Thread poster: Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:06
French to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2009

I am running SDL Trados v. 7.1.0.719 and am slightly annoyed nearly every day by this message.

It occurs when I am in MS Word, have forgotten to open Workbench, and try to open a segment in my document.

My question is: in later releases/versions, is this fixed? i.e. is there some kind of box saying 'would you like to start Workbench now?' as there is when I start TagEditor up?

I could solve it by remembering to open Workbench first, but a reminder would be
... See more
I am running SDL Trados v. 7.1.0.719 and am slightly annoyed nearly every day by this message.

It occurs when I am in MS Word, have forgotten to open Workbench, and try to open a segment in my document.

My question is: in later releases/versions, is this fixed? i.e. is there some kind of box saying 'would you like to start Workbench now?' as there is when I start TagEditor up?

I could solve it by remembering to open Workbench first, but a reminder would be nice.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:06
English to Czech
+ ...
You need Translator's Workbench to open a segment Feb 26, 2009

Hi Angela,
Translator's Workbench (TWB) is the application where your translation memory is stored and managed. Therefore, if you want to open a segment, you need TWB running. That means, you need to run TWB BEFORE you open the first segment.
There is no reminder in Word.

[Upraveno: 2009-02-26 14:47 GMT]

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not fixed Feb 26, 2009

Hi Angela,

I also find this annoying and no, it's not fixed in later versions.

D.

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Why fix at all? Feb 26, 2009

Imagine that everytime you are about to work in Word w/o Trados you get a message reminding you to launch Workbench. Now that would be REALLY annoying.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 27, 2009

Stanislav - thank you, I do understand how Workbench works. I do not want a reminder every time I work in Word; I would like a reminder when I try to open a (Trados) segment in Word. It'd just be a little extra - now, it tells me 'Translator's Workbench is not running'. I would like it to say 'Translator's Workbench is not running. Would you like to start it now?'.

Diarmuid - thanks for the confirmation. Perhaps I'll post a request on the relevant part of the SDL website. If that h
... See more
Stanislav - thank you, I do understand how Workbench works. I do not want a reminder every time I work in Word; I would like a reminder when I try to open a (Trados) segment in Word. It'd just be a little extra - now, it tells me 'Translator's Workbench is not running'. I would like it to say 'Translator's Workbench is not running. Would you like to start it now?'.

Diarmuid - thanks for the confirmation. Perhaps I'll post a request on the relevant part of the SDL website. If that had been fixed, I might have upgraded - anything else in the newer versions that I might like? I'm generally happy enough with my current version that I see little need to upgrade.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Now I can see what you mean Feb 27, 2009

It'd just be a little extra - now, it tells me 'Translator's Workbench is not running'. I would like it to say 'Translator's Workbench is not running. Would you like to start it now?'.

Yes, this would be fine. Maybe you could post this on Trados Ideas.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Translator's Workbench is not running" grumble

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »