Can anything at all be done with .ttx files?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:14
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jan 17, 2009

I outsourced work to a number of colleagues in the past week, and now I am trying to co-ordinate the project files and ensure consistency. I wanted to therefore create a TM, and asked the various colleagues to send me the uncleaned files as well. I had meant either the uncleaned files from translating in Workbench or a Workbench .txt export. However, several of them have sent me .ttx files, and I cannot find anything to do with these files. They are TagEditor exports, aren't they? It does not ap... See more
I outsourced work to a number of colleagues in the past week, and now I am trying to co-ordinate the project files and ensure consistency. I wanted to therefore create a TM, and asked the various colleagues to send me the uncleaned files as well. I had meant either the uncleaned files from translating in Workbench or a Workbench .txt export. However, several of them have sent me .ttx files, and I cannot find anything to do with these files. They are TagEditor exports, aren't they? It does not appear to be possible to import a .ttx file into Workbench. Do I simply have to bin them and WinAlign the files? I cannot find a way to import them into TagEditor either. Do I understand correctly that TagEditor does not have an import facility of any kind?

Any help on this topic would be appreciated.

Astrid
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Confused Jan 17, 2009

You can go to the Workbench, select Tools followed by Translate. Select Update TM and press Add. Select your ttx file. Press Translate. Your ttx file will now be added to your memory and you are done. Is this what you wanted?

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information Jan 17, 2009

Hi Marijke,

Thanks a lot for the information. I have never been sent .ttx files by colleagues before, only .txt exports or uncleaned Workbench files. I have tried it now, and there, as you say, are all the TUs!

Have a nice weekend!

Astrid

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
ttx = TagEditor file Jan 17, 2009

There's no import/export process in TagEditor. TTX is the bilingual format created when you translate a file in TE. You can simply open the files you received in TE if you want to see what they look like.
So the translators who send you ttx files are just sending you the uncleaned files as you requested.
Marijke's procedure is OK, you can also use the "Clean" function in Workbench (with the same "Update TM" option), which will put your TUs into the TM while creating the target (=c
... See more
There's no import/export process in TagEditor. TTX is the bilingual format created when you translate a file in TE. You can simply open the files you received in TE if you want to see what they look like.
So the translators who send you ttx files are just sending you the uncleaned files as you requested.
Marijke's procedure is OK, you can also use the "Clean" function in Workbench (with the same "Update TM" option), which will put your TUs into the TM while creating the target (=cleaned) file at the same time.

TagEditor used to be meant for files in other formats than Word - i.e. DTP files, html, etc. But now you can also process Word files in TE. It is sometimes very useful when the Word files have a complicated layout that you may easily mess with (notes, references, index entries, etc.) when translating as usual in Word. That may be why you got ttx files back unexpectedly.

HTH
Marie-Céline
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for clarification Jan 17, 2009

Thanks Marie-Céline,

Yes, even though I made neat Word files to send out, the formatting was a bit complicated.

Thanks very much for the clarification on the matter.

Best regards,

Astrid

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Translator's point of view; and a question about TTXpress Jan 17, 2009

When I get a doc file from an agency and they vaguely say "Trados must be used and unclean files sent back" I take it they leave to me the decision whether TE or Workbench+Word should be used.

I do think that they have the right to say whether they want back TagEditor ttx or doc files (even though some of them rather unwisely want the latter in instances the former would be much more suitable with respect to the nature of the doc files to be processed).

Now I have learn
... See more
When I get a doc file from an agency and they vaguely say "Trados must be used and unclean files sent back" I take it they leave to me the decision whether TE or Workbench+Word should be used.

I do think that they have the right to say whether they want back TagEditor ttx or doc files (even though some of them rather unwisely want the latter in instances the former would be much more suitable with respect to the nature of the doc files to be processed).

Now I have learned about the TTXpress Word macro, which can transform between the two options, but I have no experience with it at all - can anyone give their opinion of it? I mean reliability - if a customer wants back an unclean segmented Word, can I create an untranslated segmented Word file, convert it to ttx using TTXpress, translate the ttx (using TE or any other software which can do it), convert back to segmented Word file using TTXptress, and be sure the outcome of the process will be OK? I would be grateful for info from people who have actually used TTXpress and can confirm that this workflow actually works, or if there are any problems to stumble on and how they can be avoided, etc.

Antonin
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Cleanup, not translate Jan 17, 2009

Marijke Singer wrote:

You can go to the Workbench, select Tools followed by Translate. Select Update TM and press Add. Select your ttx file. Press Translate. Your ttx file will now be added to your memory and you are done. Is this what you wanted?

Marijke, it is the Cleanup function that adds the contents of TTX files to the Workbench TM.

Alternatively, there is a free tool, Okapi Rainbow, that will create a TMX of one or several TTX files you feed to it. Then you can import the TMX into Workbench.
In addition, Okapi Rainbow has many other uses.

Regards,

Piotr

P.S. The TTX format of SDL Suite is slightly different in comparison for example with SDL Trados 2007 SP1. Long live format compatibility of the same tool!

[Edited at 2009-01-17 18:16 GMT]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Many roads lead to Rome Jan 17, 2009

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

Marijke, it is the Cleanup function that adds the contents of TTX files to the Workbench TM.

The method I described too, honestly, I've been using Trados for the past 10 years

You may not want to clean up just yet. It all depends on what you want to do with the file.

[Edited at 2009-01-17 19:06 GMT]

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
You're right Jan 17, 2009

Marijke Singer wrote:

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

The method I described too, honestly, I've been using Trados for the past 10 years

You may not want to clean up just yet. It all depends on what you want to do with the file.

Indeed, translate can update TM too, but this is far from straightforward logic, isn't it?

Piotr

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TTX Jan 18, 2009

Hi Astrid,
in fact, TTX files returned is the best thing that could happen to you to ensure consistency. I can only recommend using QA Distiller to do this job (www.qa-distiller.com). It can check multiple files at the same time for inconsistencies and other formal errors (such as missing or excessive spaces, decimal separators etc.). There is a 30-day free trial.

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for that interesting piece of information Jan 19, 2009

Thank you, Stanislav,

I will have a look at QA Distiller and play around with it, to see what it can do.

Astrid

[Edited at 2009-01-19 21:08 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can anything at all be done with .ttx files?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »