I can't import the memory of a small job to my main memory.
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 09:09
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Mar 18, 2009

I use Trados' Version 7.0. Since one of my clients instructed me to create a new memory file for her job and send it along with the clean file, I had to do so. I have successfully translated the job and sent her the memory and now I want to import the memory of that particular job to my main memory for ease and convenience. I opened my main memory and chose Import from the file menu. I noticed that the following were already selected in the box which was opened:

Small Import Fil
... See more
I use Trados' Version 7.0. Since one of my clients instructed me to create a new memory file for her job and send it along with the clean file, I had to do so. I have successfully translated the job and sent her the memory and now I want to import the memory of that particular job to my main memory for ease and convenience. I opened my main memory and chose Import from the file menu. I noticed that the following were already selected in the box which was opened:

Small Import File (no reorganisation)

Merge

Add to Setup

I clicked on the OK button and browsed to the folder of the memory file but much to my surprise the folder is shown empty but in fact the memory file is already there alongwith four other files. I can see that the Titles of 6 files are shown in the "Files of type" column (Translators Workbench, TMX, Systran and Logos) but no file is shown in Open Import File Dialogue box.

What is the problem and how should I fix it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Chopra
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:39
German to English
Export memory from smaller job Mar 18, 2009

You didn't indicate whether you exported the TM from the smaller job. If you didn't, export as a txt file, then import into the main TM.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:39
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
have you exported it? Mar 18, 2009

hello "langclinic",

i am not sure I am following you, so I might ask a silly question: did you export the memory you created in a *.txt file?

I seem to understand you haven't. You can't import a TM as is (each TM has 5 files). You have to export it first

(Open the TM in TWB, click on export, set languages, save the export file as a *.txt and then open the other one and import it.)

Giuliana

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 20:39
English to Dutch
+ ...
Careful importing or exporting a TM with SDL Trados Mar 18, 2009

Dear Chopra

Follow the advice of my colleagues before, but backup all TMs involved FIRST!

The importing/exporting can ruin a TM beyond repair.

Good luck!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:39
English to German
+ ...
Careful about generalisation Mar 18, 2009

Marinus,

Follow the advice of my colleagues before, but backup all TMs involved FIRST!

The importing/exporting can ruin a TM beyond repair.

I don't doubt the fact that you had technical problems - but please be careful about generalisations. I'm exporting and importing several times a day: never had a single problem with it.

Best regards,
Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I can't import the memory of a small job to my main memory.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »