Compatibility SDL Trados 2007 + quark express - Urgent!
Thread poster: Eloïse Notet

Eloïse Notet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:30
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
Jan 8, 2009

Hello,

I am working with SDL Trados 2007 and have been asked for a job in Quark express. The files have been created with Quark Express 7.31. I tried to convert directly the closed file into a tag Editor format, but I obtain one file with wrong characters and the other file is not converted (error 80003 from trados). I think the project contains more than those two files, and i really want to use trados to make the job easier.
I am not sure I do the right thing to convert the file..and not sure at all that those twor versions are compatible.

I have to answer my client tomorrow morning to tell him if I can do the job or not... so, if you can help, do not hesitate to answer asap!!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Eloïse

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
CopyFlow... Jan 8, 2009

Hello Eloïse,

QuarkXPress 7.x is only supported through the third-party application, CopyFlow. You must use CopyFlow to translate your QuarkXPress 7.x files and then export the translated files back from CopyFlow to use with SDL Trados.

You can purchase CopyFlow Gold from here:

http://www.napsys.com/copyflowgold7sdltrados.html

You can get more information on CopyFlow Gold For QuarkXPress 7 via http://napsys.com/cfg7info.html.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not sure Jan 8, 2009

I've tried copy flow myself and can't say I was satisfied with the results, especially if the source file is complex. I think QuarkXpress files are generally not very suitable for translation, unless your client wants just plain text.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:30
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Quark express is a DTP tool Jan 8, 2009

Normally translators do not translate in Quark express, Photoshop, Indesign, Illustrator, Pagemaker... you name it. If your client wants you to translate his Quark express material, he himself should export it to some CAT tool (say, Trados TagEditor) and himself import the translation back there.

It is highly unreasonable to expect translators to do the translation in programmes, which 1st- cost a fortune, 2nd- take months to learn them.

And no translator can be expected to create any translatable file from any DTP source file- this is Agency job and problem.

In short- if you do not receive the job in translatable format- you shouldn't accept it (exception may be scanned handwritten files- but then you can print them out and translate from paper copy- at least this doesn't oblige to you purchase and learn sophisticated software).

Uldis

Added:

To SDL Support:

Thank you for your info, it may come useful to somebody, however in this particular case it doesn't seem right to me that the translator should purchase any additional software to do the job. As I wrote above, it's the outsourcer's problem.

U.

Enotet wrote:
Hello,
I am working with SDL Trados 2007 and have been asked for a job in Quark express.
Eloïse

[Rediģēts plkst. 2009-01-08 23:48 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:30
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
FAQ question Jan 9, 2009

You can check link here:
www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/59462-quarkxpress_7_and_trados_2006_fl-.html

In brief, a special plug in of QuarkExpress is read and translated by Trados TaxEditor. No need to purchase an extra and expensive software.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compatibility SDL Trados 2007 + quark express - Urgent!

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search