Importing Dejavu.txt into Trados Workbench. Problem.
Thread poster: Sandra Gigović

Sandra Gigović
Serbia
Local time: 04:47
English to Serbian
+ ...
Jan 29, 2009

Hello Everybody,

First of all, I want to apologise if I am opening a topic that was already discussed but I didn't managed to find a solution for my problem.
I've exported .tmw format database from Dejavu into .txt format for Trados Workbench TM. That was successfull. The languages are English and Serbian.

Than I've tried to import it to Trados Workbench 7.0 Freelance and it seems like it's proccessing the file but at the end it says: "import finished successfully; 0 added, 0 updated, 216574 invalid"

Languages in TM that I'm importing in are set properly i.e. EN-US and Serbian and I've also tried exporting TM from WB and copied first line and even the whole definition into the begining of the .txt file but nothing worked.

Can anyone solve this?

Thank you in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 06:47
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TMX Jan 29, 2009

Hi Sandra,

In general there is no problem with export and import of txt files, but I prefer TMX files. Deja Vu X can export in TMX format, and Trados is capable of importing TMX files.

Selcuk

--------------------------------------------------

I have tested the text export-import method with a 20,000 segments TM. No problem! Consider checking Trados settings for file import.

[Edited at 2009-01-29 16:01 GMT]

Sandra Gigović
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
other solutions? Jan 30, 2009

Thanks Selcuk

but Dejavu takes forever exporting files and I already did it to .txt so I want to solve this problem for future references also.
Any other suggestions?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
TMX again Jan 30, 2009

Hi Sandra,
I can't but second Selcuk's post. Always use TMX to exchange translation memories between the different CAT tools.
TXT is fine as long as you export and import TMs from and into one and the same CAT tool. If you want to exchange your TMs between different CAT tools (e.g. DejaVu => Trados), always use TMX. The abbreviation stands for Translation Memory eXchange, which is pretty self-explanatory.

Sandra Gigović
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
same problem Jan 31, 2009

I've tried with TMX and WB reported the same//; "Import finished successfully. 212358 TUs read in 325 seconds: 0 updated, 0 added"
I'm becoming really desperate. Anyone has an idea why this is happening and what should I do?

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Trados settings Jan 31, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Consider checking Trados settings for file import.

This is not a problem related with Deja Vu. Please check your Trados settings, select the appropriate one:
Existing translation units:
- Leave unchanged
- Keep most recent
- Keep oldest
- Merge
- Overwrite

Sandra Gigović
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
settings Feb 1, 2009

I've tried with all of those settings, but nothing has changed. It reports the same thing whatever settings I choose.

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Problem solved Feb 2, 2009

Hi Sandra,

The problems with your TMX file are:

1. There are about 25 segments with empty source or target (but this does not cause a problem for importing into Trados)
2. There are approx. 80,000 repetitions (out of 212,330 segments), and therefore Trados imported only 129,565 pairs.
3. The real problem was the language codes
In Deja Vu exported TMX file Serbian Latin was identified with lang="sr"
In order to import it to Trados I have replaced all occurrences of "sr" with "SH-SR" using UltraEdit.

Selcuk

[Edited at 2009-02-02 00:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing Dejavu.txt into Trados Workbench. Problem.

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search