Trados Synergy: This file cannot be processed...
Thread poster: Hanna Burdon

Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:24
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2009

I'm trying to create a new project in Synergy and the error message I get is: "This file cannot be processed as TTX because it was saved as a bilingual document in Word". I've seen other colleagues ask about this message but it seems to have always been at the clean-up stage, whereas I can't even start the translation. The document doesn't seem to be bilingual, I selected the whole document and made sure it was all marked as one language, it doesn't seem to have headers/footers. I realize that the problem is probably with the file, but how do I fix it?

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:24
French to Polish
+ ...
Possibly perfectly correct... Mar 4, 2009

Hanna Burdon wrote:

I'm trying to create a new project in Synergy and the error message I get is: "This file cannot be processed as TTX because it was saved as a bilingual document in Word". I've seen other colleagues ask about this message but it seems to have always been at the clean-up stage, whereas I can't even start the translation.

No, in theory, it's perfectly correct.
You're warned 'cause this kind of file can't be processed as TTX.

The document doesn't seem to be bilingual, I selected the whole document and made sure it was all marked as one language,

It's not sufficient.
Probably your file contains well formed Trados segments (Word workflow).
TE detects 'em and refuses to cooperate.
Of course, sometimes something is messed up in the file and TE gets stupid as Mulititerm programmers.

it doesn't seem to have headers/footers. I realize that the problem is probably with the file, but how do I fix it?

It depends of the number of the segments.
Search for the Tw4WinMark style.
If you have few occurencies, just open these segments and restore the source.
It should be sufficient.

Cheers
GG

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jak chłop krowie, please Mar 4, 2009

The files do contain Tw4WinMark styles. Let me see whether I understand you correctly: is it because the files were originally translated by someone using Trados? (I'm doing a back-translation.) And now I have to open them using what, Word and Workbench? Or TagEditor?
Sorry but brain not working too well this time of night and I'd like that sorted for tomorrow morning so I can get to work.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
That's precisely it Mar 4, 2009

Hi Hanna,
this document was pre-translated using Trados. The "bilingual" issue has nothing to do with the language of the document as used for the spelling checker. This has to do with Trados.
When you open the document and show the hidden text, you will see that there are segments that are already translated. That's why Trados reports this file as a "bilingual document".

In general, such file cannot be converted into TTX, so you will have to edit them in Word.

French to Polish
+ ...
I jeszcze dodam kota, of course :) Mar 5, 2009

Hanna Burdon wrote:

The files do contain Tw4WinMark styles. Let me see whether I understand you correctly: is it because the files were originally translated by someone using Trados?

YES.
And it's possible they were cleaned up improperly or not cleaned up at all.
Your text is bilingual somewhere?
If you enable the hidden text display and you see Trados segments, clean up it first against a test TM.
Then try to use TE.

(I'm doing a back-translation.)

I see...
Possibly you can reverse and reuse the test TM

And now I have to open them using what, Word and Workbench? Or TagEditor?

If TE doesn't work after the cleanup, try better with Word and Workbench.
It will work.
The Word workflow in Trados is so primitive you'll always be able to fix manually incorrect sentences or skip 'em if necessary.

Sorry but brain not working too well this time of night and I'd like that sorted for tomorrow morning so I can get to work.

Ehm.
When I see what I'm writing, I see neither my brain is working well...
I go to bed in few minutes...

PS.
Piękne po mamie, bojowe po tacie

Zdrówkot
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-05 00:11 GMT]

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
the morning after Mar 5, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

YES.
And it's possible they were cleaned up improperly or not cleaned up at all.
Your text is bilingual somewhere?

Not that I can see.

If you enable the hidden text display and you see Trados segments, clean up it first against a test TM.
Then try to use TE.

I seem to have hidden text display enabled, yet I can't seem to see Trados segments. But I did a clean up using a test TM and it seems to have found some. Unfortunately, the original problem persists.

(I'm doing a back-translation.)

I see...
Possibly you can reverse and reuse the test TM

Good thinking.

If TE doesn't work after the cleanup, try better with Word and Workbench.
It will work.

Like I say, TE still seems unhappy, but Word/Workbench seems to work, so I'll try that.

The Word workflow in Trados is so primitive you'll always be able to fix manually incorrect sentences or skip 'em if necessary.

Ah, fix manually. I might need some moral support for that. I'm still very new to the Trados game. Actually, the reason why I braved Synergy and TE at all was because I couldn't get MultiTerm to work in Word. I simply can't find the termbase files, the only one I have on the list is a "sample"... Synergy worked beautifully for the last couple of projects I did though, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to use it for this one.

Merci beaucoup for your help,

Hania

French to Polish
+ ...
Multiterm idiots revisited... Mar 5, 2009

Hanna Burdon wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Ah, fix manually. I might need some moral support for that. [/quote]
It's not so complicate at all.
If you see something really strange e.g. bilingual text, just correct the sentence before you open it.

I'm still very new to the Trados game.

Aaargh... another Trados victim...

Actually, the reason why I braved Synergy and TE at all was because I couldn't get MultiTerm to work in Word. I simply can't find the termbase files, the only one I have on the list is a "sample"...

Just google "Gryc Multiterm idiots 2007" and you'll see my standard response

Synergy worked beautifully for the last couple of projects I did though, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to use it for this one.

Nothing's perfect.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-05 10:28 GMT]

United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Un-erm-believable Mar 5, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

You mean http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/44890 ?

And I thought it was me being thick. Honestly, un-erm-believable.

Thanks again i pozdrowienia dla kotów.

Hania

French to Polish
+ ...
It's only one example... Mar 5, 2009

Hanna Burdon wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

You mean http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/message/44890 ?

Yes, it is.
I have no longer force to paste the direct links...

And I thought it was me being thick. Honestly, un-erm-believable.

It's only one of their sensational achievements

Thanks again i pozdrowienia dla kotów.

Mkrnnnhmkrrr

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-03-05 11:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Synergy: This file cannot be processed...

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search