https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/128345-translating_a_rtf_document_taken_from_a_pdf_strange_characters_appear_on_closing_segments.html

Translating a rtf document taken from a pdf, strange characters appear on closing segments.
Thread poster: Kate Major Patience
Kate Major Patience
Kate Major Patience
Spain
Local time: 15:42
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 23, 2009

Help!
I have been sent some rtf documents to translate with the original pdfs as a reference. When I open the segments they are in the original font. I translate the segment, and when I close it both source and target appear as wingdings. I usually send bilingual documents to this client. I do not know why this is happening, or how to fix it. I am using trados 7.5 and Word 2003. I have tried saving the document as a .doc and the same thing happens. Has anyone seen this before and can anyon
... See more
Help!
I have been sent some rtf documents to translate with the original pdfs as a reference. When I open the segments they are in the original font. I translate the segment, and when I close it both source and target appear as wingdings. I usually send bilingual documents to this client. I do not know why this is happening, or how to fix it. I am using trados 7.5 and Word 2003. I have tried saving the document as a .doc and the same thing happens. Has anyone seen this before and can anyone help me solve this issue? I am at a loss. I have used both the client TM and my own general TM and the same thing happens. I am quite a basic Trados user, and have never seen this before. Please help!
Thanks in advance.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-02-24 21:39 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:42
German to English
+ ...
Try preparing the RTF better Feb 23, 2009

A lot of converted files have this problem and others; you'll find enough discussions of possible solutions in the archives here. A few quick suggestions:

- try opening & re-saving the file with OpenOffice

- try Dave Turner's CodeZapper macros (available on the Internet)

- try some of the suggestions that have been published for post-OCR file preparation

If all else fails, just save it as naked text and re-format it yourself. As bad as this sou
... See more
A lot of converted files have this problem and others; you'll find enough discussions of possible solutions in the archives here. A few quick suggestions:

- try opening & re-saving the file with OpenOffice

- try Dave Turner's CodeZapper macros (available on the Internet)

- try some of the suggestions that have been published for post-OCR file preparation

If all else fails, just save it as naked text and re-format it yourself. As bad as this sounds, it often saves time.

If the conversion was done with automated OCR settings, your situation may be fairly hopeless. Get a good OCR program like Abbyy FineReader and learn to do the conversions yourself. Manually. Very few agencies or direct customers can be trusted to get this right.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 15:42
English to Czech
+ ...
TagEditor Feb 24, 2009

Translate in TagEditor. If this doesn't help, try to setup fonts in the Translation Memory setup.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating a rtf document taken from a pdf, strange characters appear on closing segments.

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »