Is it possible to use Concordance to track a file?
Thread poster: Pauliina Kauppila

Pauliina Kauppila  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:31
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jan 30, 2009

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any way to find out which file contains a certain translation. As you know, Concordance shows the following information with each entry:

Created on:
Created by:
Changed on:
Changed by:

However, sometimes when working with a large batch of files, it would be very handy to be able to pinpoint in which file exactly a certain translation lurks. Is there any way of doing this within Trados?

I find that using the Windows search on folders isn't always reliable, particularly if the words contain formatting, hotkeys etc.

[Edited at 2009-01-30 17:36 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:31
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Google desktop Jan 30, 2009

Google desktop offers this option - and much more. It complements concordance search quite well.
Attila

Veroniki Velli  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 05:31
English to Greek
+ ...
No Jan 30, 2009

As far as I know, you can not track a file via Trados...
A possible way to do what you want is to use a special software, which searchs all the files, within selected folder/s.
It works exactly like the Find function in MS Word, but it does the research in many files and not just one.

I can not suggest any such software, but I am sure that it will not be so hard to find one.

Regards,
Veroniki

[Edited at 2009-01-30 15:15 GMT]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
second the Google desktop suggestion Jan 30, 2009

However, sometimes when working with a large batch of files, it would be very handy to be able to pinpoint in which file exactly a certain translation lurks....

... plus note that files are usually alive - i.e. they change with time, get killed ... What remains eventually, is a TM. And even TMs do change.

Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 30, 2009

Maybe I'll give Google Desktop a shot in the future. I know there are plenty of advanced search applications; I just wanted to find out if Trados offers some such feature.

In this case, I was working on 60 separate Help files and doing consistency checks. When checking on a particular term, it would be great if Concordance would also show in which file a particular (possibly inconsistent) translation was. Alas, I now know this is not a possibility.

Thanks for your replies and have a good weekend!

tinageta  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
. Jan 30, 2009

Pauliina Kauppila wrote:

In this case, I was working on 60 separate Help files and doing consistency checks. When checking on a particular term, it would be great if Concordance would also show in which file a particular (possibly inconsistent) translation was. Alas, I now know this is not a possibility.

Perhaps this can help in such a case?
http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:31
English to French
+ ...
Of course it is Jan 30, 2009

This is one of the advantages of using attribute fields in Trados.

Attribute fields allow you to add fields similar to the Created by, Changed by, etc., fields. You define the field and you also define the attributes (there can be as many fields and as many attributes per field as you want).

The fields and the attributes are displayed at the bottom of the Workbench window and underneath each result in the Concordance window.

I have been using attribute fields exactly for the purpose you are enquiring about. It is easy and very useful. When I translate, I always know which client, job, subject matter and, yes, specific document the translation unit belongs to.

Please, look up attribute fields in your Trados documentation. Learn to use them well - they will come in handy for a bunch of other uses as well.

[Edited at 2009-01-30 20:34 GMT]

xxxOlaf
English to German
It's easy to search .ttx files with a macro Feb 1, 2009

Pauliina,

Some time ago I wrote a macro that uses the TRADOStag API to search all .ttx files in a folder for either source or target segments that contain a certain string. It's very simple and slightly buggy and I only tested it with Trados 6.5.
If you want to play with it I can send it to you.

Olaf

[Edited at 2009-02-01 01:11 GMT]

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 05:31
English to Greek
+ ...
Copernic Desktop Feb 1, 2009

I also don't think it is possible to locate a file using Concordance, unless you have been using attributes. Besides Google Desktop search (which I tried once and found it too heavy for my otherwise brand new and strong system), I can recommend Copernic Desktop Search - a light-weight freeware, which is very practical and user-friendly. It has saved me several times already!

[Edited at 2009-02-01 09:54 GMT]

Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do you use attribute fields to pinpoint to a file? Feb 1, 2009

Hello Viktoria,

I had a look at the attribute fields and the Trados Help articles, as you suggested, but I could not figure out a way to use them to be able to see in which file a particular segment is located. Perhaps I am more technically challenged than I thought. Could you explain how exactly I can use these fields to achieve this? It would be much appreciated! Thanks, Pauliina

[quote]Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

This is one of the advantages of using attribute fields in Trados.

Attribute fields allow you to add fields similar to the Created by, Changed by, etc., fields. You define the field and you also define the attributes (there can be as many fields and as many attributes per field as you want).

I have been using attribute fields exactly for the purpose you are enquiring about. It is easy and very useful. When I translate, I always know which client, job, subject matter and, yes, specific document the translation unit belongs to.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
It looks difficult but it is simple, really Feb 1, 2009

Pauliina Kauppila wrote:

Could you explain how exactly I can use these fields to achieve this?

I understand that it seems complicated and mysterious - this was also my case when I started exploring the more advanced functions in Trados. In fact, I am thinking about writing a guide on this, as many people seem interested and most seem to have a hard time grasping the concept. You are not alone!

What you need to do is go to File > Setup in Workbench. In the window that opens, you need to select the second tab, which is Fields. Now, you really need to concentrate, because this part is tricky - the interface is not ideal, so it is easy to make a mistake - bear with me.

You see three boxes: Text fields, Attribute fields and Attribute values. We want to add an attribute field first, so click on an item in the Attribute fields box and then click the Add button above. Now, you can type the name of the attribute field, in the field above named Field. This is entirely up to you, but for the purpose of document tracking, the most straightforward choice would be Document (that is what I use, at least). Now, bring the mouse back to the Attribute fields box, and click on something other than the field you just created - this will save the field you just created. So, we now have a Document field. We're halfway there - we just need to add vales for the attribute, which will be the names of the different documents you want to track.

First, make sure you select the newly created field in the Attribute fields box, since that is the attribute you want to create values for. Now, move the mouse to the Attribute values box, click on something and, just like you did previously, click the Add button above. Now, you can type the name of a document. To save the value, click on another value in the Attribute values box. To add another document name, or value, click the Add button like you did before, and so on and so forth. Just make sure you always click on a different value after adding a value, to make sure it is saved and will not be overwritten.

When you are finished, you should have a Document field in the Attribute fields box, and when you click on it, several document names should appear in the Attribute values box to the right. If you are happy with this, click OK at the bottom of the window. You are done setting things up.

Just in case, here is what my Setup window looks like (as you can see, I use a few more attributes):

Now, to use the attribute and its values, go to Settings > Project and Filter Settings in Workbench. In the dialog box that opens, in the Attribute fields box, select Document. Then, in the Attribute values box, select the document you are about to work on. Then, click the Filter Settings tab at the top, and click the Apply Current Project Settings button. You just activated the document tracking that you set up.

From here on, all you need to do is translate/edit as usual. When you are done translating/editing and you want to start working on a different file, make sure you remember to change the filter settings to the name of the new document every time you switch to a new document. You simply need to repeat what you did in the above paragraph.

By default, whenever you reuse a translation unit that you already used in a different document, the name of the current document is added. So, if a particular translation unit was used in both document A and document B, then both document names will be associated with the translation unit and will be displayed in the attributes. As mentioned in my previous post, these attributes will appear in the same zones as the standard Created by, Changed by, etc., fields. This means you will see them in Workbench, just below the standard fields, but you will also see them in the concordance window, just below each translation unit.

Please, do ask for help here if you get stuck somewhere or if you have more questions.

All the best!

[Edited at 2009-02-02 20:58 GMT]

Canada
English to French
+ ...
Addendum Feb 1, 2009

I just wanted to add that, in case you are already working on a project composed of multiple files and would like to retroactively add the document attribute and its values to those translation units, you can do so very easily.

Load a translated document, then configure your filter settings as discussed in the previous post, open the first segment and click the Translate to fuzzy icon. All translation units will now inherit the specified attributes.

Attribute field data is stored the same way as the actual target segment text - when you close a segment, the attributes are automatically saved with the translation unit.

It may also be good to know that the attribute field data associated with a particular translation unit can be edited in the Maintenance window just like other elements of a translation unit.

Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Viktoria Feb 4, 2009

Sorry, I meant to reply earlier. Thank you very much for your thorough instructions! I will try this the next time.

Thank-you to everyone else who responded as well.

Kind regards, Pauliina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to use Concordance to track a file?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search