Thread poster: Martina Ley
Martina Ley
Martina Ley
Local time: 08:29
German to Czech
+ ...
Aug 4, 2003

Hello everybody,

does anybody know how to work with PowerPoint documents in Trados 5 Freelance?
Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot.

Martina

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Aug 4, 2003

Hello,

I have Trados 5.5, and it has T-windows, one of which is the T-window for PowerPoint. You have to open the powerpoint file, the Translator's Workbench and the T-window for powerpoint, and Trados will appear in the powerpoint tool bar. Then you open, and continue from there.

The only thing is, check well, because sometimes the formatting, etc. is slightly changed...

Good luck.
... See more
Hello,

I have Trados 5.5, and it has T-windows, one of which is the T-window for PowerPoint. You have to open the powerpoint file, the Translator's Workbench and the T-window for powerpoint, and Trados will appear in the powerpoint tool bar. Then you open, and continue from there.

The only thing is, check well, because sometimes the formatting, etc. is slightly changed...

Good luck.

Mar
Collapse

Jonathan Whiteley
Jonathan Whiteley  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:29
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Trados power point font problem in Windows XP Aug 4, 2003

My Trados 5.5 version has been working well with Power Point presentations until this past weekend now I attempt to start Trados after the presentation has been loaded in PPT I get an immediate error message "This presentation contains unavailable fonts" and there is no more activity.

The font in question is Arial which of course is installed. Changing fonts within PPT produces the same problem. Trados says that they know of one user who had this problem and solved it by deletin
... See more
My Trados 5.5 version has been working well with Power Point presentations until this past weekend now I attempt to start Trados after the presentation has been loaded in PPT I get an immediate error message "This presentation contains unavailable fonts" and there is no more activity.

The font in question is Arial which of course is installed. Changing fonts within PPT produces the same problem. Trados says that they know of one user who had this problem and solved it by deleting and reinstalling fonts. When I try to delete the font in the control panel I get an error message that this font cannot be deleted. If someone has experience with this issue I would appreciate hearing about it.

Regards

JW
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:29
English to Spanish
+ ...
This might help... Aug 4, 2003

On a previous occasion somebody had problems with the unavailable fonts, as I did ,at the very beginning of my Trados-Powerpoint experience, I wrote on Apr 12 :

This is the easy part:
Here are several ways to launch T-Window for PowerPoint:

From the start menu:

· Select the T-Window for PowerPoint from the T-Windows option under Trados

To launch T-Window for PowerPoint from within PowerPoint:

· Click on the Flagman
... See more
On a previous occasion somebody had problems with the unavailable fonts, as I did ,at the very beginning of my Trados-Powerpoint experience, I wrote on Apr 12 :

This is the easy part:
Here are several ways to launch T-Window for PowerPoint:

From the start menu:

· Select the T-Window for PowerPoint from the T-Windows option under Trados

To launch T-Window for PowerPoint from within PowerPoint:

· Click on the Flagman button . The T-Window for PowerPoint containing the first source segment and an empty target window is displayed.
or
· Select Open from the Trados menu in PowerPoint.
Starting to Translate
To search in the translation memory for the first segment specified in the translation sequence:

· Select Open/Get from the Trados menu in PowerPoint.

or
· Click the Open/Get button on the Workbench toolbar in the T-Window for PowerPoint.

Now comes the hard part, at least it was for me before I got the hang of it

In the Toolbar, under Trados , When you select the Presentation Statistics command, T-Window for PowerPoint creates a text file containing useful statistics about the presentation. The text file is created in the same directory as the presentation and will have the same name as the presentation with -TTWin.txt appended. This file may be opened with Notepad or any other text editor. . You will learn from this text file which fonts are used in the document.

You have to prepare a document before you start working on it with Trados

1) Open the document in Powerpoint

2) Format > Replace fonts

3) Check upper checkbox (Replace) which fonts are used in the document? You will know this if you check Presentation Statistics command (see above), T-Window for PowerPoint creates a text file containing useful statistics about the presentation.

You can see this by clicking on the arrow down.

You can see:
T Arial
T Times New Roman
? Helvetica
? whatnot

Fonts not available in your computer are the ones with a ? They have to replaced.
Replace them for fonts not present in the original.

4) Replace font by font.
5) Repeat the process for all the fonts.
6) Save the document
7) Translate !!
Last: To clean up, go to the Toolbar, under Trados, remove source segments.

Best of luck! )
Haydée
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 02:29
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Unavailable fonts in PowerPoint Apr 15, 2004

Hi all,
I have the same problem as jfwhiteley - my presentation contains unavailable fonts. I have followed the steps Haydee so kindly provided - but I may spend the afternoon clicking back and forth between ? and Arial in the Replace fonts dialog box. My presentation details are as follows:
Slide Count : 10
Word Count : 2034

--- Fonts ----------------------------------

Font Count : 7
Fonts :
Arial
Arial Black
Win
... See more
Hi all,
I have the same problem as jfwhiteley - my presentation contains unavailable fonts. I have followed the steps Haydee so kindly provided - but I may spend the afternoon clicking back and forth between ? and Arial in the Replace fonts dialog box. My presentation details are as follows:
Slide Count : 10
Word Count : 2034

--- Fonts ----------------------------------

Font Count : 7
Fonts :
Arial
Arial Black
Wingdings
Marlett
Symbol
Times New Roman
??

--- Object ---------------------------------

Embedded OLE Object Found on SlideMaster
Unknown Object Type (PowerPoint.Show.8)

Embedded Picture Found on Slide 1

Embedded Picture Found on Slide 5

Embedded Picture Found on Slide 8

============================================

I'm using T FL 5.5, Office 2000, Windows XP Pro, if you need all that
Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Nancy
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Why all afternoon? Apr 15, 2004

Hi Nancy,
I have followed the steps Haydee so kindly provided - but I may spend the afternoon clicking back and forth between ? and Arial in the Replace fonts dialog box.

Why would you need to spend all afternoon? You only need to replace those fonts which are not installed on your system - Times New Roman is a very common font, and I would guess Wingdings should also be there. With a font count of seven, this shouldn't take more than five minutes...?

Or am I missing something here?

Best, Ralf

PS It's not such a good idea to replace everything with Arial, as this makes it impossible to identify where you made changes.

PPS This problem has been solved for good with T6.5 - you can use TagEditor to work on PPT and Excel files.

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

All afternoon ;-) Apr 15, 2004

I tried to post this earlier but somehow it didn't stick.
I was able to replace the other fonts, but cannot replace ?? in the upper box. I make it Arial in the lower box, but the ?? never goes away, nor does an Arial line in the upper box.
Meanwhile, when I've tried to replace them 14 times, and figure they must all be relaced by now, when I attempt to translate I get the error message Unavailable fonts again.
whatever shall I do? My deadline is looming...
See more
I tried to post this earlier but somehow it didn't stick.
I was able to replace the other fonts, but cannot replace ?? in the upper box. I make it Arial in the lower box, but the ?? never goes away, nor does an Arial line in the upper box.
Meanwhile, when I've tried to replace them 14 times, and figure they must all be relaced by now, when I attempt to translate I get the error message Unavailable fonts again.
whatever shall I do? My deadline is looming
Nancy
Collapse

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

another message to be pointed out Apr 15, 2004

I forgot to mention... when I first open the presentation, I get a message saying that it may contain Far East characters that are not recognised.
The only languages in this presentation are English and French.
Thanks again!
Nancy

[Edited at 2004-04-15 18:42]

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Aha Apr 15, 2004

Thanks for adding this...

I forgot to mention... when I first open the presentation, I get a message saying that it may contain Far East characters that are not recognised.
The only languages in this presentation are English and French.

That might well be true, but if a Far East font was used somewhere in the file (it might not even be visible at all...), this will leave a trace; the double question mark probably indicates that your system doesn't even recognise the offending font.

Quick workaround: try breaking the presentation into sections, to isolate the slide(s) where that font occurs; translate these slides manually (or using T-Window for Clipboard), and subsequently reassemble the presentation.

Alternatively, zip the PPT and send it over; I'll convert it to .ttx, which you can try and work on in TagEditor.

Best, Ralf

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Wow, Ralf, thanks Apr 15, 2004

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Alternatively, zip the PPT and send it over; I'll convert it to .ttx, which you can try and work on in TagEditor.

Best, Ralf

And I'll be able to paste it all back where it belongs, do you think? I've gone ahead and begun to translate manually, but it will be a much longer process...
Nancy

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Pasting is not the issue Apr 15, 2004

...as TagEditor 6.5 converts PPT into .ttx and back (after translation, of course...). The issue is whether TE 5.5 can read the .ttx file produced using TE 6.5.

Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Trados handle PowerPoint Documents?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »