https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/128183-export_from_trados_to_sdl_edit.html

Export from Trados to SDL Edit
Thread poster: Suzanne de Loos
Suzanne de Loos
Suzanne de Loos
Netherlands
Local time: 10:59
Member (2006)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 21, 2009

Dear all,

I'm pretty sure this is quite a stupid question, sorry for that!

A client sent me some SDL Edit files. Under file I opened "view source" and got an rft.doc on my screen. Perfect, this meant I could translate with Trados! (or so I thought). I don't like the SDL edit environment and it seemed like I couldn't do a spellcheck in SDL Edit, so I translated in Trados.

But how do I export the translated file or the TM back to SDL Edit?? I just can't fig
... See more
Dear all,

I'm pretty sure this is quite a stupid question, sorry for that!

A client sent me some SDL Edit files. Under file I opened "view source" and got an rft.doc on my screen. Perfect, this meant I could translate with Trados! (or so I thought). I don't like the SDL edit environment and it seemed like I couldn't do a spellcheck in SDL Edit, so I translated in Trados.

But how do I export the translated file or the TM back to SDL Edit?? I just can't figure it out, have searched for solutions on the internet and in this forum, but nothing...

I would be great if anyone could help out!

I work with Trados 7.0.

thank you in advance,

Suzanne
Collapse

Kathi Stock
Kathi Stock  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:59
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
How to import a translated Trados RTF file into SDLX Feb 21, 2009

Launch SDL Edit / From the File menu choose New Translation

Use the browse button to select your pre-translated Trados file as the source on the new translation dialog.

Choose OK when ready to proceed and the file will open with any 100% matches from a previously applied Trados TM marked in gold and any non translated segments unmarked and ready to translate.

To import pre-translated Trados files the segmentation rules can be left as default as the segmenta
... See more
Launch SDL Edit / From the File menu choose New Translation

Use the browse button to select your pre-translated Trados file as the source on the new translation dialog.

Choose OK when ready to proceed and the file will open with any 100% matches from a previously applied Trados TM marked in gold and any non translated segments unmarked and ready to translate.

To import pre-translated Trados files the segmentation rules can be left as default as the segmentation is already set in Trados.

I am assuming you have the SDLX program to perform the steps. If not...then I am not really sure how you can avoid performing "copy and paste" for each segment to transfer your Trados translation into the ITD file.

BTW...you can perform a spell check and a grammar check in SDLX.

Hope that helps,

Kathi
Collapse

Suzanne de Loos
Suzanne de Loos
Netherlands
Member (2006)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 21, 2009

Thanks so much Kathi for your quick answer, it worked out perfectly!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Another option Feb 21, 2009

Hi Suzanne,
if you have SDL Trandos 756 or later, you can import the ITD files into TagEditor and translate them there. Once you are finished, you can export the TTX back into ITD and update the translation memory in SDL Edit. A bit of dull routine though, especially if you have fifty files to process...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export from Trados to SDL Edit

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »