Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Starting translation - Trados seems not to work with Word (no Trados toolbar in Word)
Thread poster: hetongzhi

hetongzhi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:07
Member (2008)
Finnish to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2009

I have just installed Trados and I'm not sure how to get it to work properly. The tutorial says to click the open / get button on the Translator Workbench toolbar. But there is no Traders Workbench toolbar. The illustration has something in Word that looks like a down arrow but I don't know how that's supposed to get into Word, as I certainly don't have it. Any explanations would be appreciated.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-01 17:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:07
English to Czech
+ ...
Search this forum... Mar 1, 2009

...for "missing Trados toolbar".
Check whether the file trados8.dot (or trados8.dotm) is stored in the OfficeXX/Startup folder (the XX represents the Office version number). If not, search your HDD and copy the file there.
If it is there and Word still does not display the Trados toolbar, right-click on the Word toolbars and tick Trados.
That should do it.

BTW, you should always mention your system config:
- OS and version;
- Trados version;
- Word version.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not in \OfficeXX\Startup! Mar 1, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Check whether the file trados8.dot (or trados8.dotm) is stored in the OfficeXX/Startup folder (the XX represents the Office version number). If not, search your HDD and copy the file there.
If it is there and Word still does not display the Trados toolbar, right-click on the Word toolbars and tick Trados.
That should do it.

BTW, you should always mention your system config:
- OS and version;
- Trados version;
- Word version.

Your advice is correct, but Trados templates MUST be placed in users startup folder, ie
c:\documents and settings\current user name\application data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
where "current user name" your logon for Windows XP is (hopefuly you are the system administrator). Unfortunately I do not know the location for Vista, but it is still somehow similar.

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Oops... Mar 1, 2009

Yes, of course. Sorry about that one.

United States
Member (2008)
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
O/S Mar 1, 2009

I have Windows XP and openoffice 3.0 for my word processing system. Trados 2007 synergy just purchased. MS Word 2003 although I can't get the basic word template back. But if I use an older word document, nothing from Trados is visible.(i.e. those arrows).

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Would you please rewrite your text so, that an average person can understand it? Mar 1, 2009

hetongzhi wrote:

I have Windows XP and openoffice 3.0 for my word processing system. Trados 2007 synergy just purchased. MS Word 2003 although I can't get the basic word template back. But if I use an older word document, nothing from Trados is visible.(i.e. those arrows).

Do you have Word 2003?
If yes, why don't you simply follow Stanislavs advice and check, if Trados templates (Trados8.dot, Multierm7.dot) are placed where they should (startup folder of Word)?
Then please als check, if they are NOT present in Office startup folder (OfficeXX\Startup).
If they are there and not working, check if you have any other active templates in Word, ie Acrobat or Abbyy. You will need to remove them, as otherwise Trados will not work.
If all this does not help, recreate your Normal.dot in Word.
And please, use the search function, as all this has been discussed many times before.

United States
Member (2008)
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further Issues Mar 1, 2009

Jerzy: oczywiscie I used the search function, but Trados doesn't seem to answer these kinds of questions.

At this point, I was able to get the Trados bar into an older word document, but the workbench doesn't function as the tutorial says it should == I only get two windows, and not the third one on the right side for the translation memory function. All it then does is gives me a green line under the first word to be translated from the original Word text.

And I now see that Trados doesn't offer any support for new users.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, but these are not issues Mar 1, 2009

hetongzhi wrote:

Jerzy: oczywiscie I used the search function, but Trados doesn't seem to answer these kinds of questions.

At this point, I was able to get the Trados bar into an older word document, but the workbench doesn't function as the tutorial says it should == I only get two windows, and not the third one on the right side for the translation memory function. All it then does is gives me a green line under the first word to be translated from the original Word text.

Your descriptions are somehow weird and not understandable.
Trados does not have any answers to your querry on this forum - only forum user have. And here are a lot of answers to how install Trados and get it working in Word.
But before you start writing an answer again: please put it in words in a ways an average person can understand. So start a sentence and bring it to an end. Describe what you see so, that the reader will not need a crystal ball to understand you.
What do you mean with two windows and not three - and why then on the right side? Did you read the manual at all? I doubt very much, and I doubt you made any attempt to use the tutorials provided with Trados. Would you, your descriptions would have been different. And you would know, that working with Trados means using just two windows - Word and Workbench.

United States
Member (2008)
Finnish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Przepraszam Mar 1, 2009

Jerzy, I would not be taking your valuable time if things worked as they are supposed to according to the tutorial and the manual. Well, they don't and that's why I'm stuck. I wish I could put pictorials into this so you can visualize the window I'm looking at in translation memory. It's not the same as the window in the tutorial. If all you are prepared to do is make snide remarks about my English, then your assistance is not necessary.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Yes, in \OfficeXX\Startup! ;P Mar 1, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

/quote]

Your advice is correct, but Trados templates MUST be placed in users startup folder,

You're wrong.
The directory mentionned by Stanislas is perfectly correct and the template will work.
This is the traditional location for the templates loaded at the Word startup dating from the time when it was no user's directory in Windows... many, many years ago...
The "advantage" of the Program files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX\Startup location is the template will be forced for all users.

ie
c:\documents and settings\current user name\application data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
where "current user name" your logon for Windows XP is (hopefuly you are the system administrator).

It's not necessary.
By default, all users are allowed to write in their own folders.
Unless the admin decided otherwise

Unfortunately I do not know the location for Vista, but it is still somehow similar.

Yep, somehow similar
C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Roaming etc.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-01 19:03 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
The third pane... Mar 1, 2009

hetongzhi wrote:

The Trados manuals are not very friendly

But you can see the "Trados for Idiots, by an Idiot" by Life Jensen
http://life.bizland.com/trados.htm

PS.
A quotation
Please note: This guide is provided for free, but the deal is, that if you like it and find it useful, then you send Trados an e-mail and tell them, that you are SO glad SOMEONE made it, since they couldn’t get their sorry asses together to do it.

At this point, I was able to get the Trados bar into an older word document, but the workbench doesn't function as the tutorial says it should == I only get two windows, and not the third one on the right side for the translation memory function.

You should set up a terminology data base in Multiterm, select this termbase in Workbench (Options, Term recognition options) and activate the term recognition if necessary (Options, Term recognition).

All it then does is gives me a green line under the first word to be translated from the original Word text.

???
The grammar check is activated in Word?
Just disable it...

Neither Microsoft does it...

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-01 19:02 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not make remarks about your English, as mine isn't probably better Mar 1, 2009

Thing is, that in order to help you I must understand you.
This is why I asked you to start to write in a systematic way.
Only then I will be able to recognize your problems, imagine what you see and what is wrong with it. Your English does not matter for me at all.
So let us start over again:
Close all applications.
First please check, if you:

• have the Trados8.dot and Multiterm7.dot in your Word startup folder, located in c:\documents and settings\current user name\application data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
  • do not have any copies of those templates in c:\program files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Startup

Should all this be the case and Trados is not working, please go to:
c:\program files\SDL International\T2007FL\TT\Templates
and copy the Trados8.dot you find there to the above mentioned location. Please overwrite the existing template there. Please do not remove this template from its previous folder, but just copy it (CTL+C, CTRL+V or right click with the mouse).
Repeat the same procedure for this location
c:\program files\SDL International\MultiTerm 2007\Templates
and the file MultiTerm7.dot.

Check, if it is working now, ie if you have the Trados menu in Word.
If not close Word and go to
c:\documents and settings\current user name\application data\Microsoft\Templates
and rename the Normal.dot to _Normal.dot

Check again. Now it really should work.

And a tipp:
When you work with Trados, your screen should be set up as the image below shows:

[Edited at 2009-03-01 19:08 GMT]

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
@Grzegorz Mar 1, 2009

If it works for you, than it is fine.
But if you have the templates in BOTH locations, you are running into problems.
And the OfficeXX\Startup location is not the right one, according to Trados support.
In fact I have seen installations, which did not work with this locations, but did perfectly well, when the corresponding template has been placed in users personal startup folder. Believe me, I did my research on that, otherwise I wouldn't post.

Best
Jerzy

PS
How are the 4cats?

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry but... Mar 1, 2009

hetongzhi wrote:

Jerzy, I would not be taking your valuable time if things worked as they are supposed to according to the tutorial and the manual. Well, they don't and that's why I'm stuck. I wish I could put pictorials into this so you can visualize the window I'm looking at in translation memory. It's not the same as the window in the tutorial. If all you are prepared to do is make snide remarks about my English, then your assistance is not necessary.

...I don't seem to understand your points either. You are talking about Word and about OpenOffice. You are talking about Synergy. In what connection and why? Please provide a CLEAR description of what you are doing, so we can help you. All we are asking you to do is to organize your thoughts properly before you put them into writing. The other ProZians are here to provide help, not to make remarks on somebody else's English. But as Jerzy put it "in order to help you I must understand you."
In fact, much of what I know about Trados is thanks to Jerzy and his earlier posts. And there are doznes of other forum users who owe Jerzy a thousand thank-yous for saving their buttocks!!!

[Upraveno: 2009-03-01 19:32 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
No offence... Mar 1, 2009

hetongzhi wrote:

If all you are prepared to do is make snide remarks about my English, then your assistance is not necessary.
[/quote]
Believe me, Jerzy is more friendly and polite than me

He never would have said the Multiterm programmers are all sorry bastards as I repeat proudly (with founded reasons) in almost every thead about Multiterm I join

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-01 19:25 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Starting translation - Trados seems not to work with Word (no Trados toolbar in Word)

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search