https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/127453-replace_a_term_within_the_tm_and_the_current_document.html

Replace a term within the TM and the current document
Thread poster: Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:42
Member (2010)
German to English
Feb 12, 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm working on an XML file in TagEditor Version 8.2. It's a very easy job - the TM is huge and about 80-90% of the file is 100% matches so most of the time I'm just clicking "Translate to fuzzy" and letting it run through.

However, I've just realised when running the spell check that one word, "Selbstklebfolie", has been entered into the TM as "Selbstklebfolie" and not as "self-adhesive foil"! I changed it in the first instance and then hit "translate to fu
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm working on an XML file in TagEditor Version 8.2. It's a very easy job - the TM is huge and about 80-90% of the file is 100% matches so most of the time I'm just clicking "Translate to fuzzy" and letting it run through.

However, I've just realised when running the spell check that one word, "Selbstklebfolie", has been entered into the TM as "Selbstklebfolie" and not as "self-adhesive foil"! I changed it in the first instance and then hit "translate to fuzzy" again but now I have to type "self-adhesive foil" everytime the program stops at "Selbstklebfolie" (I guess because I've now changed the TM) I swear this word ocurrs at least 1000 times - no exageration, it's an enormous file!

Is there any sort of "Find and Replace" command that I can excecute that will replace the word in just the target language? Of course I don't want the German version to end up with "self-adhesive foil"!

Although I've changed the TM and "self-adhesive foil" is now a 100% match (the only 100% match) for "Selbstklebfolie" it doesn't replace the word automatically and the Translators Workbench says "Different target in TM. Use "Get" to update document and "Set" to update TM". I'm not sure what this means and if it is at all useful....

If anyone has any ideas I would be extremely grateful!

Thank you! =)
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thoughts Feb 12, 2009

Hi!

If I get your problem right, you can do the following:

1. Of course there is "find and replace" in TagEditor. Just check the option "Search target only".

2. To avoid the "different target in TM": Just clean your ttx file with the option "update document" checked in TWB.

Hope this helps,
regards,
Erik

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No joy... Feb 12, 2009

Hi Erik,

Thanks for the hints but the replace function didn't work - it didn't find or replace anything!

If I clean the file and check update document will that put the correct English word in the final translated version?! Can I then clean up againand update the TM?

Sorry, I'm quite new to all this! Thanks for your help! =)

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Settings? Feb 12, 2009

Please describe all the settings made in the "find and replace" window. It really should work...

As for your second question: In your case, I'd really rather do this when you've updated your document. So, replace all instances of the word, then clean with "update TM". "Update document" would make sense if you had one segment re-occurring over and over. You could then correct it, close/save segment (so the TM is correct), then clean the document with "update document".

R
... See more
Please describe all the settings made in the "find and replace" window. It really should work...

As for your second question: In your case, I'd really rather do this when you've updated your document. So, replace all instances of the word, then clean with "update TM". "Update document" would make sense if you had one segment re-occurring over and over. You could then correct it, close/save segment (so the TM is correct), then clean the document with "update document".

Regards,
Erik
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:42
Japanese to English
Concordance search and delete Feb 12, 2009

I don't fully understand what's going on there, but you could try a concordance search with the term in question (Tools > Concordance, then enter the target term). Then simply delete the segments that you don't want (Right click them for a menu including delete). You should then be in Translate to Fuzzy heaven.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
You didn't mention... Feb 13, 2009

...that your document has been pretranslated (using the Translate command in Workbench). But it is pretranslated, isn't it? That's really the only logical reason why the wrong version should pop up again and again. This really goes to show the one big disadvantage of pre-translation, and it pretty much nullifies the advantage of slightly faster processing (as the segmentation is already done when you use pretranslation).

I actually wouldn't do that if I were you. If the TM is correc
... See more
...that your document has been pretranslated (using the Translate command in Workbench). But it is pretranslated, isn't it? That's really the only logical reason why the wrong version should pop up again and again. This really goes to show the one big disadvantage of pre-translation, and it pretty much nullifies the advantage of slightly faster processing (as the segmentation is already done when you use pretranslation).

I actually wouldn't do that if I were you. If the TM is correct now and you're sure of this, why don't you re-open the original, untranslated HTML file and re-translate that using the TM?

You should be able to get great leverage out of the TM and can possibly even use the "Translate to Next Fuzzy" command to get to the point where you left off in the TTX file.

All further occurrences will be taken out of the TM and you should have no trouble with this pesky Selbstklebefolie any more.

HTH,

Benjamin

P.S.: Do NOT clean up the file with the wrong translation into your TM - this will very likely overwrite the correct translations, as the wrong ones are further down in the file and will take precedence over anything previously translated.

[Edited at 2009-02-13 10:03 GMT]
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
P.P.S.: Feb 13, 2009

You need to turn off Document Protection in TagEditor's Settings dialog to be able to replace text.

HTH,

Benjamin

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Benjamin - you rock! Feb 13, 2009

Thank you SO much! That was exactly why the Find & Replace thing didn't work - the replace button was greyed out even!

Thanks also to Rod and Erik for their suggestions!
@Rod: I tried your idea with the Concordance search and delate but did not see any delete button... I probably have a check box ticked somewhere that doesn't give me this option!

@Erik: I actually did try cleaning up with "Update document" checked as it was exactly that - "one segment re-occurri
... See more
Thank you SO much! That was exactly why the Find & Replace thing didn't work - the replace button was greyed out even!

Thanks also to Rod and Erik for their suggestions!
@Rod: I tried your idea with the Concordance search and delate but did not see any delete button... I probably have a check box ticked somewhere that doesn't give me this option!

@Erik: I actually did try cleaning up with "Update document" checked as it was exactly that - "one segment re-occurring over and over" that had been inadverntantly entered in German. The clean-up decided to stop responding though after it got half way through! As usual!

OT@Benjamin: I don't suppose you offer Trados training would you....? I'm afraid to say that we are seriously lacking here in our knowledge of all thing Trados... =/

Once again thank you so very much! =)

PS. Sorry for my mis-spelling of "Selbstklebefolie" in the first post! =/ Ooops...
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Well... Feb 13, 2009

Dorothy Salter wrote:

Thank you SO much!

You're very welcome.

No, you need to right-click on one of the flags for that translation unit in the concordance window. This will open a context menu with the "delete" command in it.

OT@Benjamin: I don't suppose you offer Trados training would you....? I'm afraid to say that we are seriously lacking here in our knowledge of all thing Trados... =/

I've been thinking about it, but I wouldn't really know how to structure the training units - I mean, I've got all this knowledge & experience, and I guess I'm not too bad at explaining things, but how do I start relating all that to someone who doesn't know Trados at all or, worse, a group of participants with an uneven level of experience?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Replace a term within the TM and the current document

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »