Multiterm Multilingual export
Thread poster: Mosor

Mosor
Local time: 21:12
English to German
+ ...
Mar 9, 2009

Hello,

I would like to create a multilingual glossary in five languages but I do not have a term entry for each language. When I execute Multiterm html export the terms are mixed and not in that column the term is dedicated to. Multiterm is just filling in the fields from left to right when a target term of one or more languages is missing.
Does somebody faces the same problem?

Thanks!

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
A bug... Mar 9, 2009

Mosor wrote:

I would like to create a multilingual glossary in five languages but I do not have a term entry for each language. When I execute Multiterm html export the terms are mixed and not in that column the term is dedicated to. Multiterm is just filling in the fields from left to right when a target term of one or more languages is missing.
Does somebody faces the same problem?

Yes, it's a flagrant bug.
The same bug is in the CSV export filter.

You have two workarounds:
- export as xml, then import the xml in Across, then export as CSV (if your termbase definition is complex, you must modify the import definition in Across, a standard termbase will work OK) .
- export as Multiterm 5 using a definition created manually (the default definition exports only the active source and target languages), then you can convert it to XLS using a well known macro from the TW_users yahoo group.

Hereby, I put a virtual red-hot iron rod in the arses of the Multiterm programmers...

Cheers
GG

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"Hereby, I put a virtual red-hot iron rod ..." Mar 9, 2009

I think they've stopped long ago to feel the pain ...

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
macro Mar 9, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

- export as Multiterm 5 using a definition created manually (the default definition exports only the active source and target languages), then you can convert it to XLS using a well known macro from the TW_users yahoo group.

Hereby, I put a virtual red-hot iron rod in the arses of the Multiterm programmers...

Cheers
GG

Could you link to or upload said macro?

French to Polish
+ ...
MT5-XLS converter... Mar 9, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Could you link to or upload said macro?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/files/Macros/Macros%20from%20Users/
You must login to enter.

Then download Converter.zip by Sergei Mouraviev.
Enjoyicon_smile.gif

Cheers
GG

miran
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Multiterm 5 export definition Sep 28, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

- export as Multiterm 5 using a definition created manually (the default definition exports only the active source and target languages).

Do you have this definition in a file form? I tried to modify the default definition but I did not obtain the expected results.

Miran

French to Polish
+ ...
Termbase dependent definitions :( Sep 28, 2009

miran wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

- export as Multiterm 5 using a definition created manually (the default definition exports only the active source and target languages).

Do you have this definition in a file form? I tried to modify the default definition but I did not obtain the expected results.

The definition should be made separately for every termbase.
Even if I send you some defintion, it will not work on your termbases.

IMHO the fact that Multiterm is unable to export multilingual termbases by default is a pain in the arse.
Probably the best approach is to export as Trados XML and use an external tool.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm Multilingual export

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search