Cannot process PowertPoint files in SDL Trados 2007 Suite
Thread poster: Emma Colette
Emma Colette
Netherlands
Local time: 13:47
English to French
Jan 20, 2009

I have just upgraded to the SDL Trados 2007 Suite (build 863) from SDL Trados 2007 Professional (build 835) and can no longer process PowerPoint files. When I try analyzing the files in Workbench, the workbench crashes. When I try opening the files in TagEditor, the program crashes. I have tried reducing the size of the files. The original files were 4 000 KB. I have split up the files in parts of 600 Kb each. Still crashes. I have tried changing the name of the file to something real short and simple but to no avail. I am getting a bit frustrated. A couple of weeks ago, when I prepared similar files (this is an update) in the "old" version (build 835), I had NO problems. Thanks for your input.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Same problem Jan 20, 2009

Hi Emma,

I had the same problem this morning [SDL Trados Suite 2007, Build 863, MS Office 2003, Vista (German)]. It's the first time I use TE 8.0 in the Suite version. I had to ask my PM to import the file for me (TE stayed open and I'm working on it without any trouble so far, haven't tried to "Save target as..." yet, which isn't exactly an all-time workable solution, not to talk about the fact that the expensive software has to work perfectly.

I hope there's a quick fix, as I have something larger coming in and would hate to have to use SDL Trados 2006 or re-install the non-suite version.

Giuliana

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Problem caused by MS PowerPoint 2007 filter shipped with the Suite Jan 20, 2009

Hi Emma,

I have just found this article:

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=2361&n=6&s=1

SDL confirms that this issue arises from the MS PowerPoint 2007 filter that ships with SDL Trados 2007 Suite. A supported cumulative hotfix is now available from SDL. You can apply this fix to computers that are experiencing this specific problem.

Here the page including the hotfix.

http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=2360&n=5&s=1

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-01-20 21:31 GMT]

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
It doesn't work / going back to Build 835 Jan 20, 2009

me again,

(I'm adding all this as a sort of time saver for my next, just in case someone has to face the same problem

Apart from the fact that coming to the all users folder was quite complicated in Vista (after some tinkering with admin rights, no luck, no chance, I had to de-activate accounts in order to be able to view it - Vista can be a real pain), I still had that TagEditor problem. And yes, I did follow instructions, step-by-step.

No more time for tinkering: I have returned my license, uninstall all the Suite and installed the FL version, build 835. It works like a charme.

... no comment

Giuliana

Emma Colette
Netherlands
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for trying... Jan 21, 2009

Hi Giuliana,
Thanks for trying it out. I was just about to so I guess I won't waste any time with it.
Back to the old version for me too until a real fix comes along.

Angela Meissner  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks to Emma and Giuletta.... Jan 22, 2009

for describing the problem and the (only) solution - it saved me

And what does Trados think about a new product, that costs money, is supposed to solve old problems but creates new ones and then delivers a "hotfix" that does not fix the problem at all?

One working day gone for trying to open a Powerpoint file in TE Suite or to find a workaround - nobody will reimburse me for lost income...

That's really outrageous - and I would at least like to get my money back for Trados Suite, since I obviously can't use it!

Emma Colette
Netherlands
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Good news ! Hotfix available Feb 2, 2009

Hi all,
Good news... there is a hotfix available for this issue: http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/index.aspx?tab=browse&r=0.113719

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cannot process PowertPoint files in SDL Trados 2007 Suite

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search