TagEditor Freezing Up (No Error Message)
Thread poster: Brandon Wood

Brandon Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:07
Japanese to English
+ ...
Feb 5, 2009

Hey all, I'm having a big issue here and it's stressing me out badly.

First off, let me give you an idea of my operating environment:

SDL Trados Version 8.0 Freelance (8.2.0.835, SP2)
Office 2007
Windows Vista

Okay, now on to the problem.

I am in the middle of a large translation for a manual. The manual has already been translated in the past and I am just translating the new additions/revisions. As such, I have a TM for the old translations so the majority of these massive files I'm working with are going to be done for me by Trados.

I'm using TagEditor to edit these files (mostly .doc files, but I'll get to that later) because they are huge (400+ pages in Word) and working with Trados inside Word is too slow with such a large document, plus there are text boxes and other complex things going on that TagEditor is better at handling.

Everything was going fine until I came across one file in my batch that would not open in TagEditor. When I try to open it, TagEditor just sits there at "Opening file..." and the progress bar does not move. I get no error message at all, but no progress is being made. If I ctrl+alt+delete and look at the task manager I can see that WINWORD.exe is running at about 50% CPU usage, and TagEditor is running at about 50% as well, with TagEditor chewing up memory like there's no tomorrow. If I let it run, TagEditor just continues to eat memory until it is using all 2 GB of my ram, and still no progress on opening the file. My computer is then useless and even if I close the task I've lost a lot of memory apparently due to a memory leak and I have to restart.

I e-mailed the agency I'm working for and told them about this to see if they could open it. They said they could not open it in TagEditor either and that I'd just have to do the translation inside Word using Trados instead. Since this is basically impossible, I continued to try various fixes such as saving the document in RTF format, saving back to DOC, etc. Nothing worked, so I installed my copy of Office 2007 (I was using Office XP because when I first was using Office 2007 Trados was unbearably slow with it until a later patch; I didn't have time to wait so I downgraded back to Office XP). I then converted the doc to the new docx format and tried again. Miraculously it opened this time, with seemingly no problems.

Now, the real problem is that I have one Excel file I also need to translate that ABSOLUTELY must be done in Trados. The reason why is that it is around 200,000 characters but only 6,000 need to be translated; I have to use Trados to translate the 100% matches for me as there are plenty of other 70%-99% matches I have to edit as well. Unfortunately, this Excel file will not open in TagEditor either, just like that one DOC file I had trouble with before. I tried the same technique as I did with the DOC file (saving it into the new XLSX format) but it still would not load. The same thing is happening as well, this time with EXCEL.exe taking up 50% CPU and TagEditor eating all my memory until the computer dies.

Again, I get no error messages at all so I have no idea what is causing the problem. Does anyone have any ideas? The deadline is approaching and I have a LOT more work to do. The agency is no help to me because they are basically ignoring everything that goes wrong with this project (and this is certainly not the only thing).

Oh, and before I forget. I've tried un-installing and re-installing Trados completely, and that did not solve the problem. I've never had this problem before and I've been using Trados for over 2 years now... I'm running out of options!

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 20:07
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
my two cents Feb 5, 2009

a) I dont think it is a question of a kinky TRADOS installation. If it works for N cases, it should work for the case N+1 and N+2 as well.

b) what makes the sources of N+1 (word) and N+2 (excel) different from the rest of the crowd? The one exhaustive way of finding out is (sigh) bisection: cut the file in two and see what happens to the two siblings.

c) it could well be (long shot) comments, foot notes, iow paraphernalia, hung onto the original material. Throw them out in the source and check what happens.

d) try OmegaT instead of TagEditor (I am serious).

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2009-02-05 19:41 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Make the Tageditor window not so wide Feb 5, 2009

It sounds cray, but it helps quite often: make the window of Tageditor just 2/3 of the width of your screen.
Also look at talisma.sdl.com for an update of Tageditor to build 836 - this also may help.

Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
copy/paste in Word Feb 6, 2009

Brandon Wood wrote:

Now, the real problem is that I have one Excel file I also need to translate that ABSOLUTELY must be done in Trados. The reason why is that it is around 200,000 characters but only 6,000 need to be translated; I have to use Trados to translate the 100% matches for me as there are plenty of other 70%-99% matches I have to edit as well. Unfortunately, this Excel file will not open in TagEditor either, just like that one DOC file I had trouble with before. I tried the same technique as I did with the DOC file (saving it into the new XLSX format) but it still would not load. The same thing is happening as well, this time with EXCEL.exe taking up 50% CPU and TagEditor eating all my memory until the computer dies.

I know this is only a possible workaround and no real solution, but would it be possible to copy/paste the text of the XLS file into a Word file, translate this Word file and copy/paste the translated (and cleaned) text into the XLS file?

I had the same sort of a problem with a PPT file, however, after waiting long enough the file did show up in TE. So maybe you should wait a little longer?

BManigk  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Make TagEditor window not so wide Feb 6, 2009

Hello Jerzy,

I was desperately trying to find out why my TagEditor is crashing with some files (TagEditor encounters a problem and needs to close ...) on my machine, withoput crashing with the some files on the machines of colleagues.

I tried your hint to make the TagEditor window less wider and it seams to work (I am a bit traumatized, thinking if TagEditor is not crashing today, it will tomorrow

Thank you very much !!!!!

I found other persons with the same problem on this forum and I will tell them your hint !!!!

Brigitte

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reasons may vary Feb 6, 2009

but I strongly suppose it has something to do with the resolution of the screen and the font system in your PC.
The bigger the resolution, the more probably TE will crash, it its window is exactly as wide as the screen allowes (tested this with two machines with quite high (over average) resolution).
Another thing are fonts. The more you have, the bigger the problem I think.
So all this has led me to make the window of TE only about 4/5 of the screen width and to switch off all font substitutions for Tageditor (Filter Settings - Display formatting ... - all options off).

Brandon Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Figured out the problem... Feb 9, 2009

The problem was, well, there actually was no problem. The Excel file I was working with was just so complex and so large that it actually took 30+ minutes of TagEditor working, with no progress bar movement, to load.

However, something was/is still wrong with the DOC file I was talking about and I still don't know why converting it to DOCX fixed the problem.

Anyway, thanks for the answers guys and sorry to bother you with a non-issue! For anybody else out there working with insanely complex Excel files... just let the thing go and eat all your memory! It will finish eventually if your computer can survive it, even if TagEditor shows no signs of life.

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Japanese to English
OpenOffice.org Feb 9, 2009

One thing I would try with the DOC file is opening it and saving it in OpenOffice.org. That sometimes solves niggling problems. You can download and install OpenOffice free and the whole process only takes a few minutes. I have it exclusively for sorting out this sort of glitch. (There's no guarantee it will sort out yours, but it wouldn't hurt to try.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor Freezing Up (No Error Message)

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search