Thread poster: L.G.F. (X)
L.G.F. (X)
L.G.F. (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 12, 2009

Good evening dear colleagues,

I am new member on ProZ, and I have a big question for you. I hope you all help me.
It so happens that one company has sent me some translation tests and the use of Trados 7 is obligatory. Do you think I can do the translation tests with my demo version? Will they realize I did them with Trados demo? How can I download or get Trados freely? I have just visited some websites and the price of the cat tool is sky high. Please help!!!

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:07
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The answer is very short- you can't Feb 12, 2009

But you may try to use Wordfast, which generally is mostly compatible (as is many other CAT tools) with Trados.

Please use ProZ.com Forum search to find out more- this has been discussed a zillion times. Mostly with these softs you cannot deliver unclean file, but you can deliver clean file + Trados memory either as TMX or TXT format.
... See more
But you may try to use Wordfast, which generally is mostly compatible (as is many other CAT tools) with Trados.

Please use ProZ.com Forum search to find out more- this has been discussed a zillion times. Mostly with these softs you cannot deliver unclean file, but you can deliver clean file + Trados memory either as TMX or TXT format. And I suggest looking at http://www.multilingual.com/irOrgDetail?id=4678 soft "Cafetran"- seems it us capable to produce results indistinguishable from Trados.

BR,

Uldis

LGF wrote:
How can I download or get Trados freely? I have just visited some websites and the price of the cat tool is sky high. Please help!!!
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 10:07
English to Czech
+ ...
You CAN Feb 13, 2009

Uldis wrote:
The answer is very short- you can't

I couldn't disagree more.

Of course you can, unless the test is longer than 100 translation units. Or you can go to www.translationzone.com, register, order, download and use the 30-days fully-featured demo of Trados 2007.
Be careful, you have to place an order to get access to the downloads. But if you don't pay, your trial period will - of course - expire.

And let me mention other ways too:
- you can work on Trados TTX files in the free version of MemoQ
- you can work on Trados TTX files in the free StarTransit Satellite (just find somebody to prepare the TTX for you)
- you can work on Trados TTX files in Across which is still free for freelancers
- and you can work on TTX files in Word, of course.

In fact, you can work on TTX even in the Notepad.

[Upraveno: 2009-02-13 08:47 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 demo

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »