TagEditor segments words when opening a file converted from .pdf to .doc with Solid Converter PDF
Thread poster: Jorgen1977

Jorgen1977
Local time: 04:34
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Mar 30, 2009

This has happened twice in no time, I've received a file converted from .pdf to .doc with Solid Converter PDF. So far so good, but when I open it in TagEditor, it somehow splits not only sentences, but even one word into several segments. Any solution to this one?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-30 17:01 GMT]

pltsanve
Slovenia
Local time: 03:34
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Just a suggestion Mar 30, 2009

Since it's quite comfortable and reliable (depends on the size and complexity of the pdf file), I'm using Solid Converter PDF (v5) quite often, and it's best to deselect "Use custom character spacing to retain original layout" option, otherwise there will be numerous spaces and/or line breaks all over the file, producing exactly the type of file you described in your post - a rather useless and a very large one. (And TE starts new segment after a double space ...)

If it's possible, the client should (re)deliver a workable file, and if they can't provide it, the source files are always the best option (there are few recent posts stating this).

Regards
Vesna

ps. If (although I doubt) I can help with conversion, you can send me an e-mail through my profile.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:34
English to Czech
+ ...
Remove paragraphs Mar 30, 2009

Hi Jorgen,
you should remove any excessive paragraph marks and soft breaks. The file should segment nicely then.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor segments words when opening a file converted from .pdf to .doc with Solid Converter PDF

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search