Thread poster: Dorothy Schaps

Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:02
Member (2010)
German to English
Jan 22, 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new user of the TagEditor and although the translation method itself poses no problem the final stages of the process do!

I have just saved my file by using "Save Target As..." so that I have just the English version - this is what the customer requested and he even sent step-by-step instructions on how to do it, so that part is fine.

Now as far I'm concerned, I'm now finished with that document and I want to close it and open a new one. When I click close within the .inx document TE asks me if I want to save changes... I'm so confused - surely by using "Save Target As..." I have already saved the changes...?! =/ How exactly will my document look if I choose Yes and how will it look if I choose No? What are the consequences...?!

Additionally the customer has asked that all the files that are then generated (iix; mdf; mtf; nwf; tmw) should be sent to him with the updated TM along with the translations once the project is finished. I am aware of these files - I know that either TE or the TM creates them and they must all remain together otherwise something won't work - but should there then be a iix; mdf; mtf; nwf and tmw file for each .inx document...?! =/ We can't find these documents! Are they generated at the end of the project, maybe when the TM is cleaned up? And will my saving/not saving of completed (saved as target) .inx files affect this at all?

I hope what I mean is clear and I would be really grateful for any help!
Thank you very much!

Dot .

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Explanations Jan 22, 2009

Hi Dorothy,
first and foremost, the rule of thumb says: "When promted, always save, unless you are absolutely sure you don't want to save your work."

As for "Saving as target...": yes, you can use this command but note that in this case your translation memory will NOT be updated. It will only update if you select "Tools > Clean Up" from Translator's Workbench.

The TMW file is the main file of your translation memory which can be updated while cleaning up your documents in batch mode (simply add multiple documents in the "Clean Up" dialog window). Anyway, please note that each Trados translation memory consists of five files (tmw, mdf, iix, mtf, and mwf). Simply sending just the TMW file will be no good, since your client won't be able to open it. You have to send all five files (the other containing indexing information etc.).

Hope it helps.

Traduloc
Spain
English to Spanish
Tag Editor Jan 22, 2009

Hi Dorothy,
the five files (iix; mdf; mtf; nwf; tmw) are part of the TM and should go together. There won't be any new files created when translating new files.

I also believe that Tag Editor is asking you to save the bilingual file. That should save a ttx file.

I hope this helps a bit.
Regards,

Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 22, 2009

Thank you guys! That is SO helpful! It was all so simple really! =)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving changes in TagEditor...?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search