Thread poster: Katalin Sandor
Katalin Sandor
Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:15
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 12, 2009

Currently I run Trados (2006 FL) on a PC (XP). Now I need to buy a notebook but I will continue to use the PC as well. I have been reading around and saw that a lot of people run into problems when they try to make their new computer work, so I thought I'd ask you in case someone has done this exercise recently and would be willing to share their experience:
What sort of hardware do you think I should go for (I mean, RAM, whatnot). Do I need Vista or should I insist on XP? Which Office v
... See more
Currently I run Trados (2006 FL) on a PC (XP). Now I need to buy a notebook but I will continue to use the PC as well. I have been reading around and saw that a lot of people run into problems when they try to make their new computer work, so I thought I'd ask you in case someone has done this exercise recently and would be willing to share their experience:
What sort of hardware do you think I should go for (I mean, RAM, whatnot). Do I need Vista or should I insist on XP? Which Office version? (I know this has been discussed several times but with compatibility issues arising and being solved all the time, I haven't been able to figure out what works with what). If I get Vista, do I need to upgrade Trados? If I do, would I have to run the upgraded version on my PC as well (probably yes)? Do you think I'll be able to?
I'd appreciate you input on any of these issues.
TIA

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-12 14:40 GMT]
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 07:15
English to Greek
+ ...
Depends on your budget Feb 12, 2009

Hello Katalin,

In my mind, the notebook you will buy depends on your budget. I would recommend, though, that you get a 17' notebook, because it will be a lot more comfortable to work on a larger screen. Also, most 17' models include a numeric keyboard, which is necessary if you use Trados shortcuts. After that, you should decide how much you want to spend and try to get the most of RAM (2.5-3 GB should be ideal) and the fastest processor possible. Also hard disc capacity is an impo
... See more
Hello Katalin,

In my mind, the notebook you will buy depends on your budget. I would recommend, though, that you get a 17' notebook, because it will be a lot more comfortable to work on a larger screen. Also, most 17' models include a numeric keyboard, which is necessary if you use Trados shortcuts. After that, you should decide how much you want to spend and try to get the most of RAM (2.5-3 GB should be ideal) and the fastest processor possible. Also hard disc capacity is an important parameter, so you should try the biggest possible.

As regards platform version, I have had bad experience with Vista, which made me downgrade to XP and I have been perfectly happy ever since. Things like my printer or adsl modem refused to work properly with Vista, despite having downloaded and installed the most recent drivers. Also, Vista made the whole system react very slowly. But I need to point out that I had a very early version of Vista (I bought my notebook in March 2007). I have heard of people who got their PC with later Vista versions and who are perfectly happy with it.

Concerning Trados, I think that you don't have to upgrade it to make it work with Vista. I used to have Trados 7 and it would work just fine with Vista. You should know, though, that Trados 7 doesn't work with Office 2007, so either use Trados 7 - Office 2003 or Trados 8 - Office 2007 (or 2003, too, they work together just fine). You can find out your Trados version by opening Workbench, Help, About, and you can see your version in the central frame.

About Trados licences, you can use your current licence on 2 (or 3, not sure) PCs without any problem. If, however, you come across problems, contact SDL by mail or on their instant chat line, and they will replace your licence with a valid one.

I wish you the best,
Eleni
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
WinXP, Office 2003 for Trados 2006 Feb 12, 2009

Hi Katalin,
I'm using Trados 2007 on a laptop with the following specs:
- CPU: Intel Centrino Duo (2x1.8 GHz)
- RAM: 2 GB
- Graphic card: Intel, shared up to 256 MB
- WinXP Home
Everything is running pretty well.

If you are using Trados 2006, there are several points to consider:
- you will need WinXP because Trados 2006 (v. 756) is NOT supported to run under Vista; so, if you get Vista, you will have to upgrade trados to T 2007 (v. 8.xx).... See more
Hi Katalin,
I'm using Trados 2007 on a laptop with the following specs:
- CPU: Intel Centrino Duo (2x1.8 GHz)
- RAM: 2 GB
- Graphic card: Intel, shared up to 256 MB
- WinXP Home
Everything is running pretty well.

If you are using Trados 2006, there are several points to consider:
- you will need WinXP because Trados 2006 (v. 756) is NOT supported to run under Vista; so, if you get Vista, you will have to upgrade trados to T 2007 (v. 8.xx).
- you will need Office 2003 because Trados 2006 is NOT supported to run with Word 2007
- if you are going to use WinXP, don't buy more than 3 GB RAM; WinXP can only handle up to 3 GB.

It is now a little harder to find a laptop delivered without an OS, but there still are some (for instance mine is a small MSI).
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:15
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Business notebook Feb 12, 2009

I got my 17" HP notebook three months ago. Its a business model, no glaring screen. 2 Gb RAM and Vista Business.
You should upgrade to the last version of Trados, I think.
Vista is better than XP.
I use external keyboard and Rollermouse with the notebook, its more ergonomic.

(There are non-documented short-cuts for Trados if you use a notebook without numerical keypad:
(Ctrl+Alt+N for Set/Close Next Open/Get -- instead of Alt+[Num+]
-- and Ctrl+Alt+Z
... See more
I got my 17" HP notebook three months ago. Its a business model, no glaring screen. 2 Gb RAM and Vista Business.
You should upgrade to the last version of Trados, I think.
Vista is better than XP.
I use external keyboard and Rollermouse with the notebook, its more ergonomic.

(There are non-documented short-cuts for Trados if you use a notebook without numerical keypad:
(Ctrl+Alt+N for Set/Close Next Open/Get -- instead of Alt+[Num+]
-- and Ctrl+Alt+Z for Translate to Fuzzy -- instead of Alt+[Num*])

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Nope. Feb 12, 2009

Not sure whether SDL 2006 is supposed to run under Vista or no, but I had no problems whatsoever running it under Vista, and I was using it very often. These days it can be complicated to get a notebook with XP, so that reason shouldn't stop you from buying Vista.
I would also go for 17" notebook, unless you have to move a lot, in that case 15" or maybe even 14" would be a better choice.

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 02:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
notebooks without OS Feb 12, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

It is now a little harder to find a laptop delivered without an OS, but there still are some (for instance mine is a small MSI).

Hi!

Does anyone know where I can buy laptops without OS? I also want to by a new laptop without Vista and so far it has been impossible!

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
MSI Feb 12, 2009

Elizabeth Ardans wrote:
Hi!
Does anyone know where I can buy laptops without OS? I also want to by a new laptop without Vista and so far it has been impossible!

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

I bought one from MSI just one year ago (www.msi.com.tw). But I am pretty confident there are other brands delivered w/o OS as well.

Katalin Sandor
Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all Feb 17, 2009

First of all, I'm sorry for not responding for so long, I had expected to have time to work on the notebook purchase (and spend time at the computer) but things happened... Also, I did not intend to post this topic twice, I may have refreshed the page and that could have cause the problem.
As to the subject matter itself: your comments have been very instructive. I think I will go for a large notebook, XP, no Trados upgrade, we'll see whether I manage.
Thank you all for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Buying notebook - hardware and software questions

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »