Tag Editor, can't reopen file next day
Thread poster: Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Feb 28, 2009

I'm working on some Tag Editor files taken from a Power Point presentation.

When I close the file and go back to it next day, it won't open and I get this error message:
"(40007): Error reading TTX file header: A leading surrogate character was not followed by a legal second character"

Does anyone know what this means and how I can get round the problem?

I have all the translation in the memory, so I can start again and recover it, but the problem rem
... See more
I'm working on some Tag Editor files taken from a Power Point presentation.

When I close the file and go back to it next day, it won't open and I get this error message:
"(40007): Error reading TTX file header: A leading surrogate character was not followed by a legal second character"

Does anyone know what this means and how I can get round the problem?

I have all the translation in the memory, so I can start again and recover it, but the problem remains. I just finished a file and checked to see whether it would reopen.... same error message!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Most probably you have damaged your file Feb 28, 2009

The error message says it quite clear: TE is expecting something in the TTX file structure, what is not present.
You can try copying the translated file, which you now can't open, to another folder, then recreating the ttx from ppt and comparing the new ttx with the old one. This way you will be able to find out, what is missing in the ttx.
Are you sure you saved the ttx before closing?
Did you allow Tageditor to save the file or did you close it right away after using the save
... See more
The error message says it quite clear: TE is expecting something in the TTX file structure, what is not present.
You can try copying the translated file, which you now can't open, to another folder, then recreating the ttx from ppt and comparing the new ttx with the old one. This way you will be able to find out, what is missing in the ttx.
Are you sure you saved the ttx before closing?
Did you allow Tageditor to save the file or did you close it right away after using the save function?
It takes some time to save the TTX file - ppt produced ttx files are big. This may be the cause - closing TagEditor to fast.
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't make the file myself Feb 28, 2009

I was given the file by a colleague, we're sharing the job.
She can't open my file either, so in the meantime I've sent her the memory and she's going to go through her own file with that.
I do have the Power Point file, so I'll try making a new Tag Editor file from it, though at the moment I haven't a clue how to start, I'm still a beginner where Tag Editor is concerned.

I don't think the problem is in the saving, I saved several times while working on the file and of c
... See more
I was given the file by a colleague, we're sharing the job.
She can't open my file either, so in the meantime I've sent her the memory and she's going to go through her own file with that.
I do have the Power Point file, so I'll try making a new Tag Editor file from it, though at the moment I haven't a clue how to start, I'm still a beginner where Tag Editor is concerned.

I don't think the problem is in the saving, I saved several times while working on the file and of course at the end.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Versions conflict? Feb 28, 2009

Did you compare the version of your Trados and this of your colleague?
This would be the first thing to do.
If you have the ppt - simply open it in Tageditor and translate from TM.
Please allow Tageditor some time to open the ppt (depending on SDL Trados version it may take even up to half an hour!).

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Build version? Mar 1, 2009

Alexandra Speirs wrote:

What is your Trados version (build number)?

W.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor, can't reopen file next day

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »