SDLX: how to mark pre-translated segments?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:36
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 11, 2009

I routinely get pre-translated itd-files. These translated segments are marked blue. When I translate the rest and press Enter, the previously untranslated segments are also marked blue. So later I have no clue to which segments need proof-reading and which are not (the pre-translated were proofread of course).
I wonder if it is possible to mark the newly translated segments any other colour than blue.
If the original file is a Word-file, I can circumvent the problem somehow, but it
... See more
I routinely get pre-translated itd-files. These translated segments are marked blue. When I translate the rest and press Enter, the previously untranslated segments are also marked blue. So later I have no clue to which segments need proof-reading and which are not (the pre-translated were proofread of course).
I wonder if it is possible to mark the newly translated segments any other colour than blue.
If the original file is a Word-file, I can circumvent the problem somehow, but it is not comfortable.
The same problem applies to Trados TE, but in Trados I can export the less than 99% matches prior to translation, not in SDLX.

Any ideas?
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
You can lock them Feb 11, 2009

Hi Heinrich,

I didn't use SDLX for years but as far as I remember you can lock segments in SDLX (Ctrl+L).

Selcuk

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:36
English to German
+ ...
Lock them Feb 11, 2009

Hi Heinrich,

Selcuk is right, you can lock the segments. You don't even have to do this individually for each pre-translated segment but can lock them all in one step.

Select Edit > Lock > Lock Segments... (you will be asked to enter a password but you can just skip this step by not entering one), and in the Lock Segments dialog select Translated (or whatever type of segments you want to lock).

HTH

Kind regards,
Claudia

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lock them? Feb 11, 2009

How does locking the segments help me to see which are from the tm and which I have translated? Does locking change the marking colour?
When I preview the translation, I cannot choose a colour coding for locked segments. So the proofreader will read the whole text and I have to pay every time for the old stuff.
Regards
Heinrich

Claudia Digel
Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:36
English to German
+ ...
Text colour changes Feb 11, 2009

Hi Heinrich,

How does locking the segments help me to see which are from the tm and which I have translated? Does locking change the marking colour?

Yes, the text colour changes to grey. You can easily distinguish them from newly translated segments and AFAIK the spell checker won't check them either.

When I preview the translation, I cannot choose a colour coding for locked segments. So the proofreader will read the whole text and I have to pay every time for the old stuff.

Now, that's a different story. Locking, of course, only makes sense if you proofread the file in SDLX. You didn't mention in your original post that the files will be proofread in the original format. If this is the case you will need to find a different approach.

The only solution I can think of at the moment is to first create a TM from the pre-translated files that will contain all the pre-translated segments. You can then run this TM on the files so that the pre-translated segments will no longer be blue but gold. Then you will be able to choose a different colour for them in the preview. - Why are the pre-translated segments blue anyway? Do they get manually translated by someone else?

Kind regards,
Claudia

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice Feb 13, 2009

I now contacted the customer about this issue and the new project has the pre-translated segments marked in gold. So all is well. Don't know why they were blue up till now.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX: how to mark pre-translated segments?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »