Trados Wordfast
Thread poster: Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll
Ana Kroll  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 14, 2009

Dear all,

I have a question and maybe I will find the answer here...smile...

I work with Wordfast and my PM workes with Trados. We have a new project and we are not sure what we can do with the Translation Memory.

My format is TXML and she has a potential Translation Memory for me in TMX format.
It's possible to convert the files or find some consensus for us? I heard the files from Wordfast and Trados are compatible...

Thank you in advan
... See more
Dear all,

I have a question and maybe I will find the answer here...smile...

I work with Wordfast and my PM workes with Trados. We have a new project and we are not sure what we can do with the Translation Memory.

My format is TXML and she has a potential Translation Memory for me in TMX format.
It's possible to convert the files or find some consensus for us? I heard the files from Wordfast and Trados are compatible...

Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
With best wishes!
Ann
Collapse

Christina Bergmann
Christina Bergmann
Germany
Local time: 11:38
English to German
+ ...
Internet sources for information Jan 14, 2009

There's already been a discussion about that
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/33473-wordfast_vs_trados-.html

but that was from 2005.

Here is a very interestin
... See more
There's already been a discussion about that
http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/33473-wordfast_vs_trados-.html

but that was from 2005.

Here is a very interesting article:
http://www.translationdirectory.com/article1095.htm

just scroll down and have fun reading.
Collapse

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:38
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Export/import to tmx Jan 14, 2009

As simple as that.

Ana Kroll
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export/Import Jan 14, 2009

That means I can import her TMX file, work on it, and after translation export to the TMX again?

Thanks
Ann

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:38
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Yes Jan 14, 2009

tmx is the translation memory format.

Ana Kroll
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 14, 2009

Dear Spiros,

Thank you very much!

...smile...

Ana Kroll
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sources Jan 14, 2009

Qualitylanguage, thank you for the article!

with best wishes,
A

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:38
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
The title of this thread should be Trados <> WFP Jan 14, 2009

Hi Ann,

TXML is the current working format for Wordfast Pro. The Microsoft Word-based Wordfast version is now called Wordfast Classic.

WFP converts all possible document formats to TXML during translation and afterwards converts the TXML files back to their original format: DOC, PPT, etc.

Receiving a Trados TM as a TMX file is great for users of both WFC and WFP. Just open them and use them. But remember TMX is the format of the translation memory, not of t
... See more
Hi Ann,

TXML is the current working format for Wordfast Pro. The Microsoft Word-based Wordfast version is now called Wordfast Classic.

WFP converts all possible document formats to TXML during translation and afterwards converts the TXML files back to their original format: DOC, PPT, etc.

Receiving a Trados TM as a TMX file is great for users of both WFC and WFP. Just open them and use them. But remember TMX is the format of the translation memory, not of the files you're translating. I've never tried, but I'm sure WFP can export a new TMX translation memory your client can use in Trados.

Now about TMX (Translation Memory eXchange). This format was invented in the past century to make the contents of translation memories easily interchangeable between CAT-tools like Wordfast and Trados, but this never happened. WFC doesn't record make-up information about a segment: words in bold, italics or special formatting aren't recorded as such. WFC will just reapply the source formatting to the match found in the translation memory. I personally think that was a sound decision and I hope (haven't tried) WFP will act accordingly. WFC TMX doesn't contain formatting information, and the same might be true for WFP TMX, but Trados TMX does.

Just use Wordfast for your Trados jobs, and tell your clients. Most of the time your clients will have no problems at all with the files you send them. I've had zero complaints.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Ana Kroll
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
more than answer Jan 15, 2009

Hi Gerard,

Thank you very much !!!
It's more than answer for my question...smile...

With best wishes!
Ann

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »