Brigith Guimarães  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:50
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 29, 2009

Hello to all

I have SDL Trados and supposedely I would be able to open itd files with TagEditor, but the message I get is:

"SDLX 2005 SR or later must be installed to run this functionality"

though my client tells me that with SDL Trados the itd should open with no problem.

This is a large problem and I would appreciate any urgent help, please.

Direct link Reply with quote

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:50
English to French
+ ...
Normal Jan 29, 2009

You should use SDLX, another component of SDL Trados, to open ITD files. I would recommend you read the manuals you downloaded with the application so you get familiar with the basics of the different tools included in SDL Trados before performing any work. SDlX is one of these tools, TageEditor is a different one.

Best,
Annelise

Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank u Jan 29, 2009

Thank you, Annelise

I am still a bit naïve when it comes to SDL Trados. SO, u mean SDLX is included already and that I should be able to work with it.

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
there are several applications in the pack Jan 29, 2009

Hi Brigith,

Yes, there are several applications in the pack: with SDL Trados you can work in 3 translation interfaces: SDLX, TagEditor and even Word. Again, I think the best would be for you to read the manuals, at least the Getting started manual so you know quite quickly how to use these tools an optimal way (you can reach them by selecting the Windows Start menu, then SDL International).

Annelise

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Explanation Jan 29, 2009

Hi Brigith,
I believe there is some explanation to be made.
SDLX and Trados are two different CAT suites and former competitors. A few years ago, SDL International swallowed Trados and both of these two suites are now sold as one bulk. But this has only been so since SDL Trados 2006 (v. 7.5.x).
So, if you have an earlier (7.1, or 6 or earlier) version of Trados, SDLX is not included and neither is the support for ITD (SDLX) files.

If you have v. 7.5.x (SDL Trados 2006), then SDLX is included and you can install it from within your Trados installation package. If you can't open ITD files with TagEditor, I recommend that you:
1) install SDLX;
2) open your ITD files directly from within TagEditor; if you still can't, proceed with Step 3 and further;
3) convert the ITD files to TTX using the SDLX Convert command from within the SDLX control panel;
4) translate the TTX files with TagEditor;
5) convert ("harvest") the translated TTX files back into ITD using the SDLX Convert command from within the SDLX control panel.

BTW, if your client is smart enough to make problems due to your current inability to open his/her ITD files in TagEditor, why doesn't he/she convert the files for you?!
I suspect some PMs are absolutely CAT-incompetent (and maybe totally computer-illiterate) and require translators to do their job for them. I wonder what such a PM is paid for...

Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problems with itd files Jan 30, 2009

Dear Stanislav

At last an explanatory answer. Thank you!
But fortunately enough, I finally concluded yesterday that my problem was:
- I had SDL TRADOS 2007 FREELANCE
- and had to upgrade to SDL TRADOS 2007 SUITE FREELANCE, which includes Passolo and SDLX
- Had someone explained that to me before, I would have saved a few troubling hours.

As to some PMs, I asked the same question and, as you say, illiteracy is not translators field. On the other hand, my knowledge about CAT tools is by no means more than average, what leads me always to think that it is MY fault and nobody else's.

Summing up: all is at peace in my kingdom and itd files are running smoothly.

A lovely day for u
Brigith

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
I'm glad it's resolved Jan 30, 2009

Hi Birgith,
I'm glad all problems are resolved. Anyway, SDLX must have been included in your SDL Trados Freelance 2007 installation pack even before you upgraded to 2007 Suite.

As to your knowledge of and about CAT tools, I don't think you need to know more than average. The client pays you for your linguistic skills and if you can add some value in the form of good technical competences, it's your asset. But all the preparation tasks should be basically performed by the PM. At least it's the case with me and my clients.

Have a wonderful day!

Portugal
Member (2003)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All is well, thanks Jan 30, 2009

Thank you for coming again, Stanislav

I may have done something dummly silly when I installed the first time, who knows?

In any case, all is solved and what u mention is the normal procedure, anyway, when it comes to me and my PMs.

All the best and enjoy your day

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error when opening itd files in TagEditor

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search