Thread poster: Rafał Kwiatkowski

Rafał Kwiatkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 12:36
German to Polish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2009

Hi!

I have DOC translated with Trados (in Word NOT TagEditor). I wish to convert the bilingual version to single language version but i want to remove the translation, taget segments and trados styles. I need clean source file. How can i do that?

Best Regards,
Rafal

Direct link Reply with quote

xanthippe  Identity Verified
France
Italian to French
+ ...
clean with workbench Apr 5, 2009

hello, you have to close your word file.
then you go in "traslator's workbench", you make sure that your TM is open
then you go to "tools">>>"clean up"

a windows appear and you go on "add", then you select the file you have to clean and....

then you go on "clean up"

I hope having be of some help....

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Er... I don't think so.... Apr 5, 2009

The previous poster has explained how to end up with ONLY the target segments. As I understand you, you want just the opposite, only the SOURCE segments.

I don't think there is an easy way, since this is not at all what Trados is intended for, and works in the completely opposite direction to normal.

The few times where I have wanted the original file back from a bilingual file, is to go through the whole document again, in this manner for each segment:

Open/get
Restore source
Open/get
Restore source
until you have gone through the whole document.

As far as I can see, this is the only way to do it. Lots of work, but that's the price to pay for either:
a) losing the original file (i.e. saving the bilingual file with the same name, and thus overwriting the original)
b) receiving bilingual files from some source (hopefully legally) and wanting to get the original back for some unknown (I can't think why you would want to do this, really!) reason.

Best of luck whatever your reason is!

Bill

Rebekka Groß  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:36
English to German
a couple of suggestions Apr 5, 2009

But first of all, are you absolutely sure you don't have the original file any longer? Not even as an e-mail attachment (provided you received it by e-mail) or on the client's ftp site?

I can think of one reason why you'd want to get rid of the target segments and that's when the client has pretranslated the file with the "Segment unknown sentences" checkbox (Tools > Translate) ticked. They used to do that a lot about 15 years ago when most translators didn't have Trados yet but the agencies had already purchased the tool. That way we received a file with the target text both in the hidden source and unhidden target segments allowing the client to create a TM after translation. If that's the case, ask the client to reprocess the file but leaving the checkbox unticked.

Now, here's for a solution that should work a lot faster than Bill's suggestion - which, incidentally was the first thing I thought of.

Make sure both hidden and normal text are displayed (Options > Tools). Use the Search & Replace feature in Word and proceed as follows.
1. In the Search & Replace dialog, place your cursor in the Search for box. Ensure you've extended the dialog to display the Format button at the bottom (I'm working from German version of Word 2002).
2. Click Format > Character and enable the Hidden checkbox
3. Leave the Replace with box blank.
4. Click Replace All.
5. After this, place your cursor once more in the Search for box.
6. Click Format > Character - the the Hidden checkbox should still be enabled. Select the correct purple colour for the control characters in the Text colour box.
7. Again, leave the Replace with box blank.
8. Click Replace All.
9. Close the dialog box.
10. Lastly, press Ctrl+A to select all the text in the file. Select Character from the Format menu and untick the Hidden checkbox to make the text visible.
This should leave you with the original text.

HTH.

Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for helping me :) Apr 6, 2009

I've made some automated solution.

1) write such macro:

Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles("tw4winMark")
With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
End With
Selection.Find.Execute
ActiveWindow.ActivePane.SmallScroll Down:=-2
Application.Run MacroName:="TemplateProject.tw4winOpen.Main"
Application.Run MacroName:="TemplateProject.tw4winRestoreSource.Main"

2) copy this code X times so when You run the macro, it'll perform X actions at one click.
(If You get error that the procedure is too long, open the macro code and delete some instances, then save it and try again)

3) write second macro:

Application.Run MacroName:="NAME_OF_PREVIOUS_MACRO"

This will multiply the effect.

4) Make shortcut (f.e. F7) to make the things easier.

If there'll be some damaged marker, the macro must run it's code to the end - it can't be interrupted, so please be patient and wait for the end, then repair the marker and run the macro once again.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I use PlusToyz if I need to recreate source Apr 6, 2009

agaetis wrote:

Hi!

I have DOC translated with Trados (in Word NOT TagEditor). I wish to convert the bilingual version to single language version but i want to remove the translation, taget segments and trados styles. I need clean source file. How can i do that?

Best Regards,
Rafal

PlusToyz:
http://www.geocities.com/avvysotsky/PlusToyz.zip

is a Word plug-in (dot file) with a number of good functions, one of the being "recreate source from the bilingual doc file".

By the way forgetting to keep the source file is a dangerous practice. I even make then read-only to avoid messing around with them.

Regards

Vito

Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Apr 6, 2009

Thanks Vito! The tool is very useful.

The macro is also plain and simple.

[Zmieniono 2009-04-06 06:10 GMT]

xanthippe  Identity Verified
France
Italian to French
+ ...
really sorry! Apr 6, 2009

William [Bill] Gray wrote:

The previous poster has explained how to end up with ONLY the target segments. As I understand you, you want just the opposite, only the SOURCE segments.
Bill

I'm really sorry! I misunderstood the question!

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
One more (silly) suggestion Apr 6, 2009

I've just thought of another way, which might work (or not, cause it's downright silly):

- Clean the file.
- Reverse the TM (create a new temporary one with reversed languages and import the proper TM).
- Translate automatically.

Of course, segmentation will probably get in the way... then alignment would be the next step.

But of course, with PlusToyz you don't have to do that!

P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:36
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
Find&replace Apr 6, 2009

From the wordfast manual:

Back to source
Q: Whoops! My documents have been pretranslated, and I don't have access to the originals. But now I would like to have the originals back, unsegmented. Apparently, it takes a lot of successive Find-Replace passes to un-segment documents...

A: Quite the contrary. It takes only one FR pass to do that.

Use Wildcards
Set the replacement font format to "not hidden" (check, then uncheck, the "Hidden" checkbox).

The only limitation is, make sure source segments do not contain hidden text. But they rarely do.

Note: the the same result can be achieved with the Alt+Delete shortcut, pressed when no segment is opened.

But, although I think this last shortcut is only for wordfast, I really dont know.

Regards
P.

[Edited at 2009-04-07 17:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-07 17:23 GMT]

Woooow I finally could insert the string!!!!

I hope it would be helpful for someone.

[Edited at 2009-04-07 17:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados - how to remove target segments?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search