Thread poster: Thomas Zeisler

Thomas Zeisler  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:41
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2009

Hi everybody,
I have a large glossary in txt format that I believe has been exported with an earlier version of Multiterm.
Now I'm trying to import it into my Multiterm 7.5, but I can't make it.
The format is as follows:

GM Dico
10-inch rim
road wheel - Laufrad
10-Zoll-Felge
10 Zoll breite Felge
GM Dico
10-inch wide rim
road wheel - Laufrad
10 Zoll breite Felge
10-Zoll-Felge
GM Dico
10-way adjustable
word combinations - in Wortverbindungen
zehnfach einstellbar
10-fach einstellbar
zehnfach verstellbar
10-fach verstellbar

As I understand from the translation article 49 this is the Multiterm import format.
I just can't convince Multiterm to accept the file.
Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks, Thomas

Direct link Reply with quote

Ildiko Laskay  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Another format needed Jan 15, 2009

Hi Thomas,

The different versions of MultiTerm work with different import file formats.
MultiTerm 7.5 can only import .xml files.
MultiTerm 5 can only import .txt files.

One solution could be to create a MultiTerm 5 termbase, then convert it into an SDL MultiTerm termbase. (If you have MultiTerm 5 and MultiTerm Convert.)

Ildikó

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
more info Jan 15, 2009

I'm assuming that the Language denominators and other tags are present, only our beloved forum removed them because they are in angle brackets.
Please repost with normal brackets, perhaps someone can see if it matches Multiterm's expectations.

Also, if you seriously expect to get any useful help, please tell us what the actual situation is. How did you try to import it and what happened? Did you get any error messages? Do you have an itd file to go with this xml?

The import files are xml, perhaps all you need to do is change the extension from txt to xml to make the file show up in the import dialog's list. We won't know until you tell us what you're doing.

If it's a multiterm 5 termbase converted with multiterm convert, there are known issues there. Apart from some clever search & replace to convert it into a table and import from excel, I don't know what could be done with those.

Italy
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Help needed - Import txt glossary into Multiterm Jan 15, 2009

Thanks for your comments, as you presumed the tags went lost...

(Entry Number)5
(Origin)GM Dico
(English)10-inch rim
(Context)road wheel - Laufrad
(German1)10-Zoll-Felge
(German2)10 Zoll breite Felge

I don't have a itd-file and I don't have the MultiTerm 5.0 installed.
I have tried various different importing settings so I can't exactly describe what I have done. The result is basically always that Multiterm doesn't recognise the tags and therefore can't import the terms.

I have tried to take a couple of terms and do the "intelligent search and replace" to create a tab delimited file. This seems to work, although I'm having performance problems during the replacing in the work document. Does Multiterm have a max number of possible entries?

I have set the tags in the first line as follows:
Entry Number - Origin - English - Context - German - German - German - German - German

The result in MultiTerm is the following:

Could somebody please explain, why the English on the right hand side is below the German? In the language field on top I've selected German -> English. Shouldn't English appear first?

Thanks, Thomas

Italy
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
changing name to xml Jan 15, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:
The import files are xml, perhaps all you need to do is change the extension from txt to xml to make the file show up in the import dialog's list. We won't know until you tell us what you're doing.

I've tried that as well, the file shows up, but the various tags aren't recognised.

Thanks, Thomas

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Let's try! Jan 15, 2009

1) Copy and paste your txt file into a Word file

(Entry Number)5
(Origin)GM Dico
(English)10-inch rim
(Context)road wheel - Laufrad
(German1)10-Zoll-Felge
(German2)10 Zoll breite Felge

Replace each one of the paragraphs markers and the file name after it by a tab marker

Example given:

(Entry Number)5 ^p
(Origin)GM Dico

Replace ^p(Origin)
by ^t

You'll get
(Entry Number)5^tGM Dico

After replacing all the files, you should get a file with the following formating:

5 GM Dico 10-inch rim road wheel - Laufrad 10-Zoll-Felge 10 Zoll breite Felge

Use the field names for naming the columns

Entry Origin English Context German1 German2
Number

5 GM Dico 10-inch rim road wheel-Laufrad 10-Zoll-Felge 10 Zoll breite Felge
6 GM Dico 10-inch wide rim road wheel-Laufrad 10 Zoll breite Felge 10-Zoll-Felge

Now, I'm not sure if you should copy that in an excel file, for using the conversion tool or first you should copy it first in a txt file and them converting it to Excel.

Further, perhaphs the field "entry number" is not necessary.

Kind regards

Clarisa

[Edited at 2009-01-15 17:05 GMT]

Italy
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First step done Jan 15, 2009

Thanks Clarisa,
I've tried that with 10 terms, it works as you described. The only strange thing is that it turns the English and German around as I've described above.
I've tried the replacing with the complete file, but Word crashes (the glossary has 125.000 terms).
I'll try splitting the file in groups of 30.000, maybe Word will make it.

Have a nice evening, Thomas

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:41
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Don't worry about the languages Jan 15, 2009

You'll only have to click on the arrow!
I believe the problem here will be the size of the termbase! The FIND & REPLACE option will take such a long time, and it might crash the system

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
misc Jan 15, 2009

Thomas Zeisler wrote:

Thanks Clarisa,
I've tried that with 10 terms, it works as you described. The only strange thing is that it turns the English and German around as I've described above.
I've tried the replacing with the complete file, but Word crashes (the glossary has 125.000 terms).
I'll try splitting the file in groups of 30.000, maybe Word will make it.

Have a nice evening, Thomas

OK then, the trouble was that it is a MT5 export and not MT7. Anyone know if there is a converter for that?

Anyway, search and replace should work fine. Word does start to have trouble at 100.000 replacements... but it usually does the job, even if it seems to freeze. Close applications that use a lot of memory, start the S&R and give it a minute or 2. Word may become unresponsive but that's ok. Quite often I've had to open another application window over the word window and then minimize it. Then the "Search and replace completed, xxxx replaced" dialog box appears - when Word is on top, it fails to pop up. Really strange, but as long as it works in the end I don't mind.
Save a backup every now and again, Word may crash and then you may lose your file.

BTW you could have a look at an xml generated by Multiterm Convert and see how it differs from your txt. If you can generate the xml import format straight from what you have, that would allow you to skip using Multiterm Convert. Of course it may a bit easier/safer to go for the spreadsheet conversion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed - Import txt glossary into Multiterm

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search