TagEditor: untranslated words / missing tag
Thread poster: Hanna Burdon

Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:17
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2009

Coming back with more TagEditor trouble. Unfortunately, deadline is today, so I'm getting a little panicky.

Firstly, I thought that I was finished with the translation, but Trados informs me that there are 33 words untranslated, and I don't know how to find them in the file. I'm using TagEditor 8.2.0.835 (part of SDL Trados 2007).

Secondly, I thought that I would find those untranslated word by doing a spellcheck after saving the target doc file, but I can't do it, because, Trados informs me, a tag is missing. Again, how do I find the missing tag?

Please help!

Edit1: Saved second problem thanks to this thread: http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/131168-tag_editor_version_8_problems_with_save_target_as.html

Edit2: Which allowed me to find the untranslated words as above. Phew, panic over. If there is a more straightforward way of finding stray untranslated words in a big file, I'll still be happy to hear from you.

[Edited at 2009-03-27 10:03 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Margreet Logmans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Export unknowns Mar 27, 2009

Under Tools, Analyse

Run the analysis, then click Export unknown

This will give you a list of all untranslated segments/words.

Translate these and set them to the TM. You can then do Translate to Fuzzy to complete your translation.

For smaller documents, you can simply start Translate to Fuzzy. Trados will stop at each segment without a 100% match.

If your document is really big, Translate to Fuzzy will take a lot of time. In that case, if there are only a few Unknowns, you could use Find (in Word or Tag Editor) to locate the untranslated segments in your document.

It's not an elegant solution, but it works.

P.S. Please note that Translate to Fuzzy also stops at segments with more than one target in the TM, and it may stop at segments with different kinds of Tags. So you need to keep an eye on it. This is not necessarily a problem, in fact, it sometimes helps to spot problems/errors/mistakes you might have missed otherwise.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor: untranslated words / missing tag

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search