Pascale Pluton  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:05
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Jan 29, 2009

Hello everybody

With Translators workbench 8.2, I translated .MIF files (from Framemaker 7.2) the usual way.
Converting MIF, translating, converting back. No error messages.

Bust something goes wrong at some stage because when the translation is put back in Framemaker, the whole style of the whole document (94 files) is completely gone.

For instance:
- paragraphe numberings are gone
- cross references are gone.

This is a recurring problem and it only happens with me so it should be linked to some settings in my version of Trados, but I would just not know which one,

Any idea is welcome. My fealing is that is that problem is not solved, I may just loose this cllient, and that is a big one.

Thanks in advance for your collaboration

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Checked the settings in Framemaker? Jan 29, 2009

Are the files set up properly?
Who has created the MIFs?
Did you use structured Framemaker or simple FM?

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I doubt Framemaker is the problem. Jan 30, 2009

Hello Jerzy,
thank you for your suggestions.

I do not own Framemaker. I only receive the .MIF file for translation. But the point is that this problem only happens with me. According to the client, translations delivered by other translators are just fine. For that reason I thought that it might be caused by some Trados parameters.

I keep on searching

Have a nice day

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do other translators also use Trados? Jan 30, 2009

Which version then?
Did the customer change the FM version recently?

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Any hotfixes installed? Jan 31, 2009

Pascale Pluton wrote:

With Translators workbench 8.2

Have you installed all possible hotfixes available for S-Tagger for FrameMaker? Check http://talisma.sdl.com

It's almost impossible to find a solution with such general description of the problem, but I would start with updating S-Tagger. There were some problems with this tool, especially with SP2 version.

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the problem is in the tags Feb 3, 2009

Thank you for your suggestion Wojciech, but it did not help.

I found out that the problem is in the TM. I somehow messed up with the tags and therefore Framemaker doesn't know what to do with it.

Some more details to follow.

Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solution = S-Tag verifier was not activated! Feb 6, 2009

I finally found wat the problem was.

It was silly, really. So obvious I did not even think about it.

The translator can check the integrity of tafs in the tag-editor with the option Tools/Verify (F8). I had done that but no error message was reported.

And the reason why is that for some strange reason, the S-tag verifier (Tools / Pug-ins / Verifiers / S-tag verifier) was not activated (the option was nopt ticked) while it should have been and while I was convinced it was.

As soon as it was activated I was able to track all the tags that where messed up with and repair them. I must say that in this respect, this tag system is not very user friendly.

So the lesson here is "do not take anything for granted, verify even the most obvious assumptions."

Have a nice day everybody and thank you again for helping.

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
I have to disagree Feb 7, 2009

Pascale Pluton wrote:

As soon as it was activated I was able to track all the tags that where messed up with and repair them. I must say that in this respect, this tag system is not very user friendly.

Disagree. This is the best tag system you will ever see in TagEditor for DTP formats. Unfortunately, you need some experience with FrameMaker to understand the way it works. But once you get it, you can "render" S-Tagged file in your head, without looking at the PDF file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados screws up Framemaker style after translation

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search