Error: "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench is not running", but it IS running!!!
Thread poster: Natalia Zudaire

Natalia Zudaire  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 5, 2009

I get this error message when I DO have TW running. I have done the following, all without success:

1) changed the Normal.dot template to a new one
2) uninstalled my antivirus program
3) uninstalled and reinstalled Trados
4) registered Trados after reinstalling
5) I restarted after reinstalling

I am hopeless, I don't know what to do.
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Natalia

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:22
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Basic information in your post is missing Apr 5, 2009

Which Trados version? Which Windows version?
It looks like would you have an older Trados version on Windows Vista...

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Versions Apr 5, 2009

I am using SDL Trados 2007 (TW ver. 8.3.0.863) running on Windows Vista Home Premium & MS Office 2003.

Natalia

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Check where the template has been installed Apr 5, 2009

The template you need is Trados8.dot

It has to be inistalled in c:\documents and settings\user name\application data\microsoft\word\startup.
In your case it is probably installed in c:\program files\microsoft office\office11\startup or even in both locations. If you find this template in other location then c:\documents and settings, delete it from there.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Location Apr 5, 2009

Hello Jerzy, thanks for helping me.

I have the template here:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

I don't have the path c:\documents and settings\user name\application data\microsoft\word\startup in my computer. I tried creating it, but it does not work.

I tried erasing completely the Tados8.dot template and reinstalling it from within Word (it was still in the original location at C:\Program Files\SDL International\T2007_FL\TT\Templates) and no luck either.

I also tried uninstalling the Wordfast template and any other template (leaving Trados8.dot only), and nothing changes.

Natalia

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some previous inputs Apr 6, 2009

Perhaps one of the following replies for similar problems work for you:

1)
Autoresponse Aug 2, 2007

I finally found that the User Account Control was preventing the Registration program to run properly, so I turned it off while I registered Trados and it did work well.
http://tur.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/80132-workbench_is_not_running___trados_2007-.html

2)
... then it has to be a Word/TWB OLE problem. To solve this kind of problem, try registering Trados components again by going to : Start menu -> Programs -> Trados 6.0 Freelance -> Register Trados 6.0 Freelance.

(from another forum)

3) (IT MIGHT BE SIMILAR, BUT USE WORKBENCH INSTEAD OF TAGEDITOR)
Did you try deleting the Trados registry entries? Sep 9, 2008

SDL Trados stores some settings in the registry. You could try deleting the entries under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Trados\TagEditor.

To get there select Run in the Start menu, then enter regedit and press Enter.
You could also try to re-register the Trados .dll files with the OS by selecting the Register SDL Trados menu option in the Trados start menu.
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/114727-tageditor_not_launching_at_all_no_error_message.html
Olaf

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no luck Apr 6, 2009

Thanks, Clarisa.

I have already tried registering again the program using the "Run as administrator" option (which overrides User Account Control).
I have now tried erasing the registry entries, and nothing new.. it keeps throwing me the same error.

I wrote SDL to ask for help, maybe they answer me tomorrow. I will let you know if I fix it.

Natalia

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SOLUTION Apr 8, 2009

I found the solution through the help of a colleague from another forum:

* I deactivated the user Control Account and restarted. Then I ran the Trados Register tool and that was it. It is of no use to run it as an adminitrator by right clicking on it, it is mandatory to deactivate the UAC and restart.

Thanks a lot for your help Jerzy and Clarisa!

Natalia

tlangford
Danish to English
Confirmation Jul 9, 2010

Hi all.

I was having the same problem with Vista SP2, Word 2003 SP3 and Workbench 2007 8.3.0.863.

As Natalia's post recommends, disabling UAC, rebooting and re-registering the Trados components using the shortcut in the Program menu worked (don't forget to right-click it and select 'Run as administrator'.

Windows security is for our benefit, right??

Anatolich  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 20:22
English to Russian
+ ...
Workbench is not running Jun 28, 2011

Once I found myself in a similar situation.
I found out that nothing like changing the sequence of starting Word and Workbench and even restarting the computer helps. But one thing does:
I closed all Word documents and started Word clicking its shortcut on the desktop.
In the new file a typed a string of characters and opend a segment. It worked.
And after that it worked in all other documents too.

mrspoirot
English to German
The problem reoccurs Dec 11, 2012

Two days ago I could solve this problem with Trados 7 and Word 10 by running the registration program as an administrator and for two days everything worked fine. But today the error message occurs again and the trick does not help any more. Can someone tell me how to deactivate this UAC mentioned in this thread? Or does anyone have another idea? The memory is definitely opened.
Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: "SDL Trados Translator's Workbench is not running", but it IS running!!!

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search