Pavel Tsvetkov
Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 23:54
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Feb 5, 2009

The question says it all: when one goes to Alignment > File Pair Statistics from within WinAlign, a list comes up which could look like this for example:

Number of Source Segments: 24
Number of Target Segments: 24
Number of Aligned Units: 24
Number of Committed Units: 1
Number of High Quality Units: 1
Number of Medium Quality Units: 21
Number of Low Quality Units: 1
Number of Unconnected Source Segments: 0
Number of Unconnected Target
... See more
The question says it all: when one goes to Alignment > File Pair Statistics from within WinAlign, a list comes up which could look like this for example:

Number of Source Segments: 24
Number of Target Segments: 24
Number of Aligned Units: 24
Number of Committed Units: 1
Number of High Quality Units: 1
Number of Medium Quality Units: 21
Number of Low Quality Units: 1
Number of Unconnected Source Segments: 0
Number of Unconnected Target Segments: 0
Number of 1:2 and 2:1 Units: 0

So my question is: what does 'low quality' mean in this context - and while we are at it - how about 'medium quality'?

Thank you.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:54
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I think it refers to how well the segments are likely to match - technically Feb 6, 2009

I have just carried out a couple of tests. Yes, I am pretty sure now.

As you know, when you are aligning a file pair WinAlign initially decides for itself which segments probably match each other, and you then have to look through and check it, make any amendments necessary (such as joining or separating units) and then confirm the matching units.

You see dotted lines across from one segment to another. The dotted line is more prominent, by the dots being closer togethe
... See more
I have just carried out a couple of tests. Yes, I am pretty sure now.

As you know, when you are aligning a file pair WinAlign initially decides for itself which segments probably match each other, and you then have to look through and check it, make any amendments necessary (such as joining or separating units) and then confirm the matching units.

You see dotted lines across from one segment to another. The dotted line is more prominent, by the dots being closer together, if there is a high likelihood of those two segments matching. I believe that is what is being referred to as a high quality unit. A medium quality unit would be when the software is less certain about the match, so the dotted line across has the dots slightly further apart.

You also get some units where WinAlign is very uncertain about whether they match. It could be because the texts are of very different lengths in the two languages, for example. The dotted line across has very spaced-out dots. This would be a low quality unit.

Nothing to do with the quality of the translation in the units!

Astrid

P.S. If you generate the report on a project that has been finished, with all the units committed, it looks like this:

High Quality Units: 0
Medium Quality Units: 0
Low Quality Units: 0

Therefore, it almost definitely does mean the likelihood of the segments matching before they have been committed.

If you look at your report that you pasted here, you had committed 1 unit so far, out of a total of 24.
The number of low, medium and high quality units in your report adds up to 23, i.e. the number of remaining uncommitted ones.

[Edited at 2009-02-06 06:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-06 06:10 GMT]
Collapse

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Feb 6, 2009

P.S. If you generate the report on a project that has been finished, with all the units committed, it looks like this:

High Quality Units: 0
Medium Quality Units: 0
Low Quality Units: 0

[Edited at 2009-02-06 06:07 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-02-06 06:10 GMT]

Thank you for your answer. The report you are referring to was generated at the end of aligning so there are still low and medium quality units even after they have been reviewed.

"Committed" means that the unit has been connected manually.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Your report says that you have only committed 1 unit out of 24 Feb 6, 2009

Hi Pavel,

You may have finished aligning, or agreed with the alignment. However, the report says that, out of 24 units, you have only committed 1. You need to commit the other 23 before you get the list of zeros for low, medium and high quality units.

Have you tried the option "commit all units"? You can access it from the menu or by clicking the opposite mouse button.

Astrid

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Committed Feb 6, 2009

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

"Committed" means that the unit has been connected manually.

No. It means that you have confirmed the alignment of that unit to be correct. You can do this for auto-aligned units, too.

All units you connect manually are automatically assumed to be correct, you can control the "committed" status for all units via the right-click context menu and I highly recommend you to familiarize yourself with the varius commands in that menu - the on-line help and the manual are very helpful in this regard.

HTH,

Benjamin

Pavel Tsvetkov
Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
ОК Feb 6, 2009

Is committing units important? Does it affect the quality of the resulting TM in any way? From my experience even if units are not committed everything works just fine.

Thank you for your time.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Depends on what you set the threshold slider to Feb 9, 2009

If you set the threshold slider in the export to TM dialog to 100 (which is what I always do), you can only export committed segments. This way you can avoid getting badly matched auto-aligned segments in your resulting TM.

When I use WinAlign, I always check the files completely for correct alignment (and segmentation) and commit everything I've checked and/or corrected.

HTH,

Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a low quality unit in WinAlign?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »