Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 21:30
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Jan 26, 2009

Here is my question: it is often the case that WinAlign connects one segment on the left (source) with two segments on the right (target). I usually try to remedy this by further splitting the source segment or joining the target segments, and then connecting the resulting segments manually, however, with very big files, this takes a long time. Now, should I be doing this at all, or are 1:2 and 2:1 connections OK, and how leaving then unchanged will affect the usefulness of the TM created theref... See more
Here is my question: it is often the case that WinAlign connects one segment on the left (source) with two segments on the right (target). I usually try to remedy this by further splitting the source segment or joining the target segments, and then connecting the resulting segments manually, however, with very big files, this takes a long time. Now, should I be doing this at all, or are 1:2 and 2:1 connections OK, and how leaving then unchanged will affect the usefulness of the TM created therefrom?

Your answers are appreciated.
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:30
English to Spanish
Same here Jan 26, 2009

I do the same; have the same question.

Dagmara Kuliś (X)
Dagmara Kuliś (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:30
English to Polish
+ ...
Should be ok to leave them Jan 26, 2009

As far as I know, if you have two segments linked to one (both ways) they will still be exported and imported into TM as one unit to one unit - so actually there is no need to split them or join manually in WinAlign, except for your own preference for how it looks when there are 1:2 or 2:1 connections.

[Edited at 2009-01-26 15:13 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
As long they are connected, they will be treated as one segment Jan 26, 2009

BTW, there is no source and target in Winaling, but just two texts in different languages. I know Winalign is using "source" and "target", but it is easier not to really focus on them.
And you can easilly adapt segmentation rules to avoid such connections, if they occur at specific places.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Realignment command Jan 26, 2009

In the context menu where you can find the option to split or merge segments, you also have two realignment commands. One is the standard option, wherein either the whole document or the rest of the document (from this point onward) is aligned in the default manner, and the other forces 1:1 connections.

I personally stay away from the 1:1 connections - I have tried this a few times and got disastrous results. I can imagine that it can be handy for certain document types and f
... See more
In the context menu where you can find the option to split or merge segments, you also have two realignment commands. One is the standard option, wherein either the whole document or the rest of the document (from this point onward) is aligned in the default manner, and the other forces 1:1 connections.

I personally stay away from the 1:1 connections - I have tried this a few times and got disastrous results. I can imagine that it can be handy for certain document types and formats, but these must be very few and far between. I do, however, use the standard realignment command pretty often, especially on longer documents.

When you execute the realignment command, it will skip all segments that you manually connected (the ones with the continuous lines, not the ones with the dotted lines). As you advance in the file, things slowly shift into place. The solution is not perfect, but it does speed up the process.

Having said that, WinAlign needs some serious updates. A shipload of settings are missing, such as bookmarking the spot where you stopped working on the file so you can take it up where you left off the next day (files of over 50 pages may take several days to process, especially when you have work to do at the same time). I find that, for the considerable time it has been around, this piece of software has not evolved by a millimeter, which is really a shame. It could otherwise become a major reason to buy Trados...

[Edited at 2009-01-26 18:45 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
better solution Jan 26, 2009

Dagmara and Jerzy have answered your question, but... I've said this in the forum a couple of times already, but here it goes again: I think winalign is a horrible piece of software and should only be used if you derive masochistical pleasure from it or you have little text to deal with and learning a different method is just not worth the hassle.

Here's an article I wrote about what I found to be the best software/workflow:
... See more
Dagmara and Jerzy have answered your question, but... I've said this in the forum a couple of times already, but here it goes again: I think winalign is a horrible piece of software and should only be used if you derive masochistical pleasure from it or you have little text to deal with and learning a different method is just not worth the hassle.

Here's an article I wrote about what I found to be the best software/workflow:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/2176/1/Aligning-texts-with-Hunalign

I also just checked plustools and it's not bad. Perhaps the most efficient overall solution would be use Hunalign and do the revision in plustools with the nifty key combinations.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I consider Winalign very easy to use Jan 26, 2009

And so - with just few minutes of learning - I was able to align some quite big projects.
I will not say your solution is not good, but just think Winalign is often misunderstood. It is a very simple software - and the trick for me is to use it simple. Not to generate big projects, cumulate a lot of files there and so on. No, quite the opposite - when I have big files, I split them, align then one by one, not in sets. And this works quite well.
But of course everyone shall use what h
... See more
And so - with just few minutes of learning - I was able to align some quite big projects.
I will not say your solution is not good, but just think Winalign is often misunderstood. It is a very simple software - and the trick for me is to use it simple. Not to generate big projects, cumulate a lot of files there and so on. No, quite the opposite - when I have big files, I split them, align then one by one, not in sets. And this works quite well.
But of course everyone shall use what he/she considers to be the best for him/her
Collapse

Dagmara Kuliś (X)
Dagmara Kuliś (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 19:30
English to Polish
+ ...
The same here Jan 26, 2009

I have had no problem to learn how to use WinAlign (well, I was taught to but still) and I have done a whole lot of aligning, including some really big documents with glossaries etc. And I completely agree with Jerzy - if you keep it simple, do not put too many files in a project at once and save the file quite often while aligning, it serves its function well.

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, but... Jan 26, 2009

Thank you for your time and effort, but... your answers seem to answer someone else's question, not mine.

My question is very specific and has nothing to do with the pluses and minuses of WinAlign in principle - my question is: is it OK to leave aligned pairs 1:2 or not and how will that affect translation practices. That is all.

Your answers are appreciated.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
The answer is at the beginning of the thread Jan 27, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As long as they are connected...

Jerzy already answered your question - others didn't because they either are wondering about the same thing or because they agree with Jerzy's answer (answering a question that has already been answered would be wasting forum real estate).

Others posted after Jerzy's initial post to give useful additional information. You may not need that information, but others may come across this thread and find the information helpful. This could reduce the number of threads over time, since people will find this thread through searching and will thus not post another thread asking sensibly the same question you asked. This benefits all site users - relevant information will be easier to find and there will be a smaller number of threads than otherwise, which will make searching much easier and faster for all.

P. S.: To elaborate a bit, 1:2 connections are OK, as Jerzy says, provided that the 2 correspond exactly to the 1. You can save time by not connecting these manually, but you still have to review them to make sure that the 1:2 connection really does constitue a healthy segment.

[Edited at 2009-01-27 19:26 GMT]

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thak you, all! Jan 28, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

thank you for your time and effort!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

1:2 Source-Target Connections in WinAlign

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »