Thread poster: Patrick van der Stigchel
Patrick van der Stigchel
Patrick van der Stigchel  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:22
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 23, 2009

Around a month ago I posted a question on vanishing Trados/Workbench icons from quick access toolbar in Word 2007. Since no one has posted any reactions I thought that I had not explained the problem clearly enough in my first post...so this is my new attempt at clarity!

I am using Trados 2007 with Word 2007 on a Vista machine. I have the Trados/Workbench icons in the ribbon but I have also included some Trados icons in the Quick Access Toolbar. Let me briefly explain what I mean
... See more
Around a month ago I posted a question on vanishing Trados/Workbench icons from quick access toolbar in Word 2007. Since no one has posted any reactions I thought that I had not explained the problem clearly enough in my first post...so this is my new attempt at clarity!

I am using Trados 2007 with Word 2007 on a Vista machine. I have the Trados/Workbench icons in the ribbon but I have also included some Trados icons in the Quick Access Toolbar. Let me briefly explain what I mean by Quick Access Toolbar: when one opens Word 2007, on the top left hand corner there are often three small icons (Save, Undo and Redo). One can add other icons to these three by clicking on the arrow icon that follows these three icons. These icons are called Quick Access Toolbar. One can also place this Quick Access Toolbar under the ribbon. I have added Trados/Workbench icons in this Quick Access Toolbar so that I do not constantly need to shift from one tab to another in the ribbon while working, e.g. I can leave the ribbon on the Home or Insert tab while using the icons in the Quick Access Toolbar to us Trados/Workbench.

While this arrangement works, sometimes what seems to be very randomly, the Trados icons in the quick access toolbar disappear (only the Trados icons disappear, the other Word icons remain there unchanged). Would anyone know how I can stop the Trados icons from disappearing from the quick access toolbar? I've written to Trados and they think it is a Word problem and so they have no solution for this. While trying to solve the problem I have found out that the Quick Access Toolbar is saved as a ‘.qat’ file in the Roaming Profile of a User. What seems to be happening is that the ‘.qat’ file with the Trados icons included is being overwritten by some Word ‘qat’ template....but I cannot find a way to prevent this from happening. Any ideas on how to solve this? Has anyone found any workarounds to this problem?
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 19:22
English to Greek
+ ...
Contact SDL Mar 24, 2009

Hello Patrick,

I'm afraid I can't help you, because I use Word 2003. Have you tried contacting SDL? I have received very good support from them, after contacting them both by email and on their live chat service. Also, on one case, the answer to a problem I had, laid in an especially dedicated article from their Knowledge Base.

Best wishes,
E.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Vanishing Trados icons in Quick Access Toolbar in Word 2007

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »