Problems with opening multiterm termbases in word
Thread poster: Mark1

Mark1  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:00
Spanish to English
Mar 5, 2009

Hi,

After posting yesterday about being unable to access Mulititerm bases in Word, I've solved this by turning off UAC, I've had further problems with the JAVA incompatibilties which I've managed to solve, I now have this problem:

I'm using (or trying to), SDL Multiterm 2007 and Word 2007 with Vista,

When trying to open termbases in Word I get - 2147467261 (null) error messages.

followed by "Object variable or width block variable not set" and "runtime error 91" messages.

Does anyone know if there's a particular solution to this problem, I've tried reinstalling and changing the database locations, I've tried looking for the soution in the forums but can't find anything definite, although others have had similar probs I see, and even that it should have been solved in Trados SP2. I've tried reinstalling Muliterm.

Thanks for any help.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:00
French to Polish
+ ...
Testing... Mar 5, 2009

Mark1 wrote:

After posting yesterday about being unable to access Mulititerm bases in Word, I've solved this by turning off UAC, I've had further problems with the JAVA incompatibilties which I've managed to solve, I now have this problem:

I'm using (or trying to), SDL Multiterm 2007 and Word 2007 with Vista,

When trying to open termbases in Word I get - 2147467261 (null) error messages.

followed by "Object variable or width block variable not set" and "runtime error 91" messages.

Does anyone know if there's a particular solution to this problem, I've tried reinstalling and changing the database locations, I've tried looking for the soution in the forums but can't find anything definite, although others have had similar probs I see, and even that it should have been solved in Trados SP2. I've tried reinstalling Muliterm.


Generally, a rapid reinstallation is not the solution as the Multiterm programmers were several times unable to bind correctly their crap to correct runtimes.
So, it may make the things worse.

Try to identify the problem.

First, try to check if MultiTerm works with TagEditor.
If no, you have a general problem.

If yes, close Word and search for the file
C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Roaming\Trados\MultiTerm\MultiTerm7dot.xml
and delete it.
In the same way, replace the multiterm template
C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\MultiTerm7.dotm
by the file provided in the Multiterm folder somewhere in the C:\Program Files hierarchy.
Restart Word.

If the problem is solved, you have chance.
If no, you have really problems i.e. your MT installation is probably corrupt.
I assume your Java is correct.
Try to uninstall/reinstall the MS XML package.
If it doesn't work, you may have a .Net problem.
Personally, I don't think the .Net reinstallation will solve the problem automagically
A messed .Net imay be practically unrecoverable.

Contact the support, even if you haven't purchased the PSMA contract.
You're entitled to contact'em in case of installation problems.

PS.
I hope you haven't installed the IE8 beta crap.
The same with the MS Office Live add-in.

Cheers
GG


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Mark1  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:00
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 5, 2009

Deleting the .xml file and replacing the .dotm file has done the trick, not extensively tested yet, so I await my next problem.

I have to say this is the most problematic bit of software that I have ever installed with the least amount of technical support.

No wonder there are no trials.

Thanks again for your help its very much appreciated.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 21:00
English to Czech
+ ...
Seconded Mar 5, 2009

Mark1 wrote:
I have to say this is the most problematic bit of software that I have ever installed with the least amount of technical support.

And perhaps the least reliable one too...


[Upraveno: 2009-03-05 21:03 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marie-Louise Desfray  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:00
English to French
+ ...
Thank you Mar 9, 2009

Thank you Grzegorz, I've had the issue for a while, now solved.
/ml


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:00
Member (2004)
French to English
Thanks Grzegorz! Mar 30, 2009

I knew how to find these files in XP, but couldn't find the .dot in Vista - perfect and quick and simple.

Thank you!

Kate


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with opening multiterm termbases in word

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search