https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/132061-why_does_trados_mess_up_lists_in_word2007_and_how_can_i_stop_it.html

Why does Trados mess up lists in Word2007 and how can I stop it?
Thread poster: David Jessop
David Jessop
David Jessop  Identity Verified
Laos
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2009

Hi,

I am using Trados with Word 2007 and working on a document that has bullet lists. When Trados opens a new segment, it adds another number to the list rather than replacing the number. For example, in a list that has 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3, when Trados opens 2.1, Word inserts a 2.4. This is very frustrating!!!

Any clues on how to stop these shennanigans???

Thanks!

David

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:30
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do the numbers remain after closing the segment? Apr 5, 2009

From what you describe I would suppose quite usual behaviour - when opening a segment the number in the list does not match its value from before the segment was opened. Simply because Trados adds paragraphs, which also get numbered.
However, if the number change remains after you close the segment, so something is wrong, most probably as usual the formating of your document is a mess.

To avoid all such problems simply use Tageditor. Tageditor is always the better choice, as i
... See more
From what you describe I would suppose quite usual behaviour - when opening a segment the number in the list does not match its value from before the segment was opened. Simply because Trados adds paragraphs, which also get numbered.
However, if the number change remains after you close the segment, so something is wrong, most probably as usual the formating of your document is a mess.

To avoid all such problems simply use Tageditor. Tageditor is always the better choice, as it does not change formatting, offers you additional checks unavailable in Word and is more reliable.

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Helen Matthews
Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:30
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
View as draft Apr 5, 2009

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem once I switched to Trados 2007 and Word 2007 (not sure which is guilty!!) - a very intelligent agency client of mine suggested I change my viewing mode from standard print layout to draft... and... problem solved!

Hope this helps

PS: am translating terms 'print layout' and draft' from the Italian 'layout di stampa' and 'bozza'... hope they're comprehensible
... See more
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem once I switched to Trados 2007 and Word 2007 (not sure which is guilty!!) - a very intelligent agency client of mine suggested I change my viewing mode from standard print layout to draft... and... problem solved!

Hope this helps

PS: am translating terms 'print layout' and draft' from the Italian 'layout di stampa' and 'bozza'... hope they're comprehensible and you can figure out the equivalent in whatever language your Office is in!

Helen
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:30
English to Dutch
+ ...
Clean-up Apr 6, 2009

The numbers will probably be correct after clean-up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why does Trados mess up lists in Word2007 and how can I stop it?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »