TagEditor segments words when opening a file converted from .pdf to .doc with Solid Converter PDF
Thread poster: Jorgen1977
Jorgen1977
Local time: 00:04
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Mar 30, 2009

This has happened twice in no time, I've received a file converted from .pdf to .doc with Solid Converter PDF. So far so good, but when I open it in TagEditor, it somehow splits not only sentences, but even one word into several segments. Any solution to this one?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-30 17:01 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

pltsanve
Slovenia
Local time: 23:04
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Just a suggestion Mar 30, 2009

Since it's quite comfortable and reliable (depends on the size and complexity of the pdf file), I'm using Solid Converter PDF (v5) quite often, and it's best to deselect "Use custom character spacing to retain original layout" option, otherwise there will be numerous spaces and/or line breaks all over the file, producing exactly the type of file you described in your post - a rather useless and a very large one. (And TE starts new segment after a double space ...)

If it's possible, the client should (re)deliver a workable file, and if they can't provide it, the source files are always the best option (there are few recent posts stating this).

Regards
Vesna

ps. If (although I doubt) I can help with conversion, you can send me an e-mail through my profile.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 23:04
English to Czech
+ ...
Remove paragraphs Mar 30, 2009

Hi Jorgen,
you should remove any excessive paragraph marks and soft breaks. The file should segment nicely then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor segments words when opening a file converted from .pdf to .doc with Solid Converter PDF

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search