.

Delivery format:
* Cleaned html & dirty ttx

So I've got Translator's workbench open and Trados Synergy. Where do I start?

Follow the Synergy project creation wizard.

I recalled something about importing a tmx to make a tmw so I created a new tmw, imported the tmx into it and now have a tmw open on Translator's workbench. Correct?

Yes.

So how do I open the source files in Trados? How do I use the glossary / Multiterm?

You must declare it in Workbench or in the Synergy project.
First, you must to import it in MT (Termbase > Load external termbase).

What does the note about Windows code pages mean? How do I end up with cleaned html and dirty ttx files?

When the job is finished, run the cleanup, so the (lean) html target files will be generated from the ttx bilingual (dirtyy) files.

I think the tmw will be updated as I go along - do I have to export back to a tmx to deliver?

Export to a new tmx file.

I'm sorry, this is probably all really basic stuff but I'm stumped. Any help very much appreciated.

In fact, a lot of your question seem rather basic and I suppose it may be better to switch to SDLX if you know better this environment.

Cheers
GG

JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks lots Jan 2, 2009

Thanks lots for replies. I'll get stuck in!

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact your client Jan 2, 2009

Hi Jo,
Looking at the instructions given, your client assumes that you're familiar with handling translation memories, MultiTerm termbases, and HTML files. Looking at your questions, that doesn't appear to be the case (at least not to the extent assumed by your client).

What I would suggest is to ask the same questions to your client.

Best regards,
Ralf

JLLTranslation
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fair point Jan 2, 2009

Yes, absolutely fair point Ralf. I fully intend to take the advice I am very kindly being given and clarify that I am doing the correct things with my client. I would just rather go to them and say "I intend to do X, Y and Z, is this OK?" rather than "what do I do?" i.e. go with a suggested solution and not just a problem.

Thanks for your help.
Jo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Got a Trados project - where do I start?!!!

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search