Export entries from Multiterm and import them into Workbench
Thread poster: SonjaBerg
SonjaBerg
SonjaBerg
Local time: 03:53
English to German
Feb 14, 2009

Halo

does someone know how to export entries from Multiterm iX and reimport them into translator's wokbench ??

please don't ask why i need to do it

is it possible?

Sonja

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-14 21:17 GMT]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:53
English to French
+ ...
It is possible, with a bit of fiddling Feb 14, 2009

Do you mean creating a translation memory using a termbase? If that's what you mean, here is what I would do.

1. In MultiTerm, create an export file. When asked for an export definition, choose the tab-delimited option. This will create a file that you can open in Excel - for basic bilingual termbases, there is one column for the source terms and one for the target terms.

2. Select and cut (Ctrl + X) the target terms column, and then paste this into a blank Excel docume
... See more
Do you mean creating a translation memory using a termbase? If that's what you mean, here is what I would do.

1. In MultiTerm, create an export file. When asked for an export definition, choose the tab-delimited option. This will create a file that you can open in Excel - for basic bilingual termbases, there is one column for the source terms and one for the target terms.

2. Select and cut (Ctrl + X) the target terms column, and then paste this into a blank Excel document. Save both files and close them. Take care to indicate in the file names the language of the terms in the file.

3. Open WinAlign, run the align operation on the two files and then export the file pair. This will result in a TM.

4. Open the newly created TM in Workbench - and you are ready to go!

I expect for colleagues to post here with somewhat simpler solutions - I recall having seen freeware on the Web that can turn TMs into TDBs and vice versa. I just don't remember where I saw this, because I never was interested - whatever the use for THAT would be... I won't ask - promise!
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:53
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My suggestion Feb 14, 2009

I would open a blank file in Word. In the Multiterm tag, Select Termbase (and select the desired termbase).
Next, using the Multiterm toolbar in the Word file, click on Batch Print, Bilingual table.

A bilingual table will be copied in the Word file. Copy and cut the second row, paste it in a second blank Word file. Use Wingalign, and voila!

While, it's a little bit different to the process described by Viktoria, I believe the result is the same.

Have
... See more
I would open a blank file in Word. In the Multiterm tag, Select Termbase (and select the desired termbase).
Next, using the Multiterm toolbar in the Word file, click on Batch Print, Bilingual table.

A bilingual table will be copied in the Word file. Copy and cut the second row, paste it in a second blank Word file. Use Wingalign, and voila!

While, it's a little bit different to the process described by Viktoria, I believe the result is the same.

Have a nice day.

Clarisa Moraña
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export entries from Multiterm and import them into Workbench

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »