https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/125929-how_can_i_keep_the_word_text_file_as_background.html

how can I keep the Word text file as background?
Thread poster: Virginia Navascues
Virginia Navascues
Virginia Navascues  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:38
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 26, 2009

I'm not sure if I'm expressing this correctly. When I open a Word document (using Windows XP) and then open Workbench, sometimes the Word document is in the foreground and workbench in in the background and sometmes vice versa. It doesn't seem to matter in which order I open them, it seems to be sort of random. I want the Word document to be in the background and Workbench (and, of course, the concordance window) to be ON TOP of the Word document, so I can see them while also seeing the Word doc... See more
I'm not sure if I'm expressing this correctly. When I open a Word document (using Windows XP) and then open Workbench, sometimes the Word document is in the foreground and workbench in in the background and sometmes vice versa. It doesn't seem to matter in which order I open them, it seems to be sort of random. I want the Word document to be in the background and Workbench (and, of course, the concordance window) to be ON TOP of the Word document, so I can see them while also seeing the Word document. Otherwise, if the Word document gets into the foreground, it completely covers the concordance window, so I cannot see what it is offering me. I've tried to find help in Windows but don't know the magic phrase which will lead me to the right question. If anyone knows the answer, I'd really appreciate it. thanks.Collapse

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny
Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Resize the windows Jan 26, 2009

You just have to modify the size of the windows you want to see on your screen. If the window is maximized, click the Restore Down button.

Move the mouse over one of the borders of the window until the mouse pointer changes into a two-headed arrow.

The directions of the arrowheads show you the directions in which you can resize the window.

Hope this helps

Virginia Navascues
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
partial solution Jan 26, 2009

Thanks Herminia:

Yes, it's a partial solution, but it doesn't explain why Windows decides to put one window in front and the other one behind. If the windows have to be made too small, it's hard to read (especially Trados, very small fonts). I like to have the concordance window down lower, but if I put it so it is next to the text, then the text window overlaps it so I practically cannot use it simultaneously. What I cannot figure out is WHY this happens, since it does not always h
... See more
Thanks Herminia:

Yes, it's a partial solution, but it doesn't explain why Windows decides to put one window in front and the other one behind. If the windows have to be made too small, it's hard to read (especially Trados, very small fonts). I like to have the concordance window down lower, but if I put it so it is next to the text, then the text window overlaps it so I practically cannot use it simultaneously. What I cannot figure out is WHY this happens, since it does not always happen. Personally, I find Trados, though very useful, not an ideal solution for the kind of text I translate, it's much to literal-minded (and if I lower the setting percentage, it's totally useless). I'm going to try out a new CAT next month.

Anyhow, thanks for the idea, I'll use it!
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:38
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
play with the windows sizes Jan 26, 2009

If you have at least 19-inch screen it is enough. I set Word window at 2/3 of the screen height and place Workbench and Condordance windows above it (in the right and left corners). Besides, you can set Concordance to be always on top (press the pin icon on the title bar).

Another option (I am thinking about now) is buying one more monitor, maybe smaller, to run dictionaries, messengers and Concordance... Many video cards support multiple screens now.

[Редактирова
... See more
If you have at least 19-inch screen it is enough. I set Word window at 2/3 of the screen height and place Workbench and Condordance windows above it (in the right and left corners). Besides, you can set Concordance to be always on top (press the pin icon on the title bar).

Another option (I am thinking about now) is buying one more monitor, maybe smaller, to run dictionaries, messengers and Concordance... Many video cards support multiple screens now.

[Редактировалось 2009-01-26 11:16 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Pin on top (not sure about the problem) Jan 26, 2009

I honestly can't make sense of half of what's going on in this thread.
Anyway, here it goes:

If you want the trados workbench window to be on top of other windows, then, well... pin it on top. TWB window menu, View/Pin on top. I have no idea why you would want it on top of Word, covering important data instead of resizing the windows to the correct sizes, but if you do, pin away.

If you want the text to be larger (it really is tiny by default), try View/Zoom.
... See more
I honestly can't make sense of half of what's going on in this thread.
Anyway, here it goes:

If you want the trados workbench window to be on top of other windows, then, well... pin it on top. TWB window menu, View/Pin on top. I have no idea why you would want it on top of Word, covering important data instead of resizing the windows to the correct sizes, but if you do, pin away.

If you want the text to be larger (it really is tiny by default), try View/Zoom.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-26 17:01 GMT]
Collapse

Virginia Navascues
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
on top = in front of Jan 26, 2009

I suspected I wasn't being clear enough. I don't refer to being on top in the vertical plane, but being in front of as opposed to behind. I want Trados to be in front (not covering the windows text, maybe just the title of the document, which I don't need), and I definitely want the concordance window to be in front ot the windows text. The windows text moves over to the left if I put it in "normal view", and I want the concordance window to be on the right, but not to disappear behind the windo... See more
I suspected I wasn't being clear enough. I don't refer to being on top in the vertical plane, but being in front of as opposed to behind. I want Trados to be in front (not covering the windows text, maybe just the title of the document, which I don't need), and I definitely want the concordance window to be in front ot the windows text. The windows text moves over to the left if I put it in "normal view", and I want the concordance window to be on the right, but not to disappear behind the windows text as soon as I move the cursor onto said text.

The Trados "pin on top" button is already activated, but if I need to enlarge the Trados window (because the sentence is very long so I can't see all of it), then as soon as I touch the word document, the trados window jumps behind the text to be translated and is no longer visible.
Collapse

Virginia Navascues
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pin on top Jan 26, 2009

He, I just deactivated and reactivated the pin on top button and now-presto-it works! Thanks for the tip. We'll see about the rest....

David Earl
David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:38
German to English
<ALT>+<TAB> Jan 26, 2009

Hi Virginia,

For me, this is the point of Windows: to be able to run two (or more) applications at the same time. Microsoft expected this problem, and that is why they created the hot-key combination <Alt>+<Tab> for switching between applications. Simply press the <Alt> key, hold it down, then press and release the <Tab> key until the desired application (Workbench) appears. When it does, release the <Alt> key and look at what is being offered. Once you
... See more
Hi Virginia,

For me, this is the point of Windows: to be able to run two (or more) applications at the same time. Microsoft expected this problem, and that is why they created the hot-key combination <Alt>+<Tab> for switching between applications. Simply press the <Alt> key, hold it down, then press and release the <Tab> key until the desired application (Workbench) appears. When it does, release the <Alt> key and look at what is being offered. Once you've made your decision, use <Alt>+<Tab> to return to the Word application.

Another way around this issue is to connect a second monitor to the computer (some video cards offer built-in support for a second monitor), and position Workbench (and other reference tools, such Google, LEO, Wikipedia, etc.) on the second monitor. This solution only keeps those things visible. To type in them, one still needs to bring the application the front (give it the focus) by clicking on it with the mouse or using the <Alt>+<Tab> combination.

If the fonts are too small, you might want to look at using a lower resolution or you should be able to set them from the Desktop Properties, Appearance settings. Where to find those settings depends upon your version of Windows. You'll have to set the font for a variety of "Items", but...if that's what you want. (FWIW, I never use a resolution greater than 1024x768...the icons & fonts are simply too small for me and my glasses.)

Hope Those Help,
David.

Virginia Navascues wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm expressing this correctly. When I open a Word document (using Windows XP) and then open Workbench, sometimes the Word document is in the foreground and workbench in in the background and sometmes vice versa. It doesn't seem to matter in which order I open them, it seems to be sort of random. I want the Word document to be in the background and Workbench (and, of course, the concordance window) to be ON TOP of the Word document, so I can see them while also seeing the Word document. Otherwise, if the Word document gets into the foreground, it completely covers the concordance window, so I cannot see what it is offering me. I've tried to find help in Windows but don't know the magic phrase which will lead me to the right question. If anyone knows the answer, I'd really appreciate it. thanks.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 14:28 GMT]
Collapse

Chris Phillips
Chris Phillips  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Duel monitors Jan 26, 2009

Two screens are better than one but if you have a big enough screen I would just install GridVista. Google it for the many download pages

http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/pdf/GdVista_flyer.htm

/Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how can I keep the Word text file as background?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »