Veronica Svanström
Romania
Local time: 18:07
German to Romanian
+ ...
Jan 19, 2009

Hello everyone!

I have a small problem, apparently.

I am proofreading a ttx file with TagEditor and i have to make a correction in an untranslatable unit. It's just a number (nothing else before or after it): "10'000", which in romanian should be "10.000". So the only thing i have to do is to replace the apostrophe with a dot. Now, i know that i can not acces the unit. And the beneficiary's advice is this:

You cannot translate or open segments which include
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have a small problem, apparently.

I am proofreading a ttx file with TagEditor and i have to make a correction in an untranslatable unit. It's just a number (nothing else before or after it): "10'000", which in romanian should be "10.000". So the only thing i have to do is to replace the apostrophe with a dot. Now, i know that i can not acces the unit. And the beneficiary's advice is this:

You cannot translate or open segments which include only numbers in it. So to avoid such a problem with the apostrophe, as the source text contains them, you have to change the source segments because you cannot translate segments that include only the numbers. So the only possibility to change the numbers is to delete the apostrophe in the source segment but only in the case when the number is standing alone, without any text. In this case you just delete the apostrophe and add the dot (in the source segment!). In the source segment. Which one?

Looking forward to your ideas.
Thank you very much in advance!

Best regards,
Veronica
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 22:07
English to Thai
+ ...
Unprotect and change source texts. Jan 19, 2009

I always unprotect [in TagEditor menu: Tools>Option>Protection (unselect protection of source texts)], and change source texts. It is a simple method.
Soonthon L.

Hugh Matthews
Hugh Matthews  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 17:07
Danish to English
+ ...
Reply Dec 30, 2010

Hi

I have tried to unprotect source text in 2007 TagEditor, but to no avail.

I have a Danish source text "scanned" from a PDF in which all the special characters are wrong. Having translated half the text I need to make necessary changes on the fly as I don't have time to faff about (sic.) re-processing my text.

Best regards Happy New Year

Veronica Svanström
Veronica Svanström
Romania
Local time: 18:07
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Dec 30, 2010

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your help! This is such a old post, i really forgot about it! Sorry i did not reply earlier!

Happy New Year to all of you!

Best regards,
Veronica S.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nontranslatable units in TagEditor

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »