https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/127871-sdl_trados_2007_suite_freelance_and_town_wide_network.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance and town-wide network
Thread poster: Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Ekaterina Yakushcheva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:08
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 18, 2009

Good day

I am going to buy SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance. It is said that only one instance can run on a network at any one time. That is clear. The problem is my PC is connected to our local town-wide network, which is the only reliable option to have access to the Internet here, although we have a couple of other providers but they are not that good. There are over 5,000 people connected to the network, so I cannot possibly know who and how many of them are using Trados. Or is i
... See more
Good day

I am going to buy SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance. It is said that only one instance can run on a network at any one time. That is clear. The problem is my PC is connected to our local town-wide network, which is the only reliable option to have access to the Internet here, although we have a couple of other providers but they are not that good. There are over 5,000 people connected to the network, so I cannot possibly know who and how many of them are using Trados. Or is it a different case? Which is the procedure Trados uses to check if it is alone in the network?

I should emphasize that I am an individual translator now (used to work in-house) and have no fellow-translators in my town to share databases with. Do I really have to buy the professional suite only to ensure nobody interferes with my using Trados?

I can see two options here:
(1) since I prefer having access to the Internet while translating (getting mails, visiting online resources, etc.), to have another Internet connection avoiding local network, which would mean a different provider (not that reliable) and would add to the cost of the software;
(2) to use Trados while I am disconnected from the network, which is inconvenient.

I am not sure I have made myself clear, still I shall be very grateful for your advice, or the good news that SDL have changed their policy regarding networks.

Than you.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 06:08
English to Czech
+ ...
A known issue Feb 18, 2009

Hi Ekaterina,
this might be a problem under certain circumstances. Trados Freelance won't run if there is already one instance of it running in the network. This is by design and it is one of the few features that distinguishes T Freelance from T Professional.
However, there is a workaround that might work for you as well. Please search the forums for "Trados Freelance Network".

Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2009

Thank you, Stanislav.

I did look through the related topics before I started mine. However, I am afraid, I am not that good at networks, etc. to understand all the suggestions.

Besides, the topics are mostly about home or office networks. In my case, networking is not about working together or sharing files, but about getting access to the Internet, if it is possible to say so. And I also wanted to point out that the problem is still there.

Anyway, thanks
... See more
Thank you, Stanislav.

I did look through the related topics before I started mine. However, I am afraid, I am not that good at networks, etc. to understand all the suggestions.

Besides, the topics are mostly about home or office networks. In my case, networking is not about working together or sharing files, but about getting access to the Internet, if it is possible to say so. And I also wanted to point out that the problem is still there.

Anyway, thanks for your advice, I will do the search again and try to find a solution.
Collapse

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Link Feb 18, 2009

Hi Ekaterina,

try this link: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/63326-how_to_use_2_sdl_trados_versions_in_a_network.html
Changing the workgroup name of my computer allowed me to work at a colleague's place using her home network. Since you are using a highly 'populated" network, I would advise you use a cust
... See more
Hi Ekaterina,

try this link: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/63326-how_to_use_2_sdl_trados_versions_in_a_network.html
Changing the workgroup name of my computer allowed me to work at a colleague's place using her home network. Since you are using a highly 'populated" network, I would advise you use a custom name!
Hope it helps
Annelise
Collapse

Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2009

Thank you, Annelise. I am inclined to try this option. But first I will have to purchase the software.

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
don't worry Feb 18, 2009

Ekaterina Yakushcheva wrote:
... I cannot possibly know who and how many of them are using Trados...

Dear Ekaterina,

You have nothing, absolutely nothing, to worry about.
The network restriction applies only to the licence --nobody else is using your licence.

If it worked the way you fear it does, all Trados users, wordlwide, would see their CAT put to sleep all the time.

Good luck with the thing!

Stefan

Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2009

Thank you, Stefan! This is just the answer I hoped to get.

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
licences Feb 18, 2009

You have nothing, absolutely nothing, to worry about.
The network restriction applies only to the licence --nobody else is using your licence.

If it worked the way you fear it does, all Trados users, wordlwide, would see their CAT put to sleep all the time.

Stefan

Hi stefan,

Juste a remark on your message: I don't fully understand how Ekaterina's network works, but I can assure you that it is indeed not possible, for two translators using a home network, to use two different freelancer licences of SDL Trados. This was done so as to prevent agencies from buying freelancer versions instead of the professional one which is much more expensive. However, changing the workgroup name of my computer helped me solve this problem.
Best,
Annelise

Miguel Armentia
Miguel Armentia
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TGB Trados 2007 freelance Feb 18, 2009

Have you seen this link from the TGB to buy Trados 2007 freelance?

http://www.proz.com/tgb/215

It is much better than purchasing it through translationzone.

Regards,

Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2009

Thank you for the link, Miguel.

I don't fully understand how Ekaterina's network works

Me neither, Annelise. That is why I addressed my doubts to our network technical staff first. They told me to ask the developers, how the licence is checked. By the way, looking through the related topics, I came across the following:
Now this new feature switches the program in demo mode if a Primary Domain Controller is detected.

This was said back in 2003. www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/14653-trados_freelance_65_wont_run_in_a_network.html#93251.

Does anybody know, if it is true now? I know that only one instance will fully operate on the same network, the second will run in demo mode. I mean the way it is done/the licence is checked.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:08
German to English
Town-wide network = Internet service provider Feb 18, 2009

I agree with the individual who indicated that you have nothing to worry about. You obtain your Internet access via this town-wide network. I obtain mine via a nation-wide network. My version of Trados works fine. When it doesn't work, it generally has to to with the software itself, or more commonly, user error.

The networks affected by the licensing restrictions are those within a company, a LAN (local area network), or in some instances, a WAN (wide area network). In very broad
... See more
I agree with the individual who indicated that you have nothing to worry about. You obtain your Internet access via this town-wide network. I obtain mine via a nation-wide network. My version of Trados works fine. When it doesn't work, it generally has to to with the software itself, or more commonly, user error.

The networks affected by the licensing restrictions are those within a company, a LAN (local area network), or in some instances, a WAN (wide area network). In very broad strokes, computers linked to one another on a LAN can communicate with one another, whereas unless you're a hacker, it's difficult to communicate directly with someone who shares your ISP, unless you use e-mail or some other communications protocol.

As the previous poster indicated, thousands of Trados users can access the same ISP without stepping on each other's toes and disabling their licenses.
Collapse

Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2009

Thank you, Kevin.

As I have already confessed, I am not good at networks. But I made an effort and recalled an abbreviation related to our town network. That is VPN. Has it anything to do with either LAN or WAN?

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
VPN = Virtual Private Network Feb 18, 2009

A VPN is generally used for accessing a LAN or WAN remotely. For example, my daughter can access the McGill University network in Montreal even though she may be in the US. A VPN is used for telecommuters who are not located in an office and who must access the company's network.

If you access your Internet service provider via a VPN, this may have some implications for your Trados license, if other people in your town are using Trados at the same time. I have to state, however, tha
... See more
A VPN is generally used for accessing a LAN or WAN remotely. For example, my daughter can access the McGill University network in Montreal even though she may be in the US. A VPN is used for telecommuters who are not located in an office and who must access the company's network.

If you access your Internet service provider via a VPN, this may have some implications for your Trados license, if other people in your town are using Trados at the same time. I have to state, however, that VPNs came into widespread use after I stopped working as a network administrator, so I'm not sure how VPN access rights might affect remote licenses.
Collapse

Ekaterina Yakushcheva
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados and VPN Feb 18, 2009

Thanks again, Kevin.

I hope SDL Support person will come and clarify how those two interact.

Kevin Fulton
United States
German to English
Quick check for VPN Feb 18, 2009

Hello Ekaterina,
One quick check for whether you're using a VPN (not foolproof, but based upon my observation of procedures used by friends / daughter using a VPN) is whether you are required to log in to your ISP. If your Internet connection is available after starting your computer without requiring you to go through a specific log-in procedure, then it is likely that you're not using a VPN. If you must log in every time, then it is possible that you're using a VPN.

Another
... See more
Hello Ekaterina,
One quick check for whether you're using a VPN (not foolproof, but based upon my observation of procedures used by friends / daughter using a VPN) is whether you are required to log in to your ISP. If your Internet connection is available after starting your computer without requiring you to go through a specific log-in procedure, then it is likely that you're not using a VPN. If you must log in every time, then it is possible that you're using a VPN.

Another way to resolve whether you're on a VPN is to contact your Internet service provider.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 Suite Freelance and town-wide network

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »