International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
MultiTerm Error: (-2147467261): (null)
Thread poster: Pavel Tsvetkov

Pavel Tsvetkov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:17
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

Feb 17, 2009

When trying to open a term base from Word 2003 I get an error message, looking like this:

Connection error

(-2147467261): (null)

Now, I know it must be Java, but after reading a ton of advice, and following the instruction as best I could, MultiTerm is still unusable. PLEASE, PROVIDE CLEAR STEP-BY-STEP INSTRUCTIONS IF YOU KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO.

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:17
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Locate and delete this file Feb 17, 2009

C:\Documents and settings\Your user name\Application data\Trados\MultiTerm\MultiTerm7dot.xml

This should help

BR
Jerzy

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
It did not help Feb 17, 2009

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, this did not help. I deleted the file and when I pressed the corresponding icon in Word, the error message appeared again and said file war recreated in said directory. Now, I do have MultiTerm and Workbench open at the same time, if that should give you any ideas.

If you have more tricks up your sleeve, please, don't be a stranger, all help is appreciated.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Delete this file again Feb 17, 2009

Rename your Normal.dot to something else.
Recreate both Trados and Multiterm templates, but place them NECESARILLY under Documents and settings. Should you find any of those templates in Microsoft Office installation folder, DELETE them.
Register Multiterm, using the "self register..." file you will find in Multiterm installation directory.

BTW, do you have any other add-ons in Word, such as Acrobat for example? If yes, then you will need to remove them - first of all Acrobat, as this is incompatible with MT-template.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Unfortunately, more questions arise Feb 17, 2009

Thank you, but...

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Rename your Normal.dot to something else.

Where can I find this file?

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Recreate both Trados and Multiterm templates, but place them NECESARILLY under Documents and settings. Should you find any of those templates in Microsoft Office installation folder, DELETE them.

Where can I find the templates, where exactly should I put them, where in the installation folder should I look?

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
Register Multiterm, using the "self register..." file you will find in Multiterm installation directory.

BTW, do you have any other add-ons in Word, such as Acrobat for example? If yes, then you will need to remove them - first of all Acrobat, as this is incompatible with MT-template.

I do have add-ons: Lingvo 12 and ABBYY Fine Reader - can any of those be the matter?

Thank you!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Abbyy may be the problem Feb 17, 2009

You can find your Normal.dot in: C:\Documents and settings\Your user name\Application data\Microsoft\Templates

Trados and Multiterm can be found in C:\Program files\SDL International...
Both must be copied to C:\Documents and settings\Your user name\Application data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
If you find any of them in C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Startup or anywhere else under \\Microsoft Office, delete them.

Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:17
Japanese to English
Display hidden folders Feb 17, 2009

However, I seem to remember that to find Normal.dot, you need to open a folder on your computer (any one will do), and select your language equivalent of Tools > Folder Options > View > Show all files and folders

Otherwise the relevant folder will be hidden. SDL also recommends doing a search for all Normal.dot files in case they've proliferated for some reason.

PeterGeng
English to Chinese
Try disconnect from MT Feb 18, 2009

I got same error code when translating from Tools>Translate.
Then after selecting "Don't" in "Translate Terms", the auto translation works again.
Seems like something wrong with my Multiterm.

Hope it could help, though it might not be your case.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Feb 18, 2009

Hello Pavel,

This error usually occurs when you have named your termbase including the signs “>” “ "Modify termbase definition"

Please rename your termbase to exclude the above signs.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Feb 19, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You can find your Normal.dot in: C:\Documents and settings\Your user name\Application data\Microsoft\Templates

Trados and Multiterm can be found in C:\Program files\SDL International...
Both must be copied to C:\Documents and settings\Your user name\Application data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
If you find any of them in C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Startup or anywhere else under \\Microsoft Office, delete them.

Dear Jerzy,

I followed your directions and it worked! Thank you very much!

Since you gave me those directions in 3 different posts and currently they are out of order, do you think you can put them in one post with the proper sequence and locations, and with the proper name of the self register file, which by the way is:

#_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat

so that they can be consulted by people with the same problem in the future?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Here you go: Feb 19, 2009

For all steps please note:
All files we are dealing with are hidden by default.
To view them you need to switch on viewing of hidden and system files.
You can do so via Control Panel, Folder Option.
There is a view tab, where you adapt such things.

"Documents and settings" is a system folder on your HDD C:
Please note, that its name is quite often localised, therefore use some imagination, how it could be called in your Windows.
All advices are based on Windows XP (German GUI).
"Your user name" represents the login name in Windows you are using on your PC.

First step:
Close all applications.

Second step:
Locate and delete the MultiTerm7dot.xml.
Usually it is to be found in C:\Documents and settings\Your user name\Application data\Trados\MultiTerm\MultiTerm7dot.xml.

Third step:
Go to C:\Program files\SDL International\T2007FL\TT\Templates\TRADOS8.dot
(Please note, that the T2007FL means SDL Trados 2007 Freelance; the Pro is T2007 and other versions have similar names)
Select the TRADOS8.dot and press CTRL+C (you are copying the file; NEVER remove it from that location, as it can always be used as help in case of trouble)
Now go to: C:\Documents and settings\Your user name\Application data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP and press CTRL+V. If asked to overwrite the existing file, say yes.

Fourth step:
Go to C:\Program files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007\Templates\MultiTerm7.dot
Select MultiTerm7.dot and repeat exactly the same procedure as above for TRADOS8.dot (copy this file to Word startup folder)

Fifth step:
Locate this file: C:\Program files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007\#_SelfRegister_Desktop.bat
Double click on it and let it run.

Sixth step:
Locate the installation folder of your Office.
Usually it is: C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office11 (for Office 2003; Office XP is Office10, Office 2007 is Office12).
Look through folders there, if there are no copies of TRADOS8.dot or MuliTerm7.dot (you can also use the Windows search function for that). If you find any in Office folder, delete them.
The only copies are allowed in C:\Documents and settings\Your user name\Application data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP and in Trados installation folder.

Now everything should be working.
Please note, that if you have Abbyy or Acrobat functions allowed in Word, they may be the cause for your trouble.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Great Job! Feb 19, 2009

Great job, Jerzy!

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
++ Feb 19, 2009

Pavel Tsvetkov wrote:

Great job, Jerzy!

... and I still think, Henry should have some kind of "hall of fame"-entries organized. It would be worth every cent of it - and of course your entry, J, should be among them.

Bulgaria
Member (2008)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Why? Feb 20, 2009

I cannot help bur ask this: why, having spent hundreds of euros on Trados, I have to come here, ask questions and - if I get lucky - receive an answer that will solve the problem. Why cannot the boys at SDL, having taken my money, write a patch for this common problem, or even a *.bat file to automate those steps and save me the trouble? It all should be much much easier...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Why is all the software in the world often not doing what we expect it to do? Feb 21, 2009

This is of course not an answer to your question, but Trados is surely not that bad, as it seems to be.
For instance I do not have much of the problems reported in this very forum.
Quite often this might be luck, but I also think it is the way I work.
I do most of things manualy, do not install a lot of adds - and this may be some reason why. I do not use this (nor any other PC) for gaming, listening to music, editing music or photos. So I do not need all the stuff for that - and therefore it is quite possible, that my PC is very simple compared to some others. Of course I can't tell, but this is just a slight possibility to be so.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm Error: (-2147467261): (null)

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search